View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by spookyu View Post
    Hey, great how to, perfect for someone who is only a little linux savvy like myself. One minor problem that I could use a hand with though. I installed the printer driver perfectly by following your steps. I also installed the scanner driver without much of a hitch, but unfortunately xsane doesn't see the scanner (I have an MFC-465CN) and I need to continue with step 5. The problem is that I have my printer connected directly to the router and I'm not sure how to find the vendor ID as the printer doesn't come up when I enter that one command into the terminal (I assume that list is of things connected to my computer directly). So I just need to know how to find out my vendor ID and all that so I can finish setting this thing up. Thanks for your help.

I've never had to set up a network printer before but I'll try helping. Firstly I don't think you'll need to add it to your libsane.rules. I would first try the following command I found HERE

Code:
    brsaneconfig2 -a name=SCANNER1 model=MFC-465CN ip=xx.xx.xx.xx
    You'll need to find out your printers IP by logging into your router and viewing the connected devices. You will find your printer and its IP, change xx.xx.xx.xx in the code above to suit.

If you did need to add it to your libsane.rules you could simply connect your printer directly to your computer just to obtain it, I'm not savvy enough to tell you how to achieve this via network.
    Last edited by BoardDWorld; January 9th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
    System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy (clean install, back then)
    Brother DCP-330c
    MSI S271 notebook

starting situation: no print, no scan

ending situation: can print, some issue with margins. Scan not yet fully tested, as a user I got permission errors before editing the udev rules, guess that is also sorted out now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks all for either writing a nice howto or supplying with similar errors as I got with some hints.

After reading through the first 5 pages (and some other threads), I convinced my system that in the END the printer really should start doing what it was bought for, and while typing this post, my dcp-330c is printing the code I will paste below for future reference

I followed a bit of a different path, as under Feisty I could get away with (mostly) installing the .debs as root with csh as shell. No luck this time though, but in the end it worked out.

Code:
    wbk@sandi:~$ su -
    Password:
    root@sandi:~# cd /home/wbk/download/
    root@sandi:/home/wbk/download# ls
    brscan2-0.2.4-0.amd64.deb  dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb  dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb

root@sandi:/home/wbk/download# csh

# sudo dpkg -i --force-all  dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb
    dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
     package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Selecting previously deselected package dcp330clpr.
    (Reading database ... 143716 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking dcp330clpr (from dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up dcp330clpr (1.0.0-9) ...
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd/dcp330c': No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp330c': No such file or directory
    chgrp: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp330c': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp330c': No such file or directory

# mkdir /var/spool/lpd

# dpkg -i dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb (--install):
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb

# dpkg -i --force-all  dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 143735 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace dcp330clpr 1.0.0-9 (using dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement dcp330clpr ...
    Setting up dcp330clpr (1.0.0-9) ...

# ls
    brscan2-0.2.4-0.amd64.deb  dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb  dcp330clpr-1.0.0-9.i386.deb

# dpkg -i --force-all  dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package dcp330ccupswrapper.
    (Reading database ... 143735 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking dcp330ccupswrapper (from dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up dcp330ccupswrapper (1.0.0-10) ...
    cp: `/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c' and `/usr/lib64/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c' are the same file
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                                                                                                                           [ OK ]

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793, step 8)
    # ls /usr/lib/cups/filter/
    brlpdwrapperdcp330c  commandtoepson  foomatic-rip  hpgltops   imagetoraster  pdftops  pstopxl     rastertodymo   rastertogutenprint.5.0  rastertolabel  textonly
    commandtocanon       cupsomatic      gziptoany     imagetops  oopstops       pstops   pstoraster  rastertoepson  rastertohp              rastertospl2   texttops
    # ls /usr/lib64/cups/filter/
    brlpdwrapperdcp330c  commandtoepson  foomatic-rip  hpgltops   imagetoraster  pdftops  pstopxl     rastertodymo   rastertogutenprint.5.0  rastertolabel  textonly
    commandtocanon       cupsomatic      gziptoany     imagetops  oopstops       pstops   pstoraster  rastertoepson  rastertohp              rastertospl2   texttops
    #

# dpkg -i brscan2-0.2.4-0.amd64.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package brscan2.
    (Reading database ... 143738 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking brscan2 (from brscan2-0.2.4-0.amd64.deb) ...
    Setting up brscan2 (0.2.4) ...

#

Install ready, no good though
    ==================================================

retry:
    ---------------------------
    wbk@sandi:~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture /home/wbk/download/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 143822 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace dcp330ccupswrapper 1.0.0-10 (using .../dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement dcp330ccupswrapper ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/dcp330ccupswrapper.postinst: 3: /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcp330c: not found
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/cups/model/brdcp330c.ppd': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing dcp330ccupswrapper (--install):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
     dcp330ccupswrapper
    wbk@sandi:~$ ls /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/
    inf/ lpd/
    wbk@sandi:~$ ls /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/inf/
    brdcp330cfunc    brio06ab.bcm     brio06af.bcm     brPrintListij2   setupPrintcapij
    brdcp330crc      brio06ac.bcm     brio06ag.bcm     paperinfij2
    wbk@sandi:~$ ls /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/lpd/
    brdcp330cfilter  filterdcp330c  psconvertij2
    wbk@sandi:~$ lpinfo -v
    network socket
    network beh
    direct usb://Brother/DCP-330C
    direct hpfax
    direct hp
    network http
    network ipp
    network lpd
    file cups-pdf:/
    direct scsi
    network smb
    wbk@sandi:~$ ls /usr/share/cups/model

===========================================
    2 changes: rm * cupswrapp, dpkg force all:
    -------------------------------------------

wbk@sandi:~$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/dcp330ccupswrapp*
    wbk@sandi:~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all /home/wbk/download/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb
    (Reading database ...
    dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `dcp330ccupswrapper' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
    143819 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace dcp330ccupswrapper 1.0.0-10 (using .../dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.0-10.i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement dcp330ccupswrapper ...
    cp: `/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c' and `/usr/lib64/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c' are the same file
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                                                                         [ OK ]

wbk@sandi:~$

Now I can print,but all of the page is moved vertically. I read that some more users got that symptom, but I could not figure out yet how it is solved.

Thanks again, good luck to all of you

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Now I can print,but all of the page is moved vertically. I read that some more users got that symptom, but I could not figure out yet how it is solved.
    Maybe I found the cause: in the KDE print administration all formats were set to A4, but the web interface of CUPS still showed letter format.

This behaviour (KDE admin module and/or incorrect vertical margins)... could it have to do with the differences in Feisty and Gutsy? (I didn't use the printer too long with Feisty) Or is it since it is Apple instead of Eazy Software Products?

Anyway, too deep in the night for me now to test more.Relieved basic printing works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    starting situation: no print, no scan

ending situation: can print, some issue with margins. Scan not yet fully tested, as a user I got permission errors before editing the udev rules, guess that is also sorted out now.
    Just a quick test: scanning as user (with fuse permission) works. Since I expect most of the margins-issues are solved as well, that leaves me without issues!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well the printer works regardless of the errors I got with the lpr driver.

Code:
    from lpr driver

ian@lotus-control:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc6800lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb
    [sudo] password for ian:
    Selecting previously deselected package mfc6800lpr.
    (Reading database ... 108426 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mfc6800lpr (from mfc6800lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up mfc6800lpr (1.1.2-1) ...
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd/MFC6800': No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/MFC6800': No such file or directory
    chgrp: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/MFC6800': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/MFC6800': No such file or directory
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mfc6800lpr.postinst: 4: /etc/init.d/lpd: not found
    dpkg: error processing mfc6800lpr (--install):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
     mfc6800lpr

from cupswrapper

ian@lotus-control:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC6800-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package cupswrappermfc6800.
    (Reading database ... 108440 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cupswrappermfc6800 (from cupswrapperMFC6800-1.0.2-1.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cupswrappermfc6800 (1.0.2-1) ...
    rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC6800
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
    As you can see, the cups driver still installed corectly. I have to disagree with the brother site being any help. According to them, I am supposed to have something called lpd installed first. I don't have that installed. The only thing I did different on this try is to install that thcs or whatever it was. Some kind of c shell? Sorry I forgot the name but the first thing you say to install. What is that and why is it nessesary? Last time I tried installing without it, I got a ton of errors and then couldn't remove the partially installed driver, but apt-get, update console, and synaptic wouldn't work. Nothing would remove it so I had to format and start over.
    I'm glad this worked. Thanks a lot for the how to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

don't know what happend. The printer quit working and now my synaptic and apt-get are locked up and won't work. Looks like I'm going to have to format again.

all the brother install howto's keep telling me to install the lpr package and then they go on to the other steps. my problem is I can't get past the first part. lpr won't install. Its telling me now that there's no /etc/init.d/lpd isn't lpd part of the lpr package? Of cource it can't find it. It hasn't installed it yet!! Brother says lpd needs to be installed before installing the cups wrapper driver. What tha heck is lpd and where is it?!! I freakin hate brother and will never buy one again!

Beans

Thank you SO MUCH! Couldn't get my MFC 420CN working before, and now I just printed a test page (first try!) as well as a test page I had tried to print from within a VMware virtual machine yesterday! I havn't tried to do the scanner yet, but the printing works and that is AWESOME. Thank you so much

=D>=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Which is the best director to put drivers when you installed them ?

I guess my question is that if I download them to desktop and install and have everything working, if I delete my downloaded folders both the compressed download and the extracted download which I used for my driver installation, will that break my install if I remove those folders ?

I'm not sure how the linux drivers installation works does it continue to use those file on the desktop or does it copy/create what it needs then I can discard those files ???

Please advise
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iansane View Post
    don't know what happend. The printer quit working and now my synaptic and apt-get are locked up and won't work. Looks like I'm going to have to format again.
    Apt is quite a robust system, and it takes a while to make it lock up. The not so bright side is, that it is also more difficult to solve a problem once it really does not work anymore.

If you used synaptic and apt-get with no luck, you can still try aptitude instead (command line tool as well, it scripts around apt-get)

Did you look up the errors you got from apt-get? Maybe you could ask help for that in a seperate thread.

all the brother install howto's keep telling me to install the lpr package and then they go on to the other steps. my problem is I can't get past the first part. lpr won't install. Its telling me now that there's no /etc/init.d/lpd isn't lpd part of the lpr package? Of cource it can't find it. It hasn't installed it yet!!
    It is a bit confusing, but there are various print systems available for Linux. One of the deamons is lpd, and to let that deamon use your printer, it needs the lpr driver from Brother.

Ubuntu 7.10 seems not to have a package lpd installed, but another package that includes lpd. Did you use dpkg with --force-all ?

Brother says lpd needs to be installed before installing the cups wrapper driver. What tha heck is lpd and where is it?!! I freakin hate brother and will never buy one again!
    I have to admit that it took me a while to get my DCP-330c up and running as well. I bought a Brother especially because Brother develops Linux drivers, so I expected a painless install.

It seems they still have to work on the website a bit, since it is not too clear for people just starting Linux.

I have heard and read though, that the support team is very responsive, so you could try sending them an email.

All in all, now that my printer is working and comes with big, easy to refill cartridges (admitted, that was a strong incentive as well to buy Brother, though Linux support came first) I am happy with my printer and do not hesitate to give a positive buying advice for those who need a reliable printer for documents (I did not use the photo printing capabilities and do not expect too much from them)

Anyway, good luck with your system!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    Which is the best director to put drivers when you installed them ?

I guess my question is that if I download them to desktop and install and have everything working, if I delete my downloaded folders both the compressed download and the extracted download which I used for my driver installation, will that break my install if I remove those folders ?

I'm not sure how the linux drivers installation works does it continue to use those file on the desktop or does it copy/create what it needs then I can discard those files ???

Please advise
    Thanks
    Hi AgentZ86,

I expect that you can just throw away those files and folders. It depends a bit though on which package you downloaded and how you installed it.

If you used dpkg, and did not _try_ to install the drivers on your desktop, then dpkg copied them to the appropriate system directories.

On the other hand, if you used sources (as far as they are available) and asked to install them on your desktop, then they are where you said to put them.

If all of this does not make much sense to you, than you probably took the first path, and that means that you can throw away those files on your desktop.

You can find loads of information on directory structures in GNU/Linux on the net, you could start at http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/ or, more in depth, at http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem...tml/index.html

Good luck!

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast