View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Many thanks for this Howto it certainly solved my problem.

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hi,hope this old thread..is still active...
    I actually had the brother printer working on 9.10 but after updating, it stoped working ! Sill using 9.10server, as 10.14 just crashed everything.
    Followed the instruction and got errors on lpd install.:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc9660lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package mfc9660lpr.
    (Reading database ... 176430 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mfc9660lpr (from mfc9660lpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb) ...
    Setting up mfc9660lpr (1.1.2-1) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/mfc9660lpr.postinst: 4: /etc/init.d/lpd: not found
    dpkg: error processing mfc9660lpr (--install):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mfc9660lpr

The printers shows in the Printer manager & in http://localhost:631/printers/
    But does not print a test page .. (yes the printer is on)

Ubuntu Printer Manage Print Jobs : the job just sitts in the cue ,
    This is strange since , It was working before update.

ALSO, Synaptic Package Manager now CRASHES and is BROKEN with error:
    E: The package mfc9660lpr needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
    E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
    Last edited by remoteONE; December 7th, 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: corrections

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

OK, since I know the printer is on 192.168.1.10, in "Change Device URI> Network Printer > Find Printer>
    If I search for the printer and, instead of the port found automatically ,
    I select "lpd://192.168.1.10/lp" or "lpd://192.168.1.10/PASSTHRU" or "dnssd://1P_PrintServC7767C._printer._tcp.local/" the printer seems to work.
    !
    Last edited by remoteONE; December 7th, 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Beans

Now to the scanner,
    Step 4:
    Confirm you need to continue on with the following steps, I believe it is only Gutsy that has problems. Simply open Xsane, choose you scanner and click OK. If you get an I/O-Error you will need to continue onto Step 5, if it's all working you're done!

Step 5:
    Give yourself permission to use it! At time of release it's a Gutsy Quirk/Bug... First we need to find out the Vendor ID & Product ID for our scanner or printer/scanner combo. For anyone using the DCP-115C printer/scanner ignore this step as your ID's are the same as mine; Vendor ID: 04f9 Product ID: 018c.

Any other model type the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    lsusb
    MY scanner/printer MFC-9600 is on a network Printer server at 192.168.1.10
    Can this be set up to com w scanner? clearly the above steps wont work .
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am completely baffled. My PC has 2 drives both running maverick. On the secondary
    drive I have got the scanner working by creting a file in 45-libane.rules that only contains

# Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

The exact same does not work on the primary drive. Any suggetions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks, this was very usefull

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I have tried many of the "HOWTO Install Brother 115c printer", but only one has worked for me. And I haven't fount it in this forum.
    So here it comes....

Code:
    sudo aptitude install brother-lpr-drivers-extra brother-cups-wrapper-extra
    After running the code, just add new printer and you will now see MFC-210c ( driver for DCP-115C)

Very simple and is't work!! ( for mine DCP-115C )

I fount on linuxin.dk http://www.linuxin.dk/node/15041#comment-39315

Sorry my English is not so good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just wanted to say thanks! This helped me get my 440cn printer up and running great!
    PC: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core Processor | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Galaxy 2GB GeForce 670 GTX | 30GB OCZ ssd | 1TB + 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives | Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows Vista ultimate
    Phone: Samsung Nexus Galaxy (verizon)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen66 View Post
    I have tried many of the "HOWTO Install Brother 115c printer", but only one has worked for me. And I haven't fount it in this forum.
    So here it comes....

Code:
    sudo aptitude install brother-lpr-drivers-extra brother-cups-wrapper-extra
    After running the code, just add new printer and you will now see MFC-210c ( driver for DCP-115C)

Very simple and is't work!! ( for mine DCP-115C )

I fount on linuxin.dk http://www.linuxin.dk/node/15041#comment-39315

Sorry my English is not so good.
    This worked instantly for DCP350c after a LOT of unsuccesful methods. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewthegreat View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks! This helped me get my 440cn printer up and running great!
    I've got the printer going on my MFC-440CN, but the scanner is defying me:

There was no file "/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules" already in existence, so I created one and edited it to read as follows
    # Brother mfc-440cn
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01af", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

LABEL="libsane_rules_end"
    and restarted, but while SimpleScan doesn't say it can't *find* a scanner, when I scan, it says "failed to connect to scanner." XSane tells me "Failed to open device 'brother2:bus4;dev1." Any ideas what's up?

Thanks!
    Here's a koan for you: "I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now."

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast