View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Brother DCP-115C printer part in Karmic:

1) Turn off your printer

2) Open Synaptic

3) Search for the package brother-lpr-drivers-extra and install it and all its dependencies (the dependencies should be installed automatically)

4) Turn on the printer

5) The print wizard comes up

6) It doesn't find your printer automatically

7) Look for the manual printer list in the wizard and open the brother printer section

8) Choose the MFC-210C printer (yes, even for the DCP-115C)

9) Done.

Brother DCP-115C scanner part in Karmic:
    1) For the scanner functionality download the brscan2 deb package from the brother homepage. Take care that it is the right packages: 32 bit or 64 - that depends on your Ubuntu version. Brscan2 is the right package for the DCP-115C, but be careful: There is another brscan package offered for other printers.

2) Install it.

3) Now you need permissions. For Karmic create the file 55-libsane.rules in the folder /etc/udev/rules.d/
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/55-libsane.rules
    An insert this stuff into the file:
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
    Don't forget to save your changes.

4) Then restart the computer (or at least restart udev
    restart udev

Report back if that worked. Otherwise you will have to add some additional rules from this thread (I tried some before, but this rule finalley got my scanner to work)
    Last edited by amano; November 2nd, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Brother DCP165C and Karmic

Thanks again. I have just installed my DCP165C into Karmic and it worked first time. Please note: you need to download the drivers from here, not from the link in this HowTo.
    Last edited by bayvista; November 9th, 2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Add title for DCP165C
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hey All

I have JUST started getting into this stuff and am feeling VERY stupid about now. I have tried to follw this thread on installing a MFC-440cn printer and was going pretty good (I thought) until I got to where i was to choose the print driver. I could not find MFC-440cn listed.... WHAT am I missing? PLEASE help .. want to get totally away from the windows thing

thanks

Beans

http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agree...ng=English_lpr

http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agree...ng=English_gpl

Aren't those drivers working? Just from the link one post above yours?
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post

1) Turn off your printer

2) Open Synaptic

3) Search for the package brother-lpr-drivers-extra and install it and all its dependencies (the dependencies should be installed automatically)

4) Turn on the printer

7) Look for the manual printer list in the wizard and open the brother printer section

9) Done.

1) For the scanner functionality download the brscan2 deb package from the brother homepage. Take care that it is the right packages: 32 bit or 64 - that depends on your Ubuntu version. Brscan2 is the right package for the DCP-115C, but be careful: There is another brscan package offered for other printers.

2) Install it.

3) Now you need permissions. For Karmic create the file 55-libsane.rules in the folder /etc/udev/rules.d/

Report back if that worked. Otherwise you will have to add some additional rules from this thread (I tried some before, but this rule finalley got my scanner to work)
    I have an Brother MFC-240C. I followed your instructions. XSane reports no scanner.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is a very good 'how-to'. However, the original instructions have not been updated. Please review all posts BEFORE installing as it will save you a lot of time. For example, there is another driver available for the scanner called brscan3 which you may need.
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

thank you, this worked great for my Brother MFC-3360C printer! I was worried at the end of step 11 but the additional localhost step fixed me right up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Anyone have instructions for installing the MFC40CW scanner in a networked environment?

I connect to the printer through wifi, so lsusb or any usb related HowTo's don't work here.

Thanks
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post

1) Turn off your printer

2) Open Synaptic

4) Turn on the printer

9) Done.

2) Install it.

What if printer is not listed in the manual printer list? Is there any way to find out if it is BEFORE doing all this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am hoping my MFC-7440N IS listed and I can install it to Karmic. Maybe someone can look on their list and see if it is there b4 I install "package brother-lpr-drivers-extra and install it and all its dependencies". Thanks in advance.

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast