Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE v. GNOME

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

KDE v. GNOME

Which is better? I've read mixed things. So is either one better? I've really been looking into them and GNOME sure does LOOK cooler IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: KDE v. GNOME

The old battle between KDE and Gnome again...
    I am using Icewm right now
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

It's really a matter of what you're expecting. Gnome is known for being simple and designed so that any one can pick it up in no time at all. KDE is designed so that the user can customize anything they want. This has led gnome to be simpler at the expense of customization, while KDE is the opposite.

My understanding, I haven't used KDE since 6.10 so I could be wrong, is that gnome plays much nicer with Compiz and all the cool effects.

There's always the option of XFCE, which is similar to gnome, but lighter weight, easier to strip down to next to nothing, and behaves a little bit differently.

If you've got the disk space try each Desktop out, see what you like, what you don't, and don't be afraid to mix and match.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've used a TINY bit of KDE but it just didn't look all that great, but maybe cause I didn't customize it at all. and I'm not to sure about XFCE. What is icewm?
    I'll probably just try all of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree with the previous post. In order to find something you like you should try them out. It's free and you'll learn quite a bit about each desktop environment.

My preference is Gnome. But I used KDE for a couple of years. I realized I didn't need the configuration power, I just wanted it to look simple yet classy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's all a matter of personal preference. Just try them both is the best advice I can give.
    XVII on irc.freenode.net | Openbox | XVII on Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As the previous posters said, there is no right answer, but I have had a little bit of experience installing these for other people and I found people who had lived with XP all their lives had a faster startup with KDE (you can even make it look identical to XP). Look at it any way you will, but I guess Windows users are more used to complex interfaces and navigating a long way to get somewhere. On the other hand they are also used to being able just to right-click their mouse and change anything they want.

But for someone who has used macs all their life, like my wife, Gnome was the obvious choice because it's so hard to break anything and very intuitive. It's true, they seem to be aiming at people who are not accustomed to highly complex interfaces, or don't want to muck around with their computer but want to sit down and start working straight away.

Either way they can both be made to look very elegant and so forth, but I find Gnome is a bit more general-public-use than KDE. I prefer gnome for my work because I hate visual clutter and all I really need a window manager for is to open my applications, but when I had more time on my hands I found KDE scratched the tinkerer's itch much better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had GNOME on my laptop for about two weeks. I have a legion of Linux gurus around me all with differing opinions. The one I had help me restore my MBR and reinstall Ubuntu (long story) decided he wanted to put KDE on my compy instead. I like that I can screw around with it more but it is much more cluttered than GNOME (now I'm holding out for KDE4 so I can really mess around with it). I love doing that sort of stuff! My parent's computer had Windows 3.1 and all I did with that was change the colors of the tabs with the color mixer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

u should try both first then u can choose which one is better..

me, myself, i use gnome coz its more user-friendly...
    Compaq Presario V3000 series - Intel Centrino Duo 1.60 GHz - 2 GB of RAM - 80 GB HDD ( T_T - try to upgrade but no money left...)

"They ask me for what i know but not what i went to school for"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast