View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I have not followed all the pages, so I'm not sure if this was said before.

On the brother website, there is an FAQ which provides a universal installer for brother printers. My network printer (HL-2250DN) worked flawlessly after trying all solutions with no result.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00090

This is the blog post that led me there:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5976666/the_retail_detail_brother_releases.html

When I was prompted for the URI of the printer, I chose (through trial and error) the option to specify the IP of the printer (I did know it, though).

Hope this helps anyone.
    Last edited by alecxs; September 6th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

i cant get my printer to work over a network. the printers drivers installed correctly, and its reognized in the "printers" menu.
    but it says "printer may not be connected"
    for the URl it says :usb:/dev/usb/lp0
    but i want it to be used wirelessly, so shouldnt it say the printers IP adress that i gave to set it up?
    kind of a newb, help please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

For Wireless and Wired Printer Driver setup:

This worked for my wireless Brother MFC-665CW.
    [NOTE: If you have another model just search for it in your software manager - you may have to turn on multiverse repository too]

Printer Driver is already in Ubuntu's Multiverse Repository.
    Just goto synaptic and install:
    brother-lpr-drivers-bh7 [or whatever package includes your printers driver - see note above]

Then install the printer using your printer manager. (the driver should be automatically selected for you.)

--------------------------------------------
    For Scanner on wireless setup:

download and install: appropriate brscan package from Brother's Site: Here

Then inside a terminal enter: brsaneconfig2 -a name=whatever-name-you-choose model=Your-Printer-Model ip=192.168.x.x
    [NOTE: Use brsaneconfig (for brscan models), brsaneconfig2 (for brscan2 models) or brsaneconfig3 (for brscan3 models) accordingly.

That's it, you can use your scanner software now.
    Last edited by photonian; October 30th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone had this problem and solved it?

Brother DCP-540CN, print and scan drivers all working fine on Xubuntu 11.10. Up until now, the driver has never recognised or done anything with ink levels, but having replaced a colour catridge, the driver now complains that I have no ink left, and refuses to print. I was able to get the print run through by switching off and on the printer. However the error message still remains....
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

HI guys, I've just installed my DCP-165C cups driver, and it works fine for me. But the scan drivers don't, the brscan can't see my device... I've got all the needed drivers installed, and added the
    Code:
    # Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

Any idea?

Code:
    daniel@oneiric:~$ dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    ii  brscan-skey                                    0.2.1-3                                 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii  brscan3                                        0.2.11-4                                Brother Scanner Driver
    ii  dcp165ccupswrapper:i386                        1.1.2-2                                 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii  dcp165clpr:i386                                1.1.2-2                                 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii  dcp195ccupswrapper:i386                        1.1.2-2                                 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii  dcp195clpr:i386                                1.1.2-1                                 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii  ptouch-driver                                  1.3-0ubuntu11                           CUPS/Foomatic driver for Brother P-touch label printers

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

ubuntu 11.04. Followed Brother's instructions precisely. Worked like a charm on my wife's 10.10 system. Will not work on this 11.04 system. Tried some of the suggestions here.

The printer shows up but will not print, clean heads, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by RefinersFire; December 5th, 2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: I finally got it working

Beans

Is there anything like this for a lexmark x4650 3 in one printer?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by War Tribe View Post
    Is there anything like this for a lexmark x4650 3 in one printer?
    Google search on:

lexmark x4650 ubuntu

About 40,200 results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I am now using Linux Mint 12 and while it is not Ubuntu, I believe the printer application is the same.

I noticed that before printing, the tabs in the pop-up dialog no longer offer the choice of "Draft" or "Normal" when printing PDFs. I assume that the "Normal" (ie. NON-toner saving) mode is enabled as default.

My printer is a Brother HL-2140L.

Would you know how to reset the application to be what it used to be under Maverick?
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rykel View Post
    I am now using Linux Mint 12 and while it is not Ubuntu, I believe the printer application is the same.

I noticed that before printing, the tabs in the pop-up dialog no longer offer the choice of "Draft" or "Normal" when printing PDFs. I assume that the "Normal" (ie. NON-toner saving) mode is enabled as default.

My printer is a Brother HL-2140L.

Would you know how to reset the application to be what it used to be under Maverick?
    I've only used Mint 12 as a live session, I've never installed it to a hard drive. Mint 12 is based on Gnome 3 shell which is my default. Your problem with the inability to set default print modes seems like a shortcoming of Gnome shell's interface. Unity and Xfce-desktop offer more printer options than Gnome 3 shell and I assume Mint 12. Below is my printer window:
    printers.png
    Options is print jobs, not printer settings. I can usually select print quality from within applications but it's a bother to change it each time.
    Last edited by kurt18947; December 15th, 2011 at 10:02 AM.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast