%cd /home/alex/desktop/dri/libdrm
    %./configure
    %make
    %make install
    %make clean

and then, for the final test ...

/usr/local/abaqus/Command/abaqus cae

...error in Abaqus/cae kernel

And what sucks is that it does not tell what is missing...

And i guess it must be something simple and stupid...

My modules section in Xorg.conf is the same as yours...

I already installed Abaqus 6.7-1 x32 for Linux under Novell Suse 10.0, and OpenSuse 10.1, and SLED 10.0 SP1, it launched without any prob...

The only catch I have w/ Suse Linux 10.0 is that it does not reckon my hardware out of the box, like Ubuntu, nor does it have an update manager like Synaptic...

The problem w/ SLED 10 SP1, or OpenSuse 10.1 is that it does not allow me to work with Pro/Engineer unlsess i am connected to the web...

I guess there is some kind of bug with PORTMAP service...

So taht really leaves me w/ only two options Ubuntu 7.10, or Suse Linux 10.0... and i definitely prefer Ubuntu...

Beans

Re: ABAQUS: finite element analysis

Guess what...

I solved the problem...

I only neede to use the -mesa flag in the end of the /abaqus cae command...

Now I can use Abaqus in Interactive mode...

Thanks for yr help..

Alex

Beans

Congrats, good for you, now welcome to Ubuntu.

if you want, you can make a alias for mesa command in your bashrc file.

Do you have to use that funny command XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 to avoid desktop effects ?

Enjoy
    Last edited by cherry316316; February 1st, 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Beans

Hi...

Regrettably I don't... My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon x2300, meaning it does not support graphical 3d acceleration, at least not with the restricted driver of Ubuntu... don't know yet if it will be different w/ the most recent drivers of ATI, but i suspect not...

I have an Asus F3Jr, and i guess the guys at ASUS are Bill's friends...

Alex

Beans

The "-mesa" option slows down the Abaqus CAE to an unacceptable level so this is no solution at the end of the day.

Since your video card drivers do not have the full hardware 3D acceleration support you need to disable the 3D acceleration in the xorg.conf. To do so you go to the Section "Device" and set the option DRI to false:

Option "DRI" "False"

This option works with the "Intel" video driver. Check your ATI drivers documentation for disabling the 3D acceleration.

In SUSE 10 you can disable 3D acceleration in the video card options through some GUI dialog where you can uncheck 3d acceleration. In Ubuntu Gutsy, however I could not find any dialog for this so I edited the xorg.conf.

This solution does not bring you to the level of rendering speed under Windows but is definitely faster than the "-mesa" option.

Beans

Hi Babuz',

The relevant section of my xorg.conf is

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

No reference to DRI, whatsoever...

Does the -mesa option slows down the numeric speed performance of Abaqus too ?

I mean, one preprocesses or defines a jof, this is highly interactive, but not as time consuming to the overall FEA analysis process as the solution itself, then comes the postprocessing, i suppose U mean that -mesa slows down the preprocessing and the postprocessing, not the solution itself...

Anyway, my section device has no reference to DRI, what would you advise me to do so as not to degrade Abaqus performance... ?

Thanks for your time

Alex

Beans

I added the "DRI" option by myself.

If this helps, here is listing of my xorg.conf (for intel video).

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graph
    ics Controller"
    Driver "intel"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option "monitor-TV" "TV"
    Option "DRI" "False"
    Option "Legacy3D" "False"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    EndSection

Beans

You guys might want to post on a Linux forum as well. There are a lot of sharp ppl out there that can probably solve your install problem

Beans

Hi there everyone. I'm using Abaqus 6.7 for my research study. Anyone here knows how to generate the deflection on a loaded beam? FYI my reserach is on scissors lift. Hope for some reply..thanks, cheers..

Beans

Hi
    I have just started using Abaqus for my research work. I was wondering if any one of you knew how I could edit the input file created by the job manager and then run it. Basically I have to enter the void ration of soil. Abaqus/CAE does not support it, so I have to mention the void ration in the .inp file after creating the input file. After editing this input file, how am I supposed to run this? By submitting the job, it doesn't consider the changes that I make in the input file since it makes a new inp file according to the CAE specifications.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast