View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by visciousirene View Post
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libmtp8.rules

This directory is also empty, at least on my machine, Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit... thanks anyways
    Irene, I went and looked on my laptop which has 8.04 Hardy, the nearest files go from:
    "... 40-basic-permissions.rules ~~~ 40-permissions.rules ~~~ 45-fuse.rules ~~~ 45-linmtp7.rules..."
    There is no "45-libmtp8.rules".

On my other machine (Intrepid 8.10) we have, in the same directory,
    "... libmtp8.rules..." directly in the udev directory; but there is no "45" in front of the name.

I reckon that these files must change according to distro.
    Sometimes they are the same, sometimes a bit of research is needed, I should imagine.

Regards

John
    Last edited by Andavane; March 16th, 2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
    a) Sony Vaio VGN-S3HP (12.04 Precise)
    b) Lenovo Thinkpad X201i (12.04 Precise) Dual-boot ī Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Worked brilliantly for printing, but alas, scanning is so far a no-go. Xsane doesn't recognise the printer for some absurd reason...
    Using a brother MFC5860CN on Ubuntu64. What's odd is that last time I followed this guide, it worked ferpectly on Ubuntu32...
    Great guide though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why not just using

System - Administration - Users and groups- User rights - Use scanner ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The scanner fix for Brother MFC-8440 doesn't work for Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty because /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules doesn't exist! MFC-8440 requires brscan, not brscan2.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You need to edit
    Code:
    /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules in jaunty
    see my post at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=198

Beans

Thanks for the original guide. It worked well for my DCP-560CN to get the printer working on the network. But I had to go back to the Brother site for the scanner. However, all is well .........at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by luctor View Post
    You need to edit
    Code:
    /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules in jaunty
    see my post at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=198
    I think line 53, and what did you change exacly cause the line is:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666"
    in mine case.

I also added:
    Code:
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01e4", MODE="0666", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    to
    Code:
    /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane-extras.rules
    but it didn't help

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Great step by step guide! However, my printer all of a sudden doesn't work?!

I installed it less than 30 minutes ago! It printed the test page, it even printed two documents.

I restarted and tried printing something else and I get a message "printer may not be connected". I know its connected because the scanner works great...printing not so much.

I also noticed ubuntu installed the same printer after I had restarted so I have two icons of the same printer but neither work?

Any suggestions to fixing this? I followed the guide over and over again but no luck

Is there a way to just remove all the printers present and all the settings related to it with out the fresh install?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes. I had a similar problem. I think I fixed it by following the notes around Step 9. Try this.
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello all. I'm trying to get my printer (DCP-120C) working over the network. It is hosted on a Windows XP machine, and I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" beta x86_64. I've installed the drivers and followed the OP to the letter, and I see the printer in my CUPS page, but when I go to print a test page to it it says "Pending", then the page refreshes and I see "Stopped", with nothing appearing on the printer. Any suggestions?
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast