Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: repository address not working????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

repository address not working????

I tried to update my laptop from Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.10. The problem is that I get an error message stating that my repository/update address does not work. The address is http://www.getautomatix.com/apt. I really don't understand what repositories do. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding I have to have a valid web address to get updates from that address for my laptop. Is this correct?
    Hello..my name is Nono
    Linux User #415998

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: repository address not working????

Not only Automatix, seems to be that some other repos are down as as well.

Greetz,

MepisReign

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: repository address not working????

I've been updating and setting up an "off-line" system for the past month or so and the last few visits to the repositories have been inflicted with a DOS signal from what is identified as "Prat.Canonical.com" or "forster.canonical.com"
    IPs are 91.189.89.182 - 91.189.89.6- 91.189.89.8. This signal impeded at first but now impedes access to all repositories except Security. Breezy was supposed to be supported until April but I'm wondering if this is some kind of changeover.

I'd update to Feisty if I had a billing/mailing address, repositories (this as I've figured out how to piece meal a system wide update) or they'd put the newer versions on CD instead of DVD. Be nice if it would support my hardware as well. I'm not going to buy new hardware to satiate some addiction to promiscuous updating of hardware and software to drive the market or Keep up with the Jones' with no real improvement except some inane concept - the more crap in the system the more we can sell - mentality.

Breezy was and is working fine and while I didn't update to Dapper because of the initial bugs in the hardware support, amongst other things I find it highly suspect this blocking of the repositories for anything except security since the announced date of "non-support" is April.
    This is still February isn't it???

Last edited by Oceola; February 24th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Oceola View Post
    I've been updating and setting up an "off-line" system for the past month or so and the last few visits to the repositories have been inflicted with a DOS signal from what is identified as "Prat.Canonical.com" or "forster.canonical.com"
    IPs are 91.189.89.182 - 91.189.89.6- 91.189.89.8. This signal impeded at first but now impedes access to all repositories except Security. Breezy was supposed to be supported until April but I'm wondering if this is some kind of changeover.

I'd update to Feisty if I had a billing/mailing address, repositories (this as I've figured out how to piece meal a system wide update) or they'd put the newer versions on CD instead of DVD. Be nice if it would support my hardware as well. I'm not going to buy new hardware to satiate some addiction to promiscuous updating of hardware and software to drive the market or Keep up with the Jones' with no real improvement except some inane concept - the more crap in the system the more we can sell - mentality.

Breezy was and is working fine and while I didn't update to Dapper because of the initial bugs in the hardware support, amongst other things I find it highly suspect this blocking of the repositories for anything except security since the announced date of "non-support" is April.
    This is still February isn't it???

I'm on Edgy and I can only access Security as well, so I don't think the problem is about Breezy.
    "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Are we getting a solution/expectation before this thread go over 1000 posts?

Greetz

MepisReign

Beans
    Distro

Looks Like we are probably not. I will keep investigating and I will post what I find.
    Hello..my name is Nono
    Linux User #415998

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

same here, can't access edgy repos except for security, i hope this get fixed soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Angry Re: repository address not working????

I am not sure if this is relevant, I have firestarter running, it shows a hit from forester.canonical.com as well as prat.canonical.com. no matter what I allow, firestarter still shows a hit and I get a time out from the server.
    I am at a loss as to why the repositories servers would trigger such action now. it was working fine 3 or 4 days ago

sorry if this is not the right to put this. I haven't found any other threads that come as close as this one for an explanation.

tia for ideas and suggestions

Beans

I've been getting port scanned by forster.canonical.com since I did an update on my edgy machine. Firestarters really getting pissed, and so am I. Any clue as to who the hell this is? Here is a smiley face to cheer up my first post here

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: repository address not working????

It's still the same this morning US E.S.T.
    Couple of things I noticed. I have both the US and Channel repositories for Breezy and there's a signal going out when you try and access both location's the repositories other than the Security and Security Community. I'm wondering if Synaptic isn't borked or this is some kind of tracking setup that's gone "run-a-muck." Synaptic is giving funny reads on the sizes of files as well and I tried to re-install it but couldn't get to the update because of the blocking.

I tried blocking the original ports the signals came in on and it's coming from the repositories themselves either the repos changed ip address for the url or something else is redirecting the signal. I've seen this signal "spoofing" on my ISP at their mail site before and it is directly relational to something the ISP is doing. It may have something to do with Flash or RealMedia.

Be nice to know one way or the other. Spending a year or two in support and use seems kind of wasted without some kind of "Go away we don't like you", "We changed things you can't get in any more" or "You'll have to pay to access the Repos" or maybe just a Big Happy face and a "We fixed it and didn't say anything as a big surprise." I don't want to get anymore sinister in assumptions because there's some downtrodden techie just pulling his hair out about now trying to figure out how the chimps got hold of the rudder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast