View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Iam using a (fresh) install of Gutsy and following your "how to" without the LPR didnt work for me, upon rolling back and trying again WITH the LPR I got the printer working....I think it might be worth leaving the part ref the LPR..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Are you sure? As you can see from my guide I too am using the DCP-115C WITHOUT the LPR. This is actually working better than Feisty that needs the LPR as page positioning was out of alignment. Also print initiating is far quicker than I have ever had it before on any OS. Are you using Gutsy or an earlier OS? as my guide is focussed at Gutsy.
    System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans

Hi,

thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, it didn't help me. I have an MFC-425CN connected as a networked printer, and after following your guide the printer doesn't print. I don't get any error messages whatsoever.

I have another installation of Ubuntu (7.04) and the printer works properly - I have to re-boot to this installation to print documents, and it's frustrating having to do this!

I originally installed the printer WITH the LPR driver, following the same routine I had used under earlier Ubuntu installations. However, when printing, the top of the page was missing (about an inch or so). When I discovered your How-To, I uninstalled the Brother LPR and CUPSWrapper drivers, then re-installed CUPSWrapper (without the LPR driver). Unfortunately, the printer doesn't work at all. It is detected, and I can change settings, but it just doesn't print.

Here's a printout from "printingbuginfo" which I have included in case there's anything of use.

Thanks,

Ewan

ProblemType: printingbuginfo v2.0: printingbug (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrintingBugInfoScript)
    CupsConfiguredDevices:
    device for MFC210C: socket://192.168.0.2:9100
    device for PDF: cups-pdf:/
    CupsConfiguredPPDs:
    MFC-425CNold: Brother MFC-210C CUPS v1.1
    MFC210C: Brother MFC-210C CUPS v1.1
    PDF: Generic PDF file generator
    Date: Fri Nov 2 13:33:40 2007
    DesktopEnvironment: GNOME
    DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
    EtcPapersize: A4
    InstalledPrintingPackages:
    ii cupsys 1.3.2-1ubuntu7 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
    ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.1-0ubuntu8 printer drivers for CUPS
    ii foo2zjs 20070625-0ubuntu1 Support for printing to ZjStream-based printers
    ii foomatic-db 20070919-0ubuntu3 OpenPrinting printer support - database
    ii foomatic-db-engine 3.0.2-20070719-0ubuntu4 OpenPrinting printer support - programs
    ii foomatic-db-hpijs 20070813-0ubuntu1 OpenPrinting printer support - database for HPIJS driver
    ii foomatic-filters 3.0.2-20070719-0ubuntu1 OpenPrinting printer support - filters
    ii ghostscript 8.61.dfsg.1~svn8187-0ubu The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpreter
    ii hpijs 2.7.7+2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubun HP Linux Printing and Imaging - gs IJS driver (hpijs)
    ii hplip 2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
    ii libgnomeprint2.2-0 2.18.2-0ubuntu1 The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - runtime files
    ii min12xxw 0.0.9-1build1 Printer driver for KonicaMinolta PagePro 1[234]xxW
    ii openprinting-ppds 20070919-0ubuntu3 OpenPrinting printer support - PostScript PPD files
    ii pnm2ppa 1.12-16 PPM to PPA converter
    ii pxljr 1.1-0ubuntu1 Driver for HP's Color LaserJet 35xx/36xx color laser printers
    ii splix 1.0.1.1-0ubuntu2 Driver for Samsung's SPL2 (bw) and SPLc (color) laser printers
    ii system-config-printer 0.7.75+svn1653-0ubuntu2 Printer configuration GUI
    Locale: LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_AU.UTF-8, LC_PAPER=en_AU.UTF-8
    Uname: Linux latitude 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Beans

Thanks for the detailed Howto. I followed it carefully and didn't resolve the problem (not printing on Brother DCP-115C after Gutsy upgrade, although it does scan). However, the symptoms have changed: before, the print job disappeared from the screen after a while, now it stays forever, in both cases nothing coming out of the printer; also, now the URI in Printers - Interface is wrong, and I cannot modify it, since the option "local printer" is greyed out. What can I do? Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the how-to! I am now able to print to our networked MFC-640CW.

The scanner function still eludes me however. I followed the how-to and when I start XSane it tells me there are no scanners. Would the problem be that it is networked rather than directly attached? I have a feeling it is...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dukbilt View Post
    Hi,

thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, it didn't help me. I have an MFC-425CN connected as a networked printer, and after following your guide the printer doesn't print. I don't get any error messages whatsoever.
    Hi there!

I've been able to setup the same printer on Gutsy.

If networked you have to go into cups web interface http://localhost:631 and modify printer port.
    It's not an IPP o TCP network queue.

IT'S AN LPD/LPRNG NETWORK QUEUE.

After selecting LPD queue set the address on socket://IPADDRESS:9100
    (change IPADDRESS with the hostname or ip address of your printer).

It will work also without installing the LPD brother driver...

Don't forget to setup paper and margins, and the True2life color enancement for better color printing.

Beans

Still no joy - when I attempt to print, I receive an error - "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C failed". Why is it attempting to use the brlpdwrapper driver if it doesn't need it???

So I removed the brlpdwrapper file - now I get:

Unable to start filter "brlpdwrapperMFC210C" - No such file or directory.

Any suggestions?

Ewan

EDIT - I have looked through the script file for "cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2" and it creates the "brlpdwrapperMFC210C" automatically... So the problem is either in one of those two files, I think.

Ewan

EDIT - I have discovered that the brprintconfij2 file did not exist in the /usr/bin directory. I copied the file from my Ubuntu 7.04 installation into the /usr/bin (7.10) and now there are no CUPS errors! However - it still won't print! AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I have tried re-starting CUPS, but to no avail... Any suggestions now?
    Last edited by dukbilt; November 4th, 2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Update

Beans

My Brother MFC-420CN stopped printing after I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10. I tried various things as outlined in the this discussion. Here is what finally worked for me:

Uninstalled all "mfc" related packages (ran System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager; searched for "mfc" and removed all matching PRINTER RELATED packages).

Downloaded and installed latest packages from the Brother site INCLUDING the lpr package. Installed the lpr package first, then the cupswrapper as follows:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc420cnlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC420CN-1.0.2-3.i386.deb

Now, I understand that Ubuntu 7.10 does not require the lpr package anymore, but I think the Brother scripts expect it, because when I do NOT install the lpr package first I get this (note the error) when I install the cupswrapper::

Selecting previously deselected package cupswrappermfc420cn.
    (Reading database ... 142310 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cupswrappermfc420cn (from cupswrapperMFC420CN-1.0.2-3.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cupswrappermfc420cn (1.0.2-3) ...
    ERROR : Brother LPD filter is not installed.
    rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC420CN
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Brother/inf/brMFC420CNrc': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Brother/inf': No such file or directory
    * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd

As a final note, it does not appear to me that Ubuntu is acutally *using* the lpr package, but it does seem to make the cupswrapper installation work.

In any case, my printer is now working fully (I also did the scanner update as noted earlier in this discussion), and I am once again a happy Ubuntu user.

Beans
    Hidden!

Shame you missed the long running howto and various links for setting up Brother printers on the forum already:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302960

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=123539

Anyhow, these threads might help those who get stuck. Also interested to see that you didn't have to switch off the printer/MFC at any point. This was a big stumbling point with Edgy/Feisty for many users.
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nathandetroit View Post
    My Brother MFC-420CN stopped printing after I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10. I tried various things as outlined in the this discussion. Here is what finally worked for me:

Uninstalled all "mfc" related packages (ran System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager; searched for "mfc" and removed all matching PRINTER RELATED packages).

Downloaded and installed latest packages from the Brother site INCLUDING the lpr package. Installed the lpr package first, then the cupswrapper as follows:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc420cnlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC420CN-1.0.2-3.i386.deb

Now, I understand that Ubuntu 7.10 does not require the lpr package anymore, but I think the Brother scripts expect it, because when I do NOT install the lpr package first I get this (note the error) when I install the cupswrapper::

Selecting previously deselected package cupswrappermfc420cn.
    (Reading database ... 142310 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cupswrappermfc420cn (from cupswrapperMFC420CN-1.0.2-3.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cupswrappermfc420cn (1.0.2-3) ...
    ERROR : Brother LPD filter is not installed.
    rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC420CN
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Brother/inf/brMFC420CNrc': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Brother/inf': No such file or directory
    * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd

As a final note, it does not appear to me that Ubuntu is acutally *using* the lpr package, but it does seem to make the cupswrapper installation work.

In any case, my printer is now working fully (I also did the scanner update as noted earlier in this discussion), and I am once again a happy Ubuntu user.
    I had problems with the MFC-210C not working when I only installed the CUPS, but when I followed these steps and included the LPR, it worked perfectly, thanks nathan.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast