Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Beans

Re: Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Quote Originally Posted by Malaz View Post
    The version of VirtualBox OSE included in Ubuntu doesn't include the iso, and won't download it. That is why it must be downloaded separately.
    Got it. Also found the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...se/+bug/210352

Definitely something that needs fixing.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Re: Where to find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Using Ubuntu Hardy Heron...

I followed the instructions from VirtualBox.org, so I added the repos from Virtualbox as described here:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Please note that the latest release as of today is 3.0.6.

Then I installed from Synaptic. Make sure you select all these:
    1. virtualbox-3.0
    2. virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-24.0.10 (meta-package, see description: virtualbox-ose-guest module for linux-image-generic)
    3. virtualbox-ose-guest-utils

Make sure you add the meta-package(s) for your specific kernel (I have "generic").

After installation a shortcut is placed under menu in Applications > System Tools > Sun VirtualBox.

On my machine the menu item was there but didn't show up, so I had to either log out and log back in, or reset the gnome panels with this command in the terminal: killall gnome-panel.

The guest additions iso is located here:
    /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

After this all went nicely, I just followed the instructions in the user manual, which can be downloaded from here:
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...UserManual.pdf

Hope this helps... good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Why are people wanting to download the Guest Additions separately. All you have to do is start your guest OS. After it is booted up and ready to use, make sure you are in windowed mode (as opposed to full screen), open "Devices" from the menu bar, and select "Install Guest Additions..." Normally, it will start up automatically, but if it doesn't, just open the Windows "start" menu, go to "My Computer" (or "Computer" in Vista) and double click on the CD labeled "VirtualBox Guest Additions." I've never had to download the ISO either in the OSE or PUEL versions.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, for these instructions!

I'd been going crazy for at least 2 hours with my mouse locked inside the VirtualBox (running in Ubuntu 9.10) containing Windows XP, before I found your post. I had to download the ".iso" file but was able to do that smoothly within Windows XP. Simply installing the Guest Additions has freed my mouse to move freely between the VirtualBox and Unbuntu.

BTW, the VBoxGuestAdditions are now version 3.0.8.

PS: What a shame that income-tax software isn't available for Linux! (If it were, I wouldn't have had to spend several hours today installing VirtualBox, then XP inside it, and then seemingly endless updates.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    PS: What a shame that income-tax software isn't available for Linux! (If it were, I wouldn't have had to spend several hours today installing VirtualBox, then XP inside it, and then seemingly endless updates.)
    There are several options available for LInux, GNUCash and KMyMoney are the two I would start with.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    There are several options available for LInux, GNUCash and KMyMoney are the two I would start with.
    GNUCash and KMyMoney are good programs for recording one's income and expenditures, but what I had in mind was programs like TurboTax and H&R Block At Home. These prepare a person's or family's Federal and State income-tax forms, a task which for most of us in the USA is an annoyingly laborious annual necessity. To my regret, I couldn't get Wine to handle either TurboTax or At Home--and April 15 is looming closer and closer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    BTW, the VBoxGuestAdditions are now version 3.0.8.
    And, on my system, the ".iso" file is stored as

/home/ron/.VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions_3.0.8.iso

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123