Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

I Read the article and i can see where your question steam from according to the right up. I do think that if you could some how make the two interfaces more inter-compatible, it would be a giant step forward for Linux and would probably make it easer for the little penguin to be featured on more bigger developers software boxes.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I would like to see Kubuntu be an officially maintained package again, say with KDE 4.1 - but KDE has too many options for the beginner.

That said if someone would want to explore Linux once they're used to it I'd advise them to try Kubuntu any day.

Kubuntu in my opinion is the power user desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bluefightingcat View Post
    My intention is not to start a flame war but I came across this article that you might find interesting.
    It takes a look at the big picture with Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac, and the effects that Gnome and KDE are having on that scenario.
    I remember that article. It's well thought out yes, but he forgot to add one thing in the equation of the desktop battle: Competition. The struggle between KDE and Gnome for the default Linux desktop is the main fuel behind the drive for better development. Killing either will only have a different DE step in... like E17 or XFCE.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Very valid point!

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Go Xfce

For those who think Kubuntu is a buggy implementation of KDE in *buntu: You can always choose to install the command line version of *buntu and add KDE to your liking to it.

In the end, we Linux users, actually can think and make the system behave the way we want it.

So, go ahead, grab yourself an alternate install disk, install the basic system and then get the KDE stuff on it

Beans

KDE is a bad way for a OS, I do not mean anything bad to the developers, but I had to reinstall Ubuntu to use the full HD, so I thought I would doss about and install Kubuntu instead, it was horrendous, the bouncing KDE logo on the pointer left a gray mark which never disappeared. I hate KDE full stop, although it might be to somebody's taste, I don't think that I would ever goto another OS ever again, I am hooked on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

I think the reason KDE was not chosen initially has to do with the different approaches of the desktop environments. KDE is more application oriented than Gnome (which is more use(r) oriented). I will elaborate on this later. To summarize my point: seeing as the goal of Ubuntu is to be an operating system for human beings and as easy to use as possible it makes sense for Gnome to get more development time. KDE aims for something else, so the Ubuntu devs would in the end be trying to make KDE into something it's not. Kubuntu is therefore offered as an alternative. Since KDE development is not tied to Ubuntu, KDE and Kubuntu will progress regardless of the input by Canonical.

I will now elaborate on the different approaches taken by KDE and Gnome:

Users have certain needs. To accomplish these needs they use applications on top of their operating systems. As a test case I will name CD burning. What people want to do is write their data to disc (be it music or documents).

The application oriented way is to have a very spesific solution to do this: K3b is a prime example of this. It is a single application that specializes in writing data to disks. This is the KDE way for things throughout. Lot's of apps for spesific tasks. In KDE when you want to do things you are pointed to an app that does the said things, and then trained in the use of that application.

The use(r) oriented way is to focus on instead on integration, continuity and consistency. Therefore Ubuntu by default has no app to burn CDs (it does, but is practically invisible to the user). That is, the Gnome devs thought: "Why should the fact I want to put files on a CD be different from putting files anywhere else on my file systems?" The end-result is quite seamless and easy. If you have an ISO file, all you have to do is right-click it, and there will be an option to burn it to disc. If you wish to burn files to a CD, you simply drag them over the CD-folder and hit the 'write' button. Much fewer steps than with K3b. In user oriented design burning files to disc is just another file management task, and is therefore a job for Nautilus.

Of course we're all entitled to our favorites, but I'm simply trying to explain why I believe KDE was not chosen as the default desktop environment for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by blueturtl; October 22nd, 2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarification
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    I think the reason KDE was not chosen initially has to do with the different approaches of the desktop environments. KDE is more application oriented than Gnome (which is more use(r) oriented). I will elaborate on this later. To summarize my point: seeing as the goal of Ubuntu is to be an operating system for human beings and as easy to use as possible it makes sense for Gnome to get more development time. KDE aims for something else, so the Ubuntu devs would in the end be trying to make KDE into something it's not. Kubuntu is therefore offered as an alternative. Since KDE development is not tied to Ubuntu, KDE and Kubuntu will progress regardless of the input by Canonical.

I will now elaborate on the different approaches taken by KDE and Gnome:

Users have certain needs. To accomplish these needs they use applications on top of their operating systems. As a test case I will name CD burning. What people want to do is write their data to disc (be it music or documents).

The application oriented way is to have a very spesific solution to do this: K3b is a prime example of this. It is a single application that specializes in writing data to disks. This is the KDE way for things throughout. Lot's of apps for spesific tasks. In KDE when you want to do things you are pointed to an app that does the said things, and then trained in the use of that application.

The use(r) oriented way is to focus on instead on integration, continuity and consistency. Therefore Ubuntu by default has no app to burn CDs (it does, but is practically invisible to the user). That is, the Gnome devs thought: "Why should the fact I want to put files on a CD be different from putting files anywhere else on my file systems?" The end-result is quite seamless and easy. If you have an ISO file, all you have to do is right-click it, and there will be an option to burn it to disc. If you wish to burn files to a CD, you simply drag them over the CD-folder and hit the 'write' button. Much fewer steps than with K3b. In user oriented design burning files to disc is just another file management task, and is therefore a job for Nautilus.

Of course we're all entitled to our favorites, but I'm simply trying to explain why I believe KDE was not chosen as the default desktop environment for Ubuntu.

Have you ever even used kde???

KDE is far far more intergrated than gnome, it has data sharing between all the systems. Look at gnome we have natuilus...which does not even have tabs, then we have firefox which has NOTHING to do with gnome its just a cross platform browser, then evolution or thunderbird for email both with NO integration whatso ever with the default system, then a host of small apps to administer the system.

KDE has a nice integration between konqueror>kontact>koffice AND kolab (kde has a server for basing your network off of). Kde has a control centre.

Ubuntu was chosen because it looks diffrent from windows, and kubuntu suffers from lack of user support.

Kde is going to wipe the floor and all these silly comments about KDE being slow and ugly have nothing to do with real world kde users OR why ubuntu chose gnome.

How is this thread not in the frequently discussed topics or backyard by now its just a slagging match against KDE....as normal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Maybe people don't want an all-in-one integrated service à la Microsoft (Windows + IE + Office)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Have you ever even used kde???
    I have, although admiteddly it's been some time...

KDE is far far more intergrated than gnome, it has data sharing between all the systems.
    Integration can mean a lot of things. I may not have implied it correctly, but in this case what I mean by integration is the integration of tasks. Gnome pursues a kind of integration that will make things like "a cd burning application" or "control center" stand out as unnecessary.

Look at gnome we have natuilus...which does not even have tabs, then we have firefox which has NOTHING to do with gnome its just a cross platform browser, then evolution or thunderbird for email both with NO integration whatso ever with the default system, then a host of small apps to administer the system.
    KDE has more features, I know this, but it's not what I was talking about. Obviously I'm not saying Gnome is complete and integration between different applications is lacking in some cases (even in the context that I'm referring to). To open up a calendar or control volume I need not launch a separate application in Gnome. That is another example of the way the system uses smart task integration. Also the system settings scattered in their own menu entries is a part of this integration. No application, just dialogs for certain settings. From the user's perspective this makes Ubuntu's desktop appear the heart of the system, rather than just a shell running on top of something else.

KDE has a nice integration between konqueror>kontact>koffice AND kolab (kde has a server for basing your network off of). Kde has a control centre.
    I'm not denying the existence of any of KDE's features.

Ubuntu was chosen because it looks diffrent from windows, and kubuntu suffers from lack of user support.
    Kde is going to wipe the floor and all these silly comments about KDE being slow and ugly have nothing to do with real world kde users OR why ubuntu chose gnome.
    Uhh.. I wasn't attacking KDE in any way. I think it's a nice system. Both approaches have their fans and that is why it's great that we have both. I did mention in my previous post that all that I write is based on a hunch of mine.

How is this thread not in the frequently discussed topics or backyard by now its just a slagging match against KDE....as normal.
    You sound angry. Take a pill and remember it doesn't matter what others think of your favorite desktop environment.
    Eternally confused.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast