View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by carloscmt View Post
    I have a brother mfc 9120nc connected to the network. I am able to print but how can I install the scanner driver? I am new to ubuntu 10.10 and help will be greatly appreciated.
    Go here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n.html#brscan3

(your model is located on this list, "brscan3") and download the brscan3 and scan-key-tool .deb files. You probably have 32-bit. Then follow the instructions:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_scn1b.html

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...tion_scn3.html

Check my posts on this page and a last page regarding scanner installation - if I recall correctly there's a "gotcha" or two. It's not too hard, and if you get stuck don't hesitate to come back here.

You'll be doing all this through the command line. Don't be intimidated, just follow the instructions and make sure not to make a typo (copy and paste the commands to be sure). There are times when you'll have to issue a command as a "superuser" - you'll know if you issue the command and it errors out saying something about permissions. In that case type "sudo" without the quotations ahead of the command. It will ask you your password the first time.

If the instructions say you require packages, probably the easiest way as a new user is to open the Ubuntu Software Center, type the exact package into the search box and install.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I have a brother dcp 165c and I cannot install the driver on the new ubuntu 11.04

I do this
    Code:
    sudo aa-complain cupsd
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/dcp165c
    cd Downloads
    and up to here no problems, later I do this:

Code:
    sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all  (lpr-dcp165clpr-1.1.2-2.i386)
    and in here I get " bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' "

I tried fixing it with this
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/dcp165c
    but it didn't work.

Anyone has any ideas?
    Thank you.

Beans

Well its back to square one with my brother MFC-5440CN printer I had no problems with 10.04 and the tutorial for getting it to work but now 11.04 I did it all over again but no luck this time guess enough has changed were it is now broken unless someone comes up with a new fix....
    May just be time/excuse for me to get one of them new wireless printer/fax/scanners

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by luismgl View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all  (lpr-dcp165clpr-1.1.2-2.i386)
    and in here I get " bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' "
    Indicates something wrong in the script - did it work in 10.10?

Some of the Brother drivers seem to be specific to the distro version, which means they might not work for anyone under 11.04 until/if they're updated.

Given issues like these and the general concern I'm seeing over Unity, I'm not only holding off, I'm investigating replacements like Arch and Debian - running in a VM for now. Even tried Gentoo and did get it working although it's a lot of work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    Indicates something wrong in the script - did it work in 10.10?

Some of the Brother drivers seem to be specific to the distro version, which means they might not work for anyone under 11.04 until/if they're updated.

Given issues like these and the general concern I'm seeing over Unity, I'm not only holding off, I'm investigating replacements like Arch and Debian - running in a VM for now. Even tried Gentoo and did get it working although it's a lot of work.
    Haven't tried this on the 10.10, it was actually my first try with a Brother printer on a Linux system.

Searching for this issue in the companies official site was useless, they go far back to Ubuntu 8.04.

I might just put Windows or something running on a VM to get my work done, at least until there is a driver available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by luismgl View Post
    Haven't tried this on the 10.10, it was actually my first try with a Brother printer on a Linux system.

Searching for this issue in the companies official site was useless, they go far back to Ubuntu 8.04.

I might just put Windows or something running on a VM to get my work done, at least until there is a driver available.
    If you're using 32 bit Ubuntu, I just did these:
    sudo aa-complain cupsd
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/modelthen used Gdebi to install the .deb package. Installing in a 64 bit system you have to use the command line because you have to use the --force-all part of the command and if that can be done from the GUI I don't know how. I've installed Brother MFC-7820N and MFC-6490CW in different distros including 11.04 Ubuntu & Xubuntu. No problems at all. I used Gdebi to install the scanner package as well but had to do the one command line brsaneconfig(2,3,4) -a name=(name your device) model (model name) ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx That was it, it works fine.

sudo dpkg -i --force-all (lpr-dcp165clpr-1.1.2-2.i386)Did you try this command without the parentheses? I cheated when I installed onto the 64 bit systems. I just typed the "sudo dpkg -i --force-all" then copied and pasted the file name, no parentheses or other characters. Installed as expected. I hope you're able to get this working. I don't know if your machine is USB or networked but if networked, check the Device URI. Every time I install the Brother MFC-6490CW, the device URI starts out usb:/XXXXX. There's no USB cable so of course it doesn't print. I've had the best reliability with networked printers using socket. E.g. socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(inserting the i.p. address. Set the printer to have a static i.p. address) I hope this is of some help to you.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; April 30th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all (lpr-dcp165clpr-1.1.2-2.i386)Did you try this command without the parentheses? I cheated when I installed onto the 64 bit systems. I just typed the "sudo dpkg -i --force-all" then copied and pasted the file name, no parentheses or other characters.
    Well spotted - that could be the "(" syntax error the CLI referred to.

luismgl - when using dpkg, only use the parentheses if they are a part of the file name. Use the exact file name including the .deb extension.

If you get the file name wrong it will let you know by responding that there's no file with that name.

Beans

My MFC-440CN was easy to install. Printing and scanning worked well. I believe that it was always necessary to re-install the drivers after each upgrade, but 11.04 is a problem. Cannot add the printer. Add does not find the drivers, which have been installed and re-installed. Synaptic even has the drivers for the 440, but no joy.

Scanner is not recognized either.

Nothing special, USB connection to printer, a 32 bit PC install (a fresh install since update to 11.04 went poorly).

Help would be appreciated. I have read most of the relevant postings on this thread, tried many suggestions, but....no joy.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doubtful wisdom View Post
    My MFC-440CN was easy to install. Printing and scanning worked well. I believe that it was always necessary to re-install the drivers after each upgrade, but 11.04 is a problem. Cannot add the printer. Add does not find the drivers, which have been installed and re-installed. Synaptic even has the drivers for the 440, but no joy.

Scanner is not recognized either.

Nothing special, USB connection to printer, a 32 bit PC install (a fresh install since update to 11.04 went poorly).

Help would be appreciated. I have read most of the relevant postings on this thread, tried many suggestions, but....no joy.
    Have you tried the drivers from the Brother site rather than the drivers from the repos?

Most of the drivers there seem to be for all Ubuntu versions. Only one is listed as specifically for Ubuntu 10.10, the fax modem driver, and it's not even for your model.

I haven't tried the full functionality of my MFC-615W since the upgrade to 11.04, but the scanner is working fine over wireless so I presume the rest is as well.

Beans

I have now re-downloaded and re-installed 11.04 twice, just to be reasonably certain that the CD was not the problem. I am just trying to get the MFC-440CN printer to work first. I installed the drivers from Brother as I have done for other versions of Ubuntu. The 440 is seen as attached to USB. However, it will not add. Drivers are not found.

Wiped out 11.04. Re-installed from another CD and another download. Used Synaptic supplied 440 drivers. Printer will not add. Driver not found. Tried to install drivers from the Brother site, but dpkg did not want to do so, since I have "later" drivers installed.

Since drivers are installed, WHY can't I add the 440? Where are these drivers supposed to be located?

Many hours invested searching for answers and trying suggested solutions. Getting rather frustrated here. Lost everything with the bad initial up grade to 11.04, so may just re-install 10.10 and forget about it.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast