View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Xsane works if I first use the preview window, then the scan button. Otherwise it returns an error. Failed to open device:invalid argument.
    Last edited by Newbus; February 24th, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen66 View Post
    I have tried many of the "HOWTO Install Brother 115c printer", but only one has worked for me. And I haven't fount it in this forum.
    So here it comes....

Code:
    sudo aptitude install brother-lpr-drivers-extra brother-cups-wrapper-extra
    After running the code, just add new printer and you will now see MFC-210c ( driver for DCP-115C)

Very simple and is't work!! ( for mine DCP-115C )

I fount on linuxin.dk http://www.linuxin.dk/node/15041#comment-39315

Sorry my English is not so good.
    Wonderful--much better than the Brother website instructions.

Also, Synaptic works. Type Brother and your printer model in the search box, and it'll even select the driver pkgs with that model mentioned.
    .-.
    oo|
    /`'\
    (\_;/) Keith

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Thanks the simple apt-get install instructions then adding a new printer and selecting that driver worked fine on my DCP-115C

Code:
    System > Administration > Printing > Add

Followed instructions and selected driver MFC-210c ( driver for DCP-115C)

Lucid 10.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidwhthomas View Post
    Thanks the simple apt-get install instructions then adding a new printer and selecting that driver worked fine on my DCP-115C

Code:
    System > Administration > Printing > Add

Followed instructions and selected driver MFC-210c ( driver for DCP-115C)

Lucid 10.4
    Is it safe to install using this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by paaating View Post
    Is it safe to install using this?
    It should be, packages installed using aptitude come from the repositories, all signed with a key. It's a pretty secure system, if unauthorized changes are done to the files the system breaks and the package won't install.

However note in this case that brother-lpr-drivers-extra contains drivers for the following models:

FAX-1815C FAX-1820C FAX-1835C FAX-1840C FAX-1920CN FAX-1940CN FAX-2440C MFC-210C MFC-3220C MFC-3240C MFC-3320CN MFC-3340CN MFC-3420C MFC-3820CN MFC-410CN MFC-420CN MFC-5440CN MFC-5840CN MFC-620CN DCP-110C DCP-310CN DCP-560CN DCP-770CW DCP-350C DCP-353C MFC-465CN MFC-680CN MFC-685CW MFC-885CW MFC-230C MFC-235C MFC-260C DCP-135C DCP-150C DCP-153C
    (from the package details page, I believe the cups-wrapper package contains drivers for the same models)

Those are older printers - these packages were made when Hardy was introduced in April 2008, so if you have a newer printer they might work, or they might not.

But Brother makes it fairly easy with Linux support for most/all (?) of their newer models here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html

The printer drivers are here, the scanner drivers are there, the PC-FAX drivers are there, heck, there's even a little app that sends scans to the program of your choice.

Support printer manufacturers who support Linux! I have an expensive Canon imageCLASS MF5770 which I bought before I was into Linux and it's an expensive paperweight now, so I was hesitant about buying Canon again. When I saw the extensive support Brother had for Linux, I went ahead and got an MFC-J615W.

Beans
    Distro

Not sure if the OP is still around, but if he/she is, THANKS!

Here are a few comments installing this stuff on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 with a new Brother MFC-J615W (this has wireless networking so it doesn't have to be connected by USB) - note I didn't read the entire 37-page thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BoardDWorld View Post
    Step 6:
    Create the lpd directory. This is the first I have encountered this but in Hardy the directory had to be created. Skip this and move on to Step 7 if you're using Gutsy or below. In terminal Type or Copy & Paste the following command:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
    This is required and NOT covered in the Brother instructions.

If you don't do this, you will get an error message stating that /var/spool/lpd/[driver name] can't be created. However if you try creating /var/spool/lpd/[driver name] by using mkdir, you can't, not even using sudo. You can create /var/spool/lpd though, and then the driver install will create /var/spool/lpd/[driver name] for you with no errors.

I learned this the hard way.

Everything else is more or less hunky-dory. The Brother instructions, while simple, work pretty well.

Step 10: (This is for Gutsy 64bit users only, 32bit users continue onto Step 11 )
    If you're using the MFC-210C driver Type or Copy & Paste the following command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C /usr/lib64/cups/filter
    If you're using another driver please adjust MFC210C to suit your model. Example for the MFC-3820CN driver:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC3820CN /usr/lib64/cups/filter
    If you're not sure you can check by typing the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/cups/filter
    dir
    This doesn't seem to be required anymore for 10.10. The files in /usr/lib/cups/filter seem to be synced with /usr/lib64/cups/filter. Still, it doesn't hurt to check.

After completing the driver installation open Firefox and enter the following into the address bar:
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    Click on “Manage Printers” and confirm that the driver name is listed there.

If the driver name is NOT listed there, click on "Add Printer" and install the driver following the on-screen instructions.

The default port is USB. If you want to use a different port, click on “Modify Printer” and select the required printer port.
    Note, the "Modify Printer" command seems to take quite a while on my system, about 10-20 seconds. I initially thought it hung. Just be patient.

Step 5:
    Give yourself permission to use it! At time of release it's a Gutsy Quirk/Bug... First we need to find out the Vendor ID & Product ID for our scanner or printer/scanner combo. For anyone using the DCP-115C printer/scanner ignore this step as your ID's are the same as mine; Vendor ID: 04f9 Product ID: 018c.

Any other model type the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Your output will be something like this:
    Code:
    matthew@matthew-laptop:~/Desktop$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 004: ID 05ca:1810 Ricoh Co., Ltd 
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard 
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 062a:0000 Creative Labs Optical Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f9:018c Brother Industries, Ltd 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    matthew@matthew-laptop:~/Desktop$
    Locate Brother Industries, Ltd and take note of your Vendor IDroduct ID as shown in bold in the above output and adjust Step 6 to match.

Step 6:
    In Terminal type the following:

Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    Kubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo kate /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    At the bottom of the page but before LABEL="libsane_rules_end" add the following changing YOUR-VENOR-ID & YOUR- PRODUCT-ID to yours, both are 4 characters long:
    Code:
    # Brother DCP-115C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="YOUR-VENOR-ID", SYSFS{idProduct}=="YOUR-PRODUCT-ID", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    The last section of 45-libsane.rules should look like this after adding your scanner/printer to the last line:
    Code:
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", SYSFS{idProduct}=="5105", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    # Dell A960
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", SYSFS{idProduct}=="5107", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    # Dell 922
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", SYSFS{idProduct}=="5109", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    # Dell 1600n
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", SYSFS{idProduct}=="5250", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    # Brother DCP-115C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="018c", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

LABEL="libsane_rules_end"
    Here's where I'm stuck. I don't have the Vendor and Product ID. I could get it by connecting the printer by USB and reading it using these instructions.

BUT - the file /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules does not exist on my system. I verified I have sane, libsane, sane-utils and xsane installed, so it should be there, but maybe 10.10 has another way of doing this? Hmm.

I'll have to do some digging to see what to do - create the file from an old copy on the net or find a complete other way to do it.

There was an issue with the fax driver, it was installed but disabled with the warning "Filter "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brfaxfilter" for printer "BRFAX" has insecure permissions (0100777)" - not good.

A clue is given with the scanner section above, the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/brfaxfilter must have improper permissions (777). I fixed this:

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filter/brfaxfilter
    (make sure the filter has execute permissions!)

Then I restarted CUPS (the procedure has changed since this how-to was originally written):

Code:
    sudo initctl restart cups
    Bam, the problem went away for the fax driver.

I'm left wondering how to change permissions for the scanner. As the OP listed it as a Gutsy bug, I'm hoping it's been resolved in Maverick. The absence of a /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules file seems to indicate the whole thing is handled differently now.

I haven't been able to test everything out yet as the printer is actually a gift for my fiance so I can't open it yet but I'll update when/if everything works.
    Last edited by Fraoch; April 6th, 2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixed permissions for /usr/lib/cups/filter/brfaxfilter

Beans
    Hidden!

DCP-540CN on network: Printer works fine but Scanner stopped working after update to 10.10. Does using the USB info in libsane.rules work for network scanning as well?
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    DCP-540CN on network: Printer works fine but Scanner stopped working after update to 10.10. Does using the USB info in libsane.rules work for network scanning as well?
    There's some other file which controls scanning in 10.10 - I don't have the libsane.rules file but network scanning for my MFC-J615W works just fine.

This is using the Brother scanner driver though. Looks like your model uses brscan2: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n.html#brscan2

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    I haven't been able to test everything out yet as the printer is actually a gift for my fiance so I can't open it yet but I'll update when/if everything works.
    All set up and everything works just fine, first try! Printing, scanning over network using the printer key, scanning over network to a program using xsane, scanning using the flatbed, scanning using the ADF. It all just works without any fuss.

Some minor tips and reconfiguration for newbies:

- if the printer IP address changes or you specified the wrong one following the Brother instructions, reconfigure it using the CUPS page, Administration tab - Manage Printers - [select printer] - [in pulldown menu on right] Modify Printer.

This is not exactly intuitive, but select something other than "Current Connection" in order to change the Current Connection entry. The Brother instructions for my model state to use "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" for the printer function, and "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" for the Fax. Your model may be different. On the next page, specify the "Device URI" as the Brother instructions call it in the "Connection:" line. Everything else is straightforward.

I had to change both the printer and fax drivers this way.

Follow Brother's instructions for installing the network scanner driver. Where you enter:

Code:
    name=(name  your  device)  model=(model  name)
    use underscores instead of spaces for the names if you need to.

If you make a mistake or your scanner's IP address changes, edit the configuration file:

Code:
    gedit /usr/local/Brother/sane/brsanenetdevice3.cfg
    (or brsanenetdevice or brsanenetdevice2)

This assumes that the file is able to be modified by you, as it was on my system. If it's protected, the text editor will indicate "READ ONLY" in its title bar and any changes you make won't be able to be saved. In this case, modify it as root using:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/local/Brother/sane/brsanenetdevice3.cfg
    (or brsanenetdevice or brsanenetdevice2)

When it's configured properly, the scanner could be accessed from [for example] GIMP just fine, using xsane. Give it some time after clicking xsane though, it takes a while to come up.

In order to send scans from the printer to Ubuntu using the printer control panel, you have to install brscan-key as indicated in the Brother instructions. You enter:

Code:
    brscan-skey
    to start the little app which receives data from the scanner. Incidentally, it will place scanned images in /home/[you]/brscan as PPM (raw bitmap) images. This was also not intuitive, I had no idea where it sent the files at first.

If you will be doing this, it will help to put this little app in your startup programs using System - Control Center - Sessions - Startup Programs tab. Press the Add button and add the program startup command listed above to the "Command:" field. Put whatever you want in the other fields. This way the program will be started again if you restart Ubuntu.

And that's it, everything is working perfectly!

We will hardly be using this as a fax, if ever, but I'm testing it a bit and it's not working as well as everything else. I'll cover it in another post.

Still very happy though!
    Last edited by Fraoch; October 18th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Regarding the fax driver, I found a mistake in my directions above. Fixing this helps, but I still can't fax from the Ubuntu machine.

It turned out I did not give execute permissions to /usr/lib/cups/filter/brfaxfilter. When I tried to print to it, I got an error message stating that the filter could not be executed.

I'll edit my other post to correct this, but even after correcting the permissions, the problem I'm having is that although I can print to the fax, it doesn't do anything - it just sits there forever, receiving data. There's nowhere where I can specify what number to send the fax to.

The "printer" configuration for the fax is suspiciously sparse, only allowing a change to media size and quality. Makes me think that the fax driver didn't install correctly...?

Ubuntu's native fax program, Efax (installed from Ubuntu Software Centre) does contain a field for the fax recipient's number, but there doesn't seem to be a way to specify this machine as a fax machine. In Efax-gtk - File - Settings - Modem - Serial Device, the default is ttyS0, sort of like COM1 in Windows. Definitely not right for a device on the network. However there doesn't seem to be a way to specify a network device. If you leave it blank, it uses /dev/modem. In my file system, /dev/modem is a symlink pointing to /dev/brusbmfc. Based on the name of that file, I'm guessing this should work if the fax was connected by USB, but I have no idea how to get it to connect across the network.

I'll keep playing with it and update if I solve it.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast