Thread: Steam Games Hanging

Beans

Steam Games Hanging

OK, I bet everyone is getting tired of the Steam questions however I'm to new to fix this. So here goes... After spending 3 hours getting steam and wine installed last night I played portal for about 4 hours. Some time later Ubuntu told me there was an update to wine so I had it installed. Now all the games lock up after about 5 sec of play? I have already tried reinstalling wine. Is there a way to remove the update that was installed last night?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Steam Games Hanging

Could you confirme what Ubuntu version you are running? I had the same issue under 7.04 (Feisty) and ended up getting wine directly from wineHQ.

After I uppgraded to Gutsy (7.10) I have no problems. I'll check my settings when I get home and post what workes for me.
    Running Ubuntu on a vast range of equipment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you remember what the previous version of wine you installed was, you can download the deb package from the links here:

http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

then a

sudo dpkg -i <name of file you just downloaded>

will restore you to that version of wine.

Note that the most recent release of wine, 0.9.47 seems to be rather unstable for a lot of people playing Source engine games, so that's probably the version you're running now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, here is what works for me:

I am running Gutsy and wine 0.9.46 (out of the box).

In wine config:
    - Applications > Add application: hl2.exe
    - Applications: select hl2.exe then Windows Version: Windows 98 (if I try Win XP the system crashes)
    - Applications > Add application:steam.exe
    - Applications: select steam.exe then Windows Version: Windows XP (Steam will not install under 98 )

- Audio > Sound Drivers > ALSA Driver (and only ALSA!)
    - Audio > Hardware Acceleration: Full
    - Audio > Default Sample Rate: 44100 and Def. Bits Per Sample: 16
    - Audio > Driver Emulation: checked

- Graphics > Check the 2 top boxes
    - Graphics > Direct3D: Hardware
    - Graphics > Check Allow Pixel Shader

Starting Steam
    I start the game I want to run directly. Earlier this was the only way I could get it to work righ because I use 2x19' monitors and TwinView and the game would start trying to fill both monitors (both in full screen and windowed mode). Steam seems to have updated something, because now the window for the game stays the way it should even if you switch (through Steam) from, say, CSS to Portal.

I use the following command line to start a game:
    Code:
    :~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/jomar/.wine" WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 240 -window -width 1240 -gl -dxlevel81
    • The env WINEPREFIX="/home/jomar/.wine" part is there so if you put it in the "Launcher" under icon - it will know where to run the program from.
    • The WINEDEBUG="-all" part turn off the error messages from wine. Not turning this off is the main reason ppl only get 1-5 FPS. (the system is too busy producing error messages)
    • wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" starts the game
    • -applaunch 240 tells it to start CS:S (exchange with 440 for TF2, 400 for Portal, etc)
    • -window starts the game in windowed mode (rather than fullscreen)
    • -width 1240 sets the window to 1240 by 930 (you can also use -hight xxx but you don't have to give both width and hight. The game defaults to 4:3)
    • -gl -dxlevel81sets the DirectX to use (-dxlevel7, -dxlevel80 and -dxlevel9 are also valid) 81 worked for me.

Hope this can be of help
    Last edited by esodin; October 22nd, 2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: More info
    Running Ubuntu on a vast range of equipment

Beans

Thanks for all the replys. I'm sorry I did not post my version before a little bone headed of me. I just install 7.10 a couple of nights ago. I am not sure what version of wine 9.47 I think. I will check when I get home.

Thanks again.

-----------------------------

"I am running Gutsy and wine 0.9.46 (out of the box)."

AH HA, I bet I was running 9.46 and it upgraded to 9.47. I will try and downgrade when I get home.

With any luck I will not have to reboot and log into that "other" OS.
    Last edited by joshL; October 22nd, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Omg, thank you, thank you, thank you!