Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

dfreer, i'm trying to get zsnes32 for debian etch amd64 but the repository doesn't work, i write the 3 commands in the terminal and with apt-get update i get an error that says something like this "Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)" (the rest is in spanish ), what does this mean?

Beans

Sorry Mcfly2309 The reason for your error is that there is no amd64 package for zsnes32 on debian etch. I made Debian etch i386 packages, and Debian Lenny AMD64 packages, but I haven't gotten around to making AMD64 packages for debian etch yet.

The main reason for my holdup is that the new processor I bought for my VMWare server (where I can test new packages), does not support the VT technology like advertised, and so I cannot create 64-bit clients.

I just found the Debian Live CD project, so I can probably build you a package here hopefully within a week. Just keep an eye on this thread, and I'll let you know ASAP when the package is available. EDIT: No AMD64 live cd's

EDIT: The amd64 repository is up for etch, now. The only packages are zsnes32 and lib32ao2 (needed for zsnes32). So you should be able to follow the instructions as before and install zsnes, please let me know if it works!!
    Last edited by dfreer; November 30th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.

Beans

thanks for posting this thread! I think I've installed it right but where do I get the roms from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    The main reason for my holdup is that the new processor I bought for my VMWare server (where I can test new packages), does not support the VT technology like advertised, and so I cannot create 64-bit clients.
    Have you tried Virtualbox or Qemu? VMWare afaik does not support virtualization on AMD cpus, only Intel ones. Would your new cpu by any chance be AMD? If so, there's a strong chance that your processor does support the necessary features, and VMWare is just too much of a sub-par product to support it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hexnet View Post
    Have you tried Virtualbox or Qemu? VMWare afaik does not support virtualization on AMD cpus, only Intel ones. Would your new cpu by any chance be AMD? If so, there's a strong chance that your processor does support the necessary features, and VMWare is just too much of a sub-par product to support it.
    I do have an Intel CPU, according to the newegg page, in specs it says it supports VT, whereas according to an actual Intel page the E4500 does not (I should've checked first, my mistake ).

I have not tried Virtualbox or Qemu yet, as I haven't heard of any advantage of virtualbox/qemu/zen over VMWare, other than "it's SO easy to setup". Since I don't think it's particularly hard to setup vmware server, there's no advantage there.

And I didn't realize that VMWare was a "sub-par" product -_- Honestly, I'd really like to know if there is any advantages, I have no particular loyalty to vmware itself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spyder0080 View Post
    thanks for posting this thread! I think I've installed it right but where do I get the roms from?
    Please RTF F.A.Q's -_-

Beans

lol sorry i missed that...i skipped straight to the installation part

Beans

Perfect! YEA, i'm playing all the snes clasics, thanks a lot man

Beans

Awesome thanks, thanks to this thread i have ZSNES running on my AMD64. Sound doesn't work yet, but i'll look around for some answers to that - thanks for all your help!!

Beans

This thread has a few tricks to try, plus you might want to try fiddling with this:
    Code:
    $zsnes32 --help
    -ad <>  Select Audio Driver :
                      auto = Automatically select output
                      null = Null output
                       nas = NAS output
                       oss = OSS audio driver output
                      alsa = Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) output
                       esd = ESounD output
                      arts = aRts output
                       sdl = Simple DirectMedia Layer output
    Don't know what your audio situation is currently like, but if your sound works at all, hopefully one of those options should help you.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast