Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What annoys you in life?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking What annoys you in life?

Ok that could cause problems but now that i have your attention what annoys you in general. The guy next to you in traffic that thinks the entire motor way needs to listen to his music?
    Last edited by Nunu; October 23rd, 2007 at 12:03 PM.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What annoys you about new users

FYI, around here we generally welcome new users with open arms...so let's keep this polite and friendly everyone.

That said, the only real thing that annoys me are the small number of new users who come in and, after playing with Ubuntu for 10 minutes (or after a failed installation attempt), tell us how things should be done...generally to make things more closely resemble their favorite, previous operating system.

People who come in and ask questions and who are willing to do a little learning/research are most welcome, as are their questions.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Agreed Please people i am not pushing this to insult new user in any way and i myself order every new version in bulk and give it to as many people as i can.

I have to agree though that the guys who expect things to work out the box gets to me a bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How would you define a new user?

Well I think that -new and old users alike - what is most annoying is people who ask things that are really easy to find. Basically the lazy people. And of course it's OK for a user to ask something that is basic knowledge (everyone has to learn that one way or the other).
    Maybe Ubuntu needs a more easily accesible "getting started" with a low entry level that covers most basic administrative tasks

In response to the remark that users who expect everything to Just Work (tm) are annoying, I agree, but keep in mind that most people usually buy their pc's with an operating system already installed and configured.
    If properly installed and configured on the right hardware, with a vendor program that certifies hardware for Linux use , people who would buy a linux computer would get just the same "out-of-the-box" feeling that they feel the other major OSes give.
    Last edited by MaximusTG; October 23rd, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Here's an idea. I'd be amazed if it hasn't been suggested before.

When a user first installs Ubuntu, open up a small "tour" application which will show them round the system, how to open applications, save files, install new packages etc and then close. It might save some of the more basic questions appearing here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Absolutely agreed that is something else that get to me a bit is hardware vendors that refuse to produce drivers for the popular distros. lets sy L**** will create a Linux driver for some of there mice or keyboards it would be awesome. Imagine a fancy keyboard with back lighting and the works that give you the system usage for your Linux distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Airtime View Post
    Here's an idea. I'd be amazed if it hasn't been suggested before.

When a user first installs Ubuntu, open up a small "tour" application which will show them round the system, how to open applications, save files, install new packages etc and then close. It might save some of the more basic questions appearing here.
    Thats actually a very good point. MS did it with XP didn't they

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nothing, because I remember how I was just one year ago
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    Nothing, because I remember how I was just one year ago
    Also true. But to reiterate. The name for this topic should actually change. I don't want to insult the freshman they are here for the same reason we all are. Admins can you change the name of the topic to something like what annoys you in everyday life? is that even possible to do?

Beans

Anyone unwilling to learn annoys me regardless of their status.

I don't mind taking time with those willing to attempt to understand, and ask questions, but I really dislike it when they expect me to do everything, and then blame me or Ubuntu, or their computer, or their dog, instead of themselves.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast