Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't enable w32codecs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Can't enable w32codecs

I can't seem to enable w32codecs under the proprietary codecs tab of MCC. I was able to enable libdvdcss2 and ffmpeg but when I select w32codecs and click apply it starts trying (it looks like it's trying to download 3 files) and then MCC just closes and I'm back to mythtv frontend. Am I doing something wrong?
    Jonathan Brown
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup...it's knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Can't enable w32codecs

I was having similar problems with installing the proprietary codecs. After quitting out of the mythtv frontend, I tried installing via the Synaptic Package Manager. It gave me a message asking me to place the Mythbuntu 7.10 LiveCD back into the cd drive. After doing this, the install completed successfully. Looks like somthing about the Mythbuntu install keeps pointing to library files stored on the disk instead of getting the file online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mskradri View Post
    I was having similar problems with installing the proprietary codecs. After quitting out of the mythtv frontend, I tried installing via the Synaptic Package Manager. It gave me a message asking me to place the Mythbuntu 7.10 LiveCD back into the cd drive. After doing this, the install completed successfully. Looks like somthing about the Mythbuntu install keeps pointing to library files stored on the disk instead of getting the file online.
    Thats a feature (although I don't like it) of Ubuntu.

My second question would be is this a 64-bit system? If it is, you need w64codecs
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro

No, it's a 32 bit system. In fact w64codecs is greyed out for me so I can't even select it. Not that I'd want to, since it's a 32 bit system.
    Jonathan Brown
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup...it's knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

Beans
    Distro

mskradri,

looks like that worked. I just reinserted my 7.10 disk and went back into MCC and selected w32codecs and it install straight away. Thanks for your help.
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

Can one of you guys file a bug regarding this, about how it needs the CD, but doesn't ask for it?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Uh...I'd love to submit a bug. I'd then feel like I'm contributing to the project instead of mooching off it. But I don't know where to go to submit it.
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...re/+bug/156471

If anyone can post a more complete backtrace, that would be most useful.

Beans
    Distro

Nevermind. I just registered on Launchpad.net/~mythbuntu but it looks like I need to be approved by someone before I can submit a bug.
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

Nevermind again. Looks like it's already there.
    Jonathan Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast