Thread: Force upgrades from a repository

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[SOLVED] Force upgrades from a repository

Hi,

I'v added to my sources.list two repositories that have the same program. Actually "medibuntu" and "download.skype.com"

I'v installed some packages from medibuntu and previously i'v installed skype from the other repository.

Now, the update manager keep telling me that i have a pending upgrade, because it's believe that the skype on medibutu's repositories are newer than the other (in fact are the same)

I want to ignore the skype package from medibuntu repository... how can i accomplish that?

Sorry about my English.
    Last edited by newtonfn; October 27th, 2007 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Force upgrades from a repository

It probably has to do with the version number in the medibuntu repositories. You can comment the medibuntu repos in your sources.list, or pin the current package version with synaptic.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks bapoumba,

How can I pin the current package with synaptic but allow futhers updates from a specified repositories to the same package ? The closest thing, that's seems to work, that I found in synaptic is Force Version, but that will not let me upgrade the package anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newtonfn View Post
    Thanks bapoumba,

How can I pin the current package with synaptic but allow futhers updates from a specified repositories to the same package ? The closest thing, that's seems to work, that I found in synaptic is Force Version, but that will not let me upgrade the package anymore.
    True. The other solution is to install the medibuntu one (you said they were identical) and subsequently upgrade from medibuntu when a new version is available.
    Package managers will always install the highest version from the repos specified in the sources.list.

So if you want to keep the "download.skype.com" package, comment the medibuntu repos (you can uncomment them on the spot once to upgrade some other packages).

In any case, all my third party repos are commented for day-to-day upgrades or installs. I uncomment for specific upgrades, or installs, and comment them right after that (same thing for the backports).
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After several days without internet I could do a little more research and solve my problem. (connectivity in my country is a nightmare)

Thanks the tip about "pin a package" and thanks Google and this forum I discovered that I could create a file called /etc/preferences where I can set a priority to sources and/or packages

I have created the file /etc/apt/preferences with the following text
    Code:
    Package: * 
    Pin: release l=Medibuntu
    Pin-Priority: 400
    That tells apt that the Medibuntu repository have lower priority than others repositories. Then, if a package exist in other repository apt will try to install (or update) from them... if I request a package that only exist in Medibuntu, then will be installed from Medibuntu.

More information can be found goggling for "apt pin"
    A site that was very useful for me is: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.es.html

Finaly, thank bapoumba for your assistance and patience.
    Fernando

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hey, that is a very elegant solution
    Many thanks to you for sharing it. I knew you could pin a package version, but never looked how to set a priority to a repo. Learning new things everyday ^^
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]