Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: The bet is on! Ubuntu vs. Microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The bet is on! Ubuntu vs. Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by aquavitae View Post
    Not entirely true - there's reverse engineering.
    That's why I said "pretty much".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Having been a long time early Dos and Windows user and now dual booting only Linux distributions, currently Dapper and Feisty on the same box I think this test is a good milestone, useless since Linux in general is coming into it's own without MS assistance or cooperation, but a milestone just the same. Evidence of MS trying to become the middleman in some ways has hit the news recently with crippled forms of limited Linux distros working through or having to be installed through MS becoming available.
    I had some obscure and hard to find but competent Windows based software which I was able to replace and exceed in function and detail with open source programs from the normal repositories. Likewise i was able to exceed my needs in the manner of the usual science, math and office types of software and updates and upgrades have been far more successful and timely.
    I now have two computers running Ubuntu and am looking forward to trying Gutsy on one of them. There is no more MS in the systems at all, not even Wine or a VB for some ethereal form of MS.
    I would find it suspect for someone to say they can't live without Windows anymore unless they were part of a larger network which would not allow Linux or other OS access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Oceola View Post
    I would find it suspect for someone to say they can't live without Windows anymore unless they were part of a larger network which would not allow Linux or other OS access.
    I can't live without Windows because Ubuntu has terrible support for graphics cards and I can't live without dual monitors at work (paperless law office).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

50Words: Terrible...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the whole Studio 8 installed via Wine, and it works fine. But I didn't like the colors so I pasted something on some folder (very specific), I think that link is on my signature.

Pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ireawesome.jpg (Adobe can suck my **** (auto censored), macromedia had the best software.)

About virtualbox: It works surprisingly good. For instance, windows took about 5 seconds to boot inside virtualbox, and was working instantly.
    Last edited by Can+~; November 2nd, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 50words View Post
    I can't live without Windows because Ubuntu has terrible support for graphics cards and I can't live without dual monitors at work (paperless law office).

???????????

Ubuntu has excellent support for graphics cards. Here is a screen shot of a dual monitor setup, two 19" 1440x900 wide screen monitors. A few clicks and it was all set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by American_Outcast; November 2nd, 2007 at 04:22 PM.

Beans

I stickied this topic because I'm really interested in how this continues. About virtualbox: I have it running on a 2ghz pc with 512mb ram, 192mb assigned to my virtual windows xp in Seamless mode. It's quite good, but not perfect yet. And it's a bit cheap because some other VM programs had it first, but you won't hear me complaining if you're interested, you can also do it another way.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=433359
    but the seamless mode that comes with virtualbox is much less of a hassle. Actually, for me, it was no hassle at all. Just installing windows on a VM, installing the guest additions(2 mouse clicks) and pressing host key+l. done.

Beans

I don't think there is a Ubuntu vs. Microsoft the real question should be is when will Ubuntu and Microsoft merge. you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. its just a matter of time; the bottom line is money.What will you Microsoft haters do when it happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. .
    We do? Care to elaborate?
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Flash8 runs perfect in VirtualBox with XP (512MB RAM for the VM). Photoshop CS and Civilization3 also

Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast