View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Great work! I have a DCP-7020 and had been trying to follow the instructions on Brother's web site with little luck. Your well-written HOWTO did the trick and I'm up and running with what appears to be fully functional MFC. One step closer to removing Windows altogether. Thanks again!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Another one adding my vote for installing lpr first. Then Cupswrapper, worked like a charm, Thank you. Have now used instructions on my MInt 32 bit and all went well. I know its ubuntu based but just fyi

Cart
    Last edited by ericartman; November 28th, 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: mint
    Retired and loving it
    life is a hell of a thing to happen to a human being

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Marvelous! Your method worked perfectly for my Brother HL-2070N with just a couple of small changes, all of which were menu options under System | Administration | Printing when I got to that point.

I then just deleted the old printer, changed the uri to the network address, changed the paper size to letter and viola! I had been struggling with this for days now, ever since upgrading to Gutsy. Thanks a ton!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i cannot for the life of me get the dcp-135c to work ???? errors everywhere lol any special ways for this printer?
    :-:-:-A operating system for the people we are-:-:-:

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newb

My Brother MFC 8420 was detected and installed as a printer automatically by Ubuntu 7.10. I jumped directly to the Scanner section and followed the steps without error other than the I/O errors after step 4 and after step 7. I deleted the printer and started with the printer steps and encountered the following errors installig the lpr driver. The cupswrapper installed fine. Have not been able to make work as a scanner yet even though it worked fine with Kubuntu 7.0.4
    Preparing to replace mfc8420lpr 1.1.2-1 (using mfc8420lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement mfc8420lpr ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mfc8420lpr.postrm: 3: /etc/init.d/lpd: not found
    dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: 3: /etc/init.d/lpd: not found
    dpkg: error processing mfc8420lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb (--install):
    subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: 3: /etc/init.d/lpd: not found
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
    subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mfc8420lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb

Beans

Hi BoarDWorld,

Thanks for your useful post.

The only thing is that I found an error in it. In the step 5 of the scanner installation you noted that Product ID for Brother MFC-215C is 018c. I tried this way and it didn't work.

So I executed the lsub command in the terminal and found that the Product ID for that printer-scanner is 0193 (the Vendor ID is the same you noted).

I changed it and it works perfectly.

Beans

Thanks guys!..that how-to worked a treat..i can now use my Brother DCP-540CN scanner! One more thing to go, and i can finally be rid of Windows forever!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by floresena View Post
    Hi BoarDWorld,

Thanks for your useful post.

The only thing is that I found an error in it. In the step 5 of the scanner installation you noted that Product ID for Brother MFC-215C is 018c. I tried this way and it didn't work.

So I executed the lsub command in the terminal and found that the Product ID for that printer-scanner is 0193 (the Vendor ID is the same you noted).

I changed it and it works perfectly.
    Hey thanks for that, you're quite right. That was daft of me as it will only apply to DCP-115C printers of course. It's now adjusted, Thanks!
    System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by neoroses View Post
    i cannot for the life of me get the dcp-135c to work ???? errors everywhere lol any special ways for this printer?
    Hello, I have taken a look at brothers website and it seems that it may not configure itself without a few more adjustments as follows:

After completing the driver installation open Firefox and enter the following into the address bar:
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    Click on “Manage Printers” and confirm that the device name(DCP135C) is listed there.

If the device name is NOT listed there, click on "Add Printer" and install the driver following the on-screen instructions.

The default port is USB. If you want to use a different port, click on “Modify Printer” and select the required printer port.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BoardDWorld; November 22nd, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
    System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Worked great for my MFC-440-CN Printer!
    Thanks!

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast