View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by C-A View Post
    Thanks for the reply. My printer is a network printer and it is connected directly to my router.
    I believe you can set the ip address just the way you do in windows. Go into the router page and set it as static. Depending on what router you have, the router's homepage address is different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Sorry for the delay response.

You have to consult your printer documentation or poke around with the menu buttons on the printer, and set the IP address to a static IP address on the printer, And make sure it's within the IP address range of the DHCP range of the router. In other words if the router is dishing out IP's in the lets say 192.168.0.1 thru 192.168.0.255 or so then make sure that the static IP of the printer is set to something like 192.168.0.105 or something

Or if your router is dishing out the range in the 10.1.10.200 to 10.1.10.255 then put the printer at 10.1.10.230 or something.

Anyhow this is something you can to on the printer itself, I would not change the router to static cause then you have to set all the machines IP addresses and they won't receive one automatically from the router, so it's simple for a couple machines, but if you have a larger network that gets real old real quick.

Anyhow if you disclose your model I may be able to clarify some more.

I hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

BoardDWorld,
    Thanks for your great article "HOWTO: Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!", I stumbled across it in the Forum while waiting for the Brother's to open. Following each step I successfully installed a Brother DCP-150C on both Feisty Fawn 7.04 and Gusty Gibbon 7.10. All the functions of the unit are working perfectly, not bad for something that only cost $AUS 74:00, a worth while machine for an old guy.
    Thanks, Old Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've got problem with scanner in brother mfc 235C. i installed brscan2 and when i used xsane on destop i saw a announcement: ' couldn't open a device :'brother2:bus5;dev1'. Error during operation Input/Output ' i've got Ubuntu 7.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by yasio View Post
    I've got problem with scanner in brother mfc 235C. i installed brscan2 and when i used xsane on destop i saw a announcement: ' couldn't open a device :'brother2:bus5;dev1'. Error during operation Input/Output ' i've got Ubuntu 7.10.
    did you run xsane as root, or regular user ??

Try to run xsane as root (sudo xsane) from the terminal and see if that changes anything.

If it does then you have to follow these instructions listed here to get the scanner to work with regular users.

I hope this helps

I've created this page for help with Brother printers.
    www.iclbiz.com/brothermfc

Also I've posted in the How To: section under How To: Brother MFC
    I'ts very similar to the other how to's that have been posted;

See How to here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=Brother+MFC
    Last edited by AgentZ86; February 18th, 2008 at 04:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

Yasio & Agent286, Following the instructions in this post when installing the drivers for a DPC150C I did have problems on my first attempt on an old P3 computer the system was not current - no updates installed and I got the same error as Yasio got. Second attempt the system was as current Update Manger reported "Your system is up-to-date".
    With the printer & USB cable disconnected I installed the Printer drivesr,
    checked Firefox - Printer recognised
    Disconnected Printer & USB cable again then I installed brscan2-0.2.4-0.i386.deb, powered down the computer re-connected the Printer & USB cable.
    Restarted the computer, started XZane. I was able to use the scanner no problems or errors.
    I suggest you make sure your system is current -using Update Manager.before reinstalling the drivers. The only problem I have is if I press the Scan button and try to scan to a file option, the Brother's Control Panel displays a message "Connecting to PC" but nothing happens, it appears to clear the message after a few minutes. I hope this helps you in getting you Scanner to work, when I had the same error as Yasio received I could us the scanner through OpenOffice.org Writer. Old Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Fantastic! You are a public benefactor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Funnell View Post
    Yasio & Agent286, Following the instructions in this post when installing the drivers for a DPC150C I did have problems on my first attempt on an old P3 computer the system was not current - no updates installed and I got the same error as Yasio got. Second attempt the system was as current Update Manger reported "Your system is up-to-date"... Old Kevin
    Thanks for the help Kevin, I've added this to the tutorial.
    System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

I recently purchased the DCP-135C at the IT Show 2008 (Suntec City). The installation of the printer was a breeze. Although Feisty Fawn did not have the appropriate drivers for the printer, it did manage to detect the USB connection. Here's what I did to get the printer running:

1. At the terminal console, install tcsh.
    2. Connect and turn on the printer.
    3. From Brother Solutions (http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html), download the LPR printer driver specific to DCP-135C in the form of a debian package. Double-click to install.
    4. From the same website, download the CUPS printer driver specific to DCP-135C. (Again, a debian package.) Double-click to install.

And voilà, the new printer is installed. There is a slight misalignment to the right of the test print page. But, it is very slight. I can live with that.

Beans

The scanner for DCP-135C was set-up in an easy manner as described by BoardDWorld:

1. From Brother Solutions (http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html), download the SANE scanner driver specific to DCP-135C in the form of a debian package. Double-click to install.
    2. At the terminal, issue lsusb. Note the Vendor IDroduct ID listed for Brother Industries, Ltd. Mine was 04f9:01ce.
    3. At the terminal, type "sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules"
    4. At the end of the list of recognised products, add
    Code:
    # Brother DCP-135C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01ce", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    Note that the Vendor ID & Product ID have to be changed accordingly.
    5. Save the file. Reboot, and start scanning with XSane Image Scanner.

Thank you, BoardDWorld!
    Last edited by growingneeds; March 11th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo error.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast