Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Dan,

Thank you, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart for your hard work on this. Moving to amd64 has been a trial. I'm an avid NES/SNES collector and player, and I have a complete ROM collection that I just love taking with me. I was about to resort to running WinXP in VirtualBox just to play ZSNES.

I have a number of SNES pads modified with USB:

http://retrousb.com/

Would you care for a USB->SNES adaptor cable, on me? You deserve it. Contact me in a private message with your email, and I'll arrange it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

EDIT: Haven't found any real fix for the problem, but I've narrowed down the source ^_^x; Apparantly zsnes (on my compy here) won't play any sound when Firefox is playbacking any flash videos. Gonna try another flash player ^_^x; Leaving post here for other people to see, in case anyone has any input or wants to read on my progress if they get the same problem or something...

I'm so completely at a loss now. I followed your Hardy installation process, dfreer, and I must start out by saying it's amazing how much time you spend just helping people with their problems getting things to work here :)

The sound in zsnes used to work just fine, even without the special version Nach posted. And now, all of a sudden, it stopped working o_Ox

When I try running it with -ad oss, -ad alsa and -ad sdl, this is what I get:

Code:
    ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    ALSA snd_pcm_open error: Device or resource busy
    Audio Open Failed
    ZSNES could not find any joysticks.
    ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    (You can ignore the joysticks thing I suppose :P Just kept in there to keep the thing complete)

And when I use -ad alsa09 it says:

Code:
    Audio driver selection invalid.
    But now for the interesting part. -ad esd gives me great sounding sound, however it lags behind by like half a second or so (the sound never used to do this) and the terminal still looks funny:

Code:
    Audio Opened.
    Driver: ESounD output
    Channels: 2
    Rate: 48000

ZSNES could not find any joysticks.
    So I suppose something really is up with this pcm_dmix.c file? What do I do? Other programs can use my sound just fine... :\
    Last edited by KiddDaBeauty; August 1st, 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Beans

Hi, and thanks a lot for packaging zsnes! It mostly works like a charm. I have a question: am I the only one who notices that zsnes and compiz don't play well together? It's not a big problem, compiz is easy enough to turn off, I'm just curious.

Beans

My ZSNES and compiz are best friends on two of my computers. (Thanks Dfreer for the repository and packages, by the way.) What's your issue? I run an NVIDIA 7600GT, proprietary drivers on one computer; Intel X3100, open drivers on another.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mr. Freer, you are a god send. Thank you for sharing with us your most valuable time and energy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey, Freer. Thank you so much for supporting Zsnes on Hardy 64! Now if I can get zbattle.net working...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well I just got Intrepid Ibex and to my horror your (dfreer) repositories don't seem to be hosting the packages any more? The site works it's just doesn't have any packages it seems.

Well hopefully I can find a copy of the .deb I've depended on you for my zsnes .

edit: Okay you do seem to still be hosting the file here http://rowdy.dfreer.org:8080/pool/ha...ardy-amd64.deb it's just not reachable from the main site.
    Last edited by jerome1232; October 9th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

jerome1232, I can download the package just fine. My sources for dfreer:

Code:
    tyler@baal:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dfreer.list
    deb http://rowdy.dfreer.org:8080 hardy main

tyler@baal:~$ apt-cache -o Dir::Etc::sourceparts=/dev/null -o Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/dfreer.list dumpavail

Package: zsnes32
    And I'm able to download zsnes32. I'm still running hardy. Just use the "hardy" repo with intrepid, and it should work. If not, it's likely you'll have to wait a few months for Dan to repackage it, if he's going to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yeah your right, I must've made a typo the first time I added the repo.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Indeed, there's no Intrepid repository as of now. Also, because my ISP blocks port 80, if your /etc/apt/sources.list has the following:
    deb http://packages.dfreer.org hardy main
    When trying to apt-get, you will recieve an error. Whereas:
    deb http://rowdy.dfreer.org:8080 hardy main
    Should work just fine. The reason for this I believe is that apt-get is unable/unwilling to accept web redirection, which is what I use. http://packages.dfreer.org will work just fine in a web browser, although you should notice that you are immediately redirected to http://rowdy.dfreer.org:8080.

I'm kinda curious as to how everyone is now calling me by a first/last name basis lol

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast