Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Beans

Re: Will Kubuntu ever be default?

Are looks and available packages not valid enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by bluefightingcat View Post
    Why not? I have to admit I do lean more towards KDE and am very excited about KDE 4.0. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

Do you have any valid reasons (besides looks and available packages) for not wanting KDE?

BFC
    No, that's about it. I don't like the look and feel, the naming conventions, or the native applications (with a couple of exceptions: Digikam is currently much better than F-Spot, for example).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bluefightingcat View Post
    Southernman: Ok let me re-phrase my question. Will Kubuntu ever get as much resources and development put into it as Ubuntu? I could be wrong but I get the impression that Canonical spend alot more time and resources on Ubuntu. I mean just compare the websites!

Hessiess: Ugly is not a valid reason. You can make Kubuntu look identical to Gnome, VISTA XP or any other desktop environment. Naming scheme may be stupid but it doesn't make any difference in practice. And well you are going to have to qualify what you mean by "mess".

Nunu: Fair enough. I agree that it is personal preference. Have you had a look at the reviews of KDE 4.0. It's still in development but promises to take a huge leap forward.

BFC
    Remember that Kubuntu was a sub project in the beginning and is as far as my knowledge goes getting more attention then what was originally planned for it. Again correct me if i am wrong
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans
    Hidden!

Snowball's chance in hell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's one of those desktop wars again.. Me likes.
    My opinion.
    When i was using other distros like suse and fedora i always used kde. Gnome seems/seemed to me like a braindead desktop environment. It has so little options to configure that the first time i installed it back then i thought i must have done something wrong and installed a kids edition or something and looked on how to enable the advanced options. I think the whole idea of a gui is not to impose the correct way to you but to provide defaults and when you fill comfortable enough to experiment to let you customize it to your liking.
    When i heard about ubuntu i didn't know of the various flavors of it (I thought i would get a menu asking for what i want to install ! To my surprise it didn't) and so I got gnome. I now use gnome for about 6 months and came to terms with it. It seems light weight and fast.
    I sure miss the endless options of kde but the 2 things I really really miss is that it had an option for the windows to remember their last position and the various options of the filemanager.

Ps I'm also waiting for kde 4 to reach rc 1 or 2 at least to give it a spin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My intention is not to start a flame war but I came across this article that you might find interesting.
    It takes a look at the big picture with Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac, and the effects that Gnome and KDE are having on that scenario.

http://hopachai.wordpress.com/2007/0...to-kill-gnome/

BFC
    Ubuntu User # 16592
    Linux User #451958
    www.bluefightingcat.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think KDE will ever be the default of Ubuntu. Will the popularity of Kubuntu increase dramatically over Ubuntu once KDE4 is out? Of course it will. However, they (the developers) still have quite a bit to do with KDE4 before I could consider it a replacement for gnome. I like gnome quite a bit over KDE as the featureset of KDE is a complete mess. Just the other day it took me a couple hours to figure out where the "disable single click to launch" feature was hidden. I eventually gave up and asked on these forums. Why are features as simple as that hidden so deep? The problem is, I don't think KDE4 is going to be much different from what I've seen.

Beans

Oh my god, I love this community but some of the posts this topic gets are embarrassingly childish.

The guy was just asking a question not insulting your mother, grow up KDE is just a DE you don't have to be so rude about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's a huge article and i confess i didn't read it all. He has a good point about the linux desktop which is divided but we certainly don't wont something killed. Having diversity and choices it's certainly a good thing.
    I remember using enlightenment once. It had some out of this world animations back then. I would certainly not want to kill that either although I've tested it lately(e17) and wasn't impressed.

I think should be more about cooperation and agreeing to some standards.

...it took me a couple hours to figure out where the "disable single click to launch" feature was hidden.
    . I know it's frighting at first. Either you love it or hate it.
    But you are right, kde shoud have had an option/mentality of dividing the most used options and the advanced/rest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think that were the majority of users to switch to Kubuntu following the release of KDE4 then the community would respond by paying it more attention. The result of this is that more discussions would occur which assumed users to be using Kubuntu, essentially rendering it the community default.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast