View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    251 84.51%
  • No

    46 15.49%
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 501

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    755
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Hi AgentZ86,

    I expect that you can just throw away those files and folders. It depends a bit though on which package you downloaded and how you installed it.

    If you used dpkg, and did not _try_ to install the drivers on your desktop, then dpkg copied them to the appropriate system directories.

    On the other hand, if you used sources (as far as they are available) and asked to install them on your desktop, then they are where you said to put them.

    If all of this does not make much sense to you, than you probably took the first path, and that means that you can throw away those files on your desktop.

    You can find loads of information on directory structures in GNU/Linux on the net, you could start at http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/ or, more in depth, at http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem...tml/index.html

    Good luck!
    Awsome thanks,

    I forgot I posted about this I've actually figured that part but those links are going be good for me.

    Thanks

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    755
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Nice how too,

    I see many posts with errors and things for these brother printers, especially with Gutsy 7.10
    I believe this is related to the lpr and how the cups wrapper looks for it when you install the cups wrapper driver.

    I think this can be solved by creating the symbolic link just after installing the lpr driver. This is noted on the brother site as well. And I get no errors

    Basically like so:
    Install your printers LPR driver found on the brother solutions site, either click and install with gdebi etc.OR download to desktop then click and install with gdebi you may get some errors about var/spool etc. (just ignore it) no problem here.[/LIST]
    • Then create symbolic link with this command in the terminial:
      sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/init.d/lpd

    • Install cups wrapper driver with gdebi-

    Then remove the symbolic link which will be located in the /etc/init.d/ folder typically the one with the arrow next to it; and it may be the only one if you've not had any symbolic links created there.

    And printing should be working perfectly and installing the cups wrapper driver should give no errors at all.

    Then you can work on setting up your scanner portion using the how to listed here.

    Now if I could just get my fax part working. I'm working on that now so hopefully I post back on that.

    I hope this helps
    Last edited by AgentZ86; January 28th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    1

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Ok I followed all the instructions and I can't get the scanner to work when I'm logged in under my user name.. if I log in as root it works.

    HELP

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Beans
    37
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Cheers Matey!
    Current Status :
    ADVENT 7017 LAPTOP RUNNING : Windows XP SP2 - Mac OS X Leopard
    MV IXIUS LAPTOP RUNNING : Ubuntu 7.10 GUSTY GIBBON

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brugge, België
    Beans
    2,933

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    I was in shock (not really, but still) when I heared my mother bought a new printer/scanner/fax machine.

    We only use ubuntu and I thought I was screwed.

    This one saved me.

    Thanks.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    755
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Quote Originally Posted by mafiax View Post
    Ok I followed all the instructions and I can't get the scanner to work when I'm logged in under my user name.. if I log in as root it works.

    HELP
    To make it all work as normal user
    basically the same as the how to listed in the begining of this post, but anyhow here it is.
    • Open the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules" with an editor.
      I used gedit and you need to be root, so I did sudo gedit, then password
      I like the clickety method of browsing so while in gedit select open and then browse to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules and either click or double click depending on how you have set your preferences and it will open the 45-libsane.rules in the gedit editor program. now you can add a line to the bottom of the file

    • #brother
      SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="018c", MODE="666", GROUP="scanner"
      NOTE: the 04f9 and the 018c entry? this is the product ID and vendor ID, and this one is specific for my printer/scanner so to find your vendor and product ID's open a terminal and type this command (lsusb)
      This will show your printer vendor and product ID
      Just replace the 04f9:018c with your vendor and product ID that you just found in the terminal.

    • Anyhow
      You will see an entry all the way at the end of the /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules file which says:
      LABEL="libsane_rules_end" (do you see it?)

    • Your entry will go just above that.
      and will include your vendor and product ID and will looks something like this:

      #Brother MFC-240C (note: this entry can be whatever your want to describe your printer/scanner)
      SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01ab", MODE="666", GROUP="scanner"

      LABEL="libsane_rules_end"

    • Once you have your entry correct, then select save, then exit
      exit your terminal by typing exit, then hit enter,


    Then restart the OS

    Scanning should now work well as a regular user.
    I've tested with Xsane, and scan2pdf and more as regular user

    I hope this helps
    Last edited by AgentZ86; February 2nd, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    755
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    "When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong."
    LOL also possible for both sides to be equally right, and also both can be equally wrong, or even so both can be disproportionally right, and also disproportionally wrong.

    LOL
    Last edited by AgentZ86; February 2nd, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Beans
    106
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    I am using my printer as a network printer. My printer works fine until the ip address changes and then I have to manually change it in cups. So, I guess I need to set the printer to have a static ip address.

    I am not sure how to access those settings from my linux box. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    755
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Quote Originally Posted by C-A View Post
    I am using my printer as a network printer. My printer works fine until the ip address changes and then I have to manually change it in cups. So, I guess I need to set the printer to have a static ip address.

    I am not sure how to access those settings from my linux box. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll try to help, but can you describe how your using it as a network printer ?

    Do you have it plugged to a server and using the server as a print server / print share, or are you simply trying to access the printer when it's plugged into some local machine on the network.

    In the later case then, most likely your using it as a local printer and want to share it with the other users on the network.

    I'll fool with this some here at home, but I don't think you have to install any network options or do any network stuff for just doing that, it should be as simple as making sure your workgroup name is the same, and then the printer should appear on the network for use and adding it to your printer list.

    I'll toy with it some more on mon. sometime after the superbowl etc. and see how the brother printers react.

    My hp and all other printers on the network all are working anc can be shared over the network no problems there, but the network workgroup all has to be the same as far as that goes.

    Anyhow I'll post back on this some more on mon.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Beans
    106
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    I'll try to help, but can you describe how your using it as a network printer ?

    Do you have it plugged to a server and using the server as a print server / print share, or are you simply trying to access the printer when it's plugged into some local machine on the network.

    In the later case then, most likely your using it as a local printer and want to share it with the other users on the network.

    I'll fool with this some here at home, but I don't think you have to install any network options or do any network stuff for just doing that, it should be as simple as making sure your workgroup name is the same, and then the printer should appear on the network for use and adding it to your printer list.

    I'll toy with it some more on mon. sometime after the superbowl etc. and see how the brother printers react.

    My hp and all other printers on the network all are working anc can be shared over the network no problems there, but the network workgroup all has to be the same as far as that goes.

    Anyhow I'll post back on this some more on mon.
    Thanks for the reply. My printer is a network printer and it is connected directly to my router.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •