Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Impression of OSX from an OS *****

Beans

Re: First Impression of OSX from an OS *****

I hate waiting for new computers to arrive.

I've paid for it, give it to me, NOW godammit.

I ordered a Macbook Pro on Tuesday (upgrading from Macbook) and it's giving me a nervous breakdown having to wait until the last day of the month to get it through my door.

I phoned Apple to find out what OS will be installed on my new machine, and I was pleased to hear thats it's leopard!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj303 View Post
    I hate waiting for new computers to arrive.

I've paid for it, give it to me, NOW godammit.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but people who have that attitude make my job as an electrical salesperson REALLY difficult. Everyone up the supply chain is doing their best to fill your order - give it time, don't hassle us, it's coming. I don't mind customers asking for an ETA every so often, just as long as they're polite!

I hope the gods of computer components and transport smile on you, and that you get your Macbook Pro soon
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm curious as to how it is. I want to get a Macbook later (like, when I get a job or something) and I want to know what others Linux fans think of dual booting or at least having it.
    I'M USING CAPSLOCK.

Beans

The problem I had when dual (or even triple) booting, was to find a use for Ubuntu

Honestly, Once you get everything working you sit back and think 'now what?'

My needs are much better fulfilled in OSX, so I do little more in Ubuntu than ****-about with BERYL..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Note: This will be broken into multiple posts because the forums for some reason will not let me post beyond a certain length at a time.
    Well, I finally got my hands on my macbook. Had to go to the local FedEx warehouse and pick it up myself, despite numerous assurances the address was corrected and it would be in the mail "tomorrow morning" (on three consecutive days).
    Well, the evils of FedEx aside, I love my new Macbook.
    I have to admit, I like OSX more than I thought I would, despite still feeling guilty for using a proprietary OS. God help me I love the gloss - the first time I activated the media interface I sat for probably a good minute just watching the desktop disappear and reappear pressing the menu button on the remote. And it boots faster than any brand new Windows PC I've ever owned - I haven't clocked it, but it may surpass Damn Small Linux boottimes.
    I like OSX. I LOVE the Macbook. It's my first dual core computer, and the most RAM I've ever had in one machine. I have yet to experience the slightest bit of slowdown or lag, even in a Kubuntu live CD.
    Registered Ubuntu user #4019 Registered Linux user #434490
    Personal Blog completely unrelated to Linux

Beans
    Distro

(cont'd from previous post)
    Speaking of which, I have a dualboot setup with rEFIt. Took a bit of getting used to (I'm not used to installing programs in OSX, much less one that has to be in the boot record) but it is working perfectly now, with a 64bit Kubuntu in the last 20GB's. As I expected, everything works but wireless - when I get the chance I'll have to set about getting the newest madwifi.
    I am still trying to justify the fact that I had to buy a proprietary OS, but A) at least it's not Windows B) I'll still be doing my daily activities and school work in Kubuntu and C) at least I have OSS on the machine - I'm writing this from Firefox, and I also have Adium installed. Eventually I'm going to see about getting KDE for OSX installed, because I love me some Amarok! Perhaps I'll wait for the official release of KDE4
    So, that's the short version - as I said, I like OSX and I love the computer that it came on. When I get Finale and Login installed - the main reason I bought this lappy - perhaps I'll update.
    update: got madwifi up and running with little trouble. Wireless works perfectly
    Last edited by Scheater5; October 29th, 2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj303 View Post
    The problem I had when dual (or even triple) booting, was to find a use for Ubuntu
    Well, for me, my only use for OSX is Finale and Logic. Ubuntu completely fulfills my needs except for music notation. When this computer gets retired some years hence, all the gloss and pretty interfaces may make for the perfect jukebox, but I really don't know if I'll ever have a use for them. Pretty as they are - and this applies to the dock, too - it's just not as efficient as even KDE, much less fluxbox or something like that.
    I spend alot of time in Kubuntu tweaking my interface and getting it set up JUST right. Much more time than I spend actually doing work. Not because I like toying with my system, but because I don't want to fight my interface when I set about doing work - I set it up right, and then don't have to worry about it when I work. OSX...well, maybe I'm just not used to it, but it doesn't seem either as customizable nor as efficient. Pretty, will do just fine for what I need it for - but not for the bulk of my work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

yeah, so I went to the Apple Store near my home town and checked out the Apple laptops there, and after messing around a bit with both the Macbook, and the Macbook Pro, I would have to say that the Macbook looks and acts like shi* compared to the Pro.

Leopard is cool, and has some pretty cool new features that I probably won't be using all of whole lot. Initially I didnt like the new dock either, but I think that it is starting to grow on me a bit.

I do think that the price difference between the Macbook Pro and the Macbook makes sense to me now, as before I simply thought it was too over priced, and all the difference was in a simple video card. They do both act very differently as far as performance is concerned... a definitely noticeable difference.

Blaine

Beans
    Distro

here is a link to change the lights in the dock.

here
    is a link to change the dock all together because the dock does look, in my opinion, rather bulky.

I dont know about Darwin, but if you were to change this, would it have to happen every time after a system restart? Just put it into init.d via a script? Is there one of these inside MacOSX? Im sure if not, then there is a way. Maybe I dont know what I am talking about.

Blaine

Beans
    Distro

I got the Apple Macbook. I must say that it is really nice, and from what I can tell so far, a clean running OS. I havent dug in too deeply yet though.

Ive had it for about two weeks so far, using only the simple end user stuff like email, itunes, etc.

I had to get a ogg converter since my entire music collection is in vorbis, which works great because of a handy plugin that you just drop into the components folder, and itunes plays vorbis... smoothly I might add as well.

things seems to flow together nicely with the OS theme. And quite a few open source prebuilt programs for OSX available. Can always compile from source too with universal if you cant find what you like. Apple downloads has lots of free programs to choose from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast