View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

This http://askubuntu.com/questions/14568...etwork-scannerlink helped me set up my Mfc J825dw

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Thank you for solving my problem. I have 13.04 and after downloading from the brother website, I didn't have a single problem. I spent forever trying to find instructions. Thanks again.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

hi i have a lenov y730 and a samsung nb28 plus with a brother mfc465cn and i am at the step to check the scanner by xsane and it seems that it doesn't see it. And the file gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules is EMPTY !!

PLEASE help !!!!

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 13.04 on 64bits PC portable. Do you know if I can easily use DCP-7055 printer and scanner on Ubuntu 13.04 ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gigi
    Last edited by gperrot; July 1st, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

Just wanted to note here, I finally got my MFC210C scanner to work in 12.04 64bit - the package from Brother works, however, it installs some symlinks in (at work, but I believe /usr/lib/sane) that when I ran xsane in a debug mode complained about too many links (links of links of links)... so I copied the files to that location and it then worked (along with modifying the 40-libsane-rules file and dll.conf as is scattered throughout the forums/threads/websites)...

Beans

Hello,

could anyone help me with getting the Brother DCP-J140W printer running on my raspberry?
    Or has anyone experiences with brother printer drivers and armhf architectures?

Best regards

wewa

EDIT: I tried to install the driver on my own. I installed both i386 drivers (lpr and cupswrapper) with the force option. Then I compiled the cupswrapper source and replaced the old binary from the *.deb package with the new binary. Than I added the printer via CUPS webinterface. And tried to print a testpage. But still without success. To get some additional information I set the cups logger to "debug". Here http://codeviewer.org/view/code:3662 you can see the debug log.
    Can you find any errors?
    Last edited by wewa2; September 12th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Brother MFC-J6710DW Now Prints (Ubuntu 13.04 x64) -Thank You!

Here are a few notes for those who are Newer Noobs like myself. Step 10 gave me a bit of trouble due to my own lack of knowledge. First I used Midnight Commander to find the LPD Wrapper and get the correct filename to copy. Next, I had to cd to /usr/lib64 and use mkdir to create the folder "cups", cd to cups and create the folder "filter". After that, I was able to copy the LPD Wrapper into the new /usr/lib64/cups/filter folder.

Thanks Again,
    Dave Leland

I know this is an old thread, but for those who are still having problems...

I have the Brother MFC-J615w (Wireless thus the W...lol)
    I tried all the above and nothing worked, they may have contributed to what now works, but this is what finally made it all come together, so I say try this and if this isn't the solution do all the other stuff too
    the directions never mention super user, but I found it helpful to use it

remember "sudo nautilus" in a terminal... then proceed
    Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.4, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10 or farther (in my case, 13.10 32 bit)

Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.2. Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):
    If there is "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"", add the following 2 lines before "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"".

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

3. Restart the OS.

4. scan away...

Beans

I am a complete newbie to Ubuntu. Although I have tried to use it several times. When I first loaded Ubuntu everything went well. Printer and all hardware installed in a breeze. But as last time after several days, the printer won't work again, I can't set a home page, there are no help pages from the help in the task bar. I know nothing about "code", and what should be a simple fix turns to a major project. That is why I have never kept linux very long because it can be so flustrating. So as much as I hate Microsoft Windows, Linux makes everything so damn complicated. I have tried to find out why my printer doesn't work most of the day yesterday to no avail. No one seems interested in helping, and when they do, they start talking over my head about things of which I know nothing. Nothing is ever simple. Even your help pages seem to think everone is a computer whiz, which I wish I was. I am very flustrated.
    Gary

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by larytet View Post
    My /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-printer.rules file

Code:
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01a8", MODE="0666"
    To make scanner to work without sudo for all users I did following
    1. Edit file (create if it does not exist)
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
    2. Add line
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes", MODE="0666"

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast