Thread: Adding Screensavers

Beans

Adding Screensavers

I am trying to get GLSlideshow to work as a screensaver on my Mythubuntu installation. When I add the gl screensavers and the xscreensaver-data packages, they don't show in the gnome-screensaver menu.

Is there something else to do to get the listings to work?

So far, the installation has gone quite well for me. I will have to play with the imon remote, but that is normal.

By the way, anyone having a weird blocks-like picture sometimes when starting dvd playing or watching tv? Seems like it is the Nvidia driver since it goes away if I kill X.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Adding Screensavers

If you come up with a solution, I'd like to know as well, since I'm trying to do precisely the same thing. A slideshow screensaver would be perfect. I went and created a collection of photos for it only to discover that no screensavers were listed. Oddly, I could select it if I started the apps from an ssh console. (/me shrugs)

Beans

I would also like to have the screensaver display my pictures in mythgallery. At the moment I just get a blank screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you guys would like a fun screensaver set, i'd recommend you electricsheep. It's in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yup, I'm trying to do the same thing. When I look at gnome-screensaver-properties I get only two options: blank and random. All other screensavers are missing. I've used "ssh -X machinename" from my laptop, and I can see and select different screensavers, but they do not stick.

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of things and spent hours on this. I guess my ubuntu chops are not up to speed. If anyone gets this working, I'd LOVE to know how.
    Last edited by racmar; January 18th, 2008 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

literally one minute later, I found this...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=screensavers

It works great!