Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmatrix View Post
    Point is Nvidia and Intel drivers already work. I'm not so sure about ATI which is already having suspend problems, no AIGLX, crap frame rates, and so on. You get the point.

Moreover, a video driver is more integrated in Ubuntu system(kernal module) than a .deb package. It's better if distro supports it.
    Well the Nvidia drivers work, but I think you might find a few Intel users who would disagree with you when it comes to their drivers, it depends on how you define "work".

Usually when a new version of a piece of software comes out after an Ubuntu release, the package will get included in the next release and if there is enough demand for it in the current release, they will make the package available as a backport. I'm not sure if they have ever done that with a driver though.

Even if they don't package it or backport it, and you really need this new driver (I'm sure most ATI users do), you can still install it using ATI's install script. You'll probably end up having to re-install the driver every time there is a kernel update, as happens with Nvidia users who decide to use the latest and greatest driver from the Nvidia website, but at least you will have the functionality you want/need.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Well the Nvidia drivers work, but I think you might find a few Intel users who would disagree with you when it comes to their drivers, it depends on how you define "work".

Usually when a new version of a piece of software comes out after an Ubuntu release, the package will get included in the next release and if there is enough demand for it in the current release, they will make the package available as a backport. I'm not sure if they have ever done that with a driver though.

Even if they don't package it or backport it, and you really need this new driver (I'm sure most ATI users do), you can still install it using ATI's install script. You'll probably end up having to re-install the driver every time there is a kernel update, as happens with Nvidia users who decide to use the latest and greatest driver from the Nvidia website, but at least you will have the functionality you want/need.
    Quite right. But you'll notice that Compiz Fusion, for example, has blacklisted certain ATI card, purely due to request by Ubuntu developers.( At least this is what they mention on their webpage).
    So ubuntu is a driving force in industry to how much hardware is supported, one way or other,

As for intel, they work perfectly till it comes to wine, which is fixed now in Gutsy(For me atkeast). By work, they work well with suspend, hibernate and most native games, like UT, serious Sam 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This should be fglrx-new... but still no support for the new API in the 2.6.23 kernel -- this makes developing KernelCheck slow down majorly because of the new API. There are some patches out there but I like to distribute "clean" programs.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmatrix View Post
    Point is Nvidia and Intel drivers already work. I'm not so sure about ATI which is already having suspend problems, no AIGLX, crap frame rates, and so on. You get the point.

Moreover, a video driver is more integrated in Ubuntu system(kernal module) than a .deb package. It's better if distro supports it.
    The Ubuntu devs write scripts that ship with the fglrx installer that are used to create the packages. The installer is going to produce the same debs whether it is run by someone from getdeb, the Ubuntu team, or some other member of the community. The only real difference is an official Ubuntu deb wouldn't require you to backlist the fglrx module provided by linux-restricted-modules.
    AMD Opteron 165 | 3GB | ATI Radeon X1800

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry Re: AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Hi,

It's seems in the end this quite a crap release. See this bugtracker at launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/156325

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans

Doesn't seem any worse than other fglrx drivers versions I've used. Far better than most, for me, actually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12