View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    Unfortunately in regards to your issue michalt I had a suspicion it was improper scan dimensions in a configuration file for your scanner, but I found that through xsane, not sane. It should have worked through the command line...
    I think it can be some problem with USB usb, maybe even the issue is not caused by the brother drivers. Because sane-find-scanner won't find the scanner, but scanimage -L and and lsusb does.

This is the outup of dmesg:

Code:
    Dec  4 21:21:14 Gurkha kernel: [  686.619600] usb 3-3: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
    Dec  4 21:21:14 Gurkha kernel: [  686.619627] usb 3-3: usbfs: process 7449 (scanimage) did not claim interface 1 before use
    Dec  4 21:21:15 Gurkha kernel: [  687.674368] usb 3-3: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
    Dec  4 21:21:15 Gurkha kernel: [  687.674398] usb 3-3: usbfs: process 7449 (scanimage) did not claim interface 1 before use
    Does it ring the bell to anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by michalt View Post
    I think it can be some problem with USB usb, maybe even the issue is not caused by the brother drivers. Because sane-find-scanner won't find the scanner, but scanimage -L and and lsusb does.

This is the outup of dmesg:

Code:
    Dec  4 21:21:14 Gurkha kernel: [  686.619600] usb 3-3: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
    Dec  4 21:21:14 Gurkha kernel: [  686.619627] usb 3-3: usbfs: process 7449 (scanimage) did not claim interface 1 before use
    Dec  4 21:21:15 Gurkha kernel: [  687.674368] usb 3-3: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1
    Dec  4 21:21:15 Gurkha kernel: [  687.674398] usb 3-3: usbfs: process 7449 (scanimage) did not claim interface 1 before use
    Does it ring the bell to anyone?
    Hmm, do you have a custom kernel?

Entering "interface 0 claimed by usblp" into Google shows some hints. This one may help:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=545288

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    Hmm, do you have a custom kernel?
    Nope. Also blacklisting usblp module doesn't seem to bring any change.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraft Bill View Post
    Well its back to square one with my brother MFC-5440CN printer I had no problems with 10.04 and the tutorial for getting it to work but now 11.04 I did it all over again but no luck this time guess enough has changed were it is now broken unless someone comes up with a new fix....
    May just be time/excuse for me to get one of them new wireless printer/fax/scanners
    Resolved this problem rather quickly with the following:
    1.) go to web site:
    http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.10/ubuntu-...amd64.deb.html
    2.) connect printer first to ethernet cable
    3.) run the following commands

1. Update the package index: # sudo apt-get update
    2. Install brother-lpr-drivers-extra deb package: # sudo apt-get install brother-lpr-drivers-extra

4.) go to system settings / printers
    hopefully a printer MFC-5440CN appears
    5.) print test page
    6.) right mouse click on printer icon in system settings page and duplicate
    7.) rename duplicated printer as MFC-544CN-USB
    8.) select properties
    9.) disconnect ethernet cable, connect USB cable
    10.) in properties field, change Device URL: usb://Brother/MFC-5440CN?serial=BROE6F992284
    11.) print test page using USB printer
    12.) make USB printer system wide default

Beans

Problems scanning with brscan2 with a Brother DCP-8065DN

Hi there.

I almost successfully got my Brother DCP-8065DN scanner/printer working under Ubuntu 12.04. I followed all recommendations on the brother page and this thread. I also have another Brother brscan4 model here, which is working without any clue.

The printer has USB and a network card. But there are two problems remaining when using it as scanner:

[1] brscan2 (2! - which is the intended version for this device) is not working.
    The scanner can be configured via brsaneconfig2, but will not work scanning with Xsane or equal programs.

[2] If I install brscan4 (yes 4!), the scanner works flawlessly when scanning black and white or greyscale. Color scans result in very bad experience.

Output:

brsaneconfig2 gives nothing (and again: this should work with this scanner)

brsaneconfig4 gives me:
    Code:
    brsaneconfig4 -q

Devices on network
      0 SCANNER_HOME        "DCP-8065DN"        I:192.168.178.43

scanimage -L
    device `brother4:net1;dev0' is a Brother *SCANNER_HOME DCP-8065DN
    Simplescan:

• Greyscale- and textscan works.
    • colorscan delivers wrong color (everything is pink)

Gscan2pdf:

• greyscale- and textscan works.
    • colorscan works with 150dpi and Color 24bit [FAST]

Greetings
    Axel
    Last edited by apos; January 6th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

Beans

Im running 12.10 ubuntu, every time i install the drivers for my mfc5840cn they install and work fine
    but
    the package manager wants to fix broken broken packages and remove the drivers?
    i havent read the entire post but am fixing to do so now
    but if i cant find info
    im posting now to speed up process
    any help? thanks in advanced
    this is what it says
    {Sorry, Ubuntu 12.10 has experienced an internal error
    if you notice further problems try restarting the computer}
    Allready done that ,restarted pc
    nevermind, i installed the drivers from synaptic and they were conflicting with the drivers from brother
    Last edited by jimbean; January 12th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

I'm very new to this, although I've used Ubuntu now since 8.04. What a useful thread!

I have an MFC-465CN printer/scanner, connected via USB which eventually worked perfectly when I updated to Ubuntu 10.04 on my desk-based computer.

I now have an Acer Aspire 5560 laptop on which I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit). After a number of tries, using information in this thread and the Brother website I eventually got the machine to work from the laptop but only as a network printer. It still works from the Ubuntu 10.04 system as both network and USB printer.

With or without the network cable attached, if I then connect the MFC-465 via the USB port the laptop computer recognizes it as a MFC465 printer, insists on connecting it a a generic text printer, which is absolutely useless as others in this thread have found!

Can anyone offer a solution, please? (expressed in very simple terms please!)

Much to my surprise and delight, somehow or other I have connected it as a network scanner with no problems at all from both machines!

Beans

hi morgan;

I wondered if you were familiar with the CUPS interface using your browser

if you paste

http://localhost:631/printers/

into a spare window on your browser, this should allow you to manage things..does it allow you to specify different things?

.......also from MENU: Administration: Printing ..can you open the printing interface and right-clicking on the icons select properties for each printer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    hi morgan;

I wondered if you were familiar with the CUPS interface using your browser

if you paste

http://localhost:631/printers/

into a spare window on your browser, this should allow you to manage things..does it allow you to specify different things?

.......also from MENU: Administration: Printing ..can you open the printing interface and right-clicking on the icons select properties for each printer?
    Many thanks.
    I have used the CUPS interface, but that does not seem to allow me to change things. Nor does Applications/System Tools/ System Settings/Printers.
    However if I select Printers from the menu (as for shutting down etc) then I could change it to use the Brother Driver for the USB connection.
    Having printed the test page from that window, though, I have to give it the three fingered salute to get out of the Printer Settings page! But it works on both USB and network connections! Many thanks, again, pdc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think this might be helpful if I was actually sure that the printer I am trying to use at work is compatible with linux! Brother MFCJ5910

I did find and download drivers but still seem to be getting it wrong.

Just to make life really hard there is no instruction for actually printing a document as opposed to a photo from a flash drive - which of course, would save a lot of bother.

Wondering if anyone can help me out on either - thanks.
    Still deciding what to say.....

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast