Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Convert Windows Users to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: How To: Convert Windows Users to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter
    Nice, poofyhairguy.

One point I usually add to my arguements is the level of flexibility FOSS has over it's closed counterparts. If you don't like the way it works, change it. If you don't have the knowledge to make the changes, there are alway's those who are willing to help.
    Thanks. You comment gives me a good idea. Instead of adding it to this, I might make a whole new document. "Why Open Source Software matters to a normal person."

The purpose of this document, and the one you gave me the idea for, and the one I'm working on ("Ubuntu is great for hardcore gamers"- I have a REALLY interesting arguement on that one I think) is to start something that no distro has (I think): a volunteer Public Relations team.

If this is approved here, I will make a website to host it. A new website devoted to improving the image of Ubuntu. I want to prove that Linux users CAN be smart and professional, and that ANYONE can help out the Ubuntu project (even non programmers like me). I want to help people understand why it is important to act correctly when dealing with sensitive issues (such as converting users) and I want to make a concrete example that Linux users are not zealots.

Thanks for your comments.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    You know, the funny thing is that I totally agree with your assessment about user types, but I'm actually in this group--"power user" who understands almost nothing about how computers really work. The only times I ever edited the registry were to clean out spyware, and that didn't really work. I don't think it's impossible for these medium-level Windows people (like me) to move to Linux, but I think you make a good point that they can't be converted or convinced over to Linux.
    Whats funny is that on skill level alone I was a middle ground Windows user as well. I can't program, I can't read the registry and I didn't know a lick of Unix before trying Linux. I just like to identify myself as a nerd (I take pride in it) so I try to pretend I am in the more elite group. Its silly I think.

2. Most of "us" are actually quite happy with Windows
    Happy enough with XP. The same problem MS has when they release Vista.

3. If Linux wants to increase desktop marketshare (a dubious assumption but still a goal held by many), it definitely does not need this group to do so.
    Very true. This arguement is a troll buster if I ever heard one.

Thanks for the positive comments...they mean a lot coming from you.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    <snipped>start something that no distro has (I think): a volunteer Public Relations team.<snipped>
    Awesome. Now there's an idea worth it's weight in gold...

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting thread, as i've just installed ubuntu (and then added kde - i get the best of both worlds!), and dual booted my machine. I probably fit into either the 2nd or 3rd category - i'm definetly not a newbie with windows.

Some of my thoughts/suggestions:

-expand the wiki - it's awesome, but it needs more added.
    The dual-boot with windows section particularly - it's still showing the warty "how to partition your harddrive", which is unnecessary, as hoary resizes well, if you know what you're doing. On that subject, there's a series of screenshots of the partitioning process in installing ubuntu via dual boot - that definetly needs to be linked to the wiki, as the installation is the hardest bit.

-Linux is not as difficult as people might think - newbies have ubuntu guide, ubuntu forums, google, and IRC - there's plenty of documentation - but the more detail there is in it, (especially if you can stick screenshots in it), the more easily people will be able to switch, and are more likely to stay with ubuntu.

-The windows/linux program list is awesome - here's a request along the same lines:
    Can someone make a list of the common commands in linux for the newbies? Stuff like sudo apt-get remove <program name> - the install is there, but I only happened to find out about the remove via IRC - I would have expected that to be somewhere in the documentation.
    Other common commands like the equivalent of ipconfig release/renew in a guide (and whatever else I havent thought of yet would also be appreciated)

Playing around with the live cd for a few hours is definetly a great way to look at a distro!

To illustrate the point: Over the past few days, i've managed to install the operating system, customise a lot of it, figure out which programs I do and dont want, install new ones via the terminal - all possible due to awesome documentation.
    Yet I go over to try and get wine, see how difficult it seems to be to get, and go running, figuring I will get it later...
    I'm just a windows user who's been using firefox and thunderbird for a while - I have no help apart from things i find on the internet - I'm definetly no expert with linux!
    Last edited by Hobbsee; August 22nd, 2005 at 10:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsee
    -Linux is not as difficult as people might think - newbies have ubuntu guide, ubuntu forums, google, and IRC - there's plenty of documentation - but the more detail there is in it, (especially if you can stick screenshots in it), the more easily people will be able to switch, and are more likely to stay with ubuntu.
    The year 1997. I was 18 years old. Tried to install Red Hat 4.x and something something Caldera ( can't remember exact version number). I had the big thick RedHat guide book that came with the CD. The level of frustration... nearly cried like a baby and gave tantrum while hitting foot on floor like a baby.

Ubuntu (the OS) + Ubuntuforum (this website) = one of the 7 wonders of the moden world.

Now to more related matters. Contrary to popular beliefs/myths I find it girls are more open to trying Ubuntu than guys. In fact for my guy friends, I had to do the installation and everything for them. Yet I have two lady friends that downloaded the ISO, did the checksum, installation and customization all by themselves. All I did was guide them thru IM.

p/s: none of the girls ever gave negative comments about the brown theme.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsee
    I think the reason that screenshots are not in the guide now because it already eats up a BUNCH on bandwidth. I myself would make a screenshot guide if a magic hosting fairy would come and give us the bandwidth we need.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Good point - I made myself slightly unclear (I blame it on my exams...)

Can we have links of the images, and not necessarily the images themselves on the wiki? As far as I know, you could host the images somewhere like imageshack...

Most of the documentation is absolutely fine, only some small parts of it need work, and I dont have the information to write up there - and I wouldnt want to accidently do it wrong!

I should start complaining about the brown theme, but I wont - it's not too bad though, it could be far worse...

I think that the girls that are more technical are more open to try new things - it seems like the ones that are not technical dont use computers that much, except for email and word processing, and some instant messaging...

Oh, and as for magic hosting fairy - try www.funpic.org - it's a great free hoster...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by vkkim
    On that note, what happened to http://spreadubuntu.org? Mozilla's Spread Firefox campaign did wonders for its browser share...

If Ubuntu can rise to the tops of all the Linux distros so quickly [see http://distrowatch.com], why can't it do the same for GNU/Linux as a whole?
    web browsers are non-threatening. they don't make too many demands of their end users.

Operating systems are another story.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus

Operating systems are another story.
    Depends on how you present them.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Third group Biggest Category: Someone with a medium amount of Windows experience.

You cannot bring them to Linux world beacuse of the Msn. They want a program filled with eyecandy. If I show them Gaim they don't like it beacuse it doesn't have webcam an microfon future even thouh NOBODY ever used that!!! They just see that there are some functions missing
    I like msn beacuse that protocol made allot of people stoped using IRC. And Irc is normal again

There is same thing with OOo and Gimp. Win users want to use photoshop (FREE ofcourse) beacuse all graphic proffesionals use it. Many of my friends sad:"I cannot run photoshop in Ubuntu? Ubuntu sux!!" But they have used photoshop twice in their life!!!

I was really hurt when I heard many of my "power user" friends say :Linux sux!!!

I ask them why? And they say:"I have tried Linux in year 2000".

My next goal in life is convert my mother to Ubuntu. I already made her use Firefox and Thuderbird she loves them. So there are no limits for her to use Linux.

And you know how I will present Linux to my mother. IT IS SAFER!!!

I hope my post have a point.
    Im still in OpenSource age but I hope that through the years I will reach for the Free nirvana that is waiting me out there.
    Visit Ubuntu.si forums | My great blog Christoossov pasijon - Slovene version | Passion of the Christooss - English version

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast