Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To LVM in Mythbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: How To LVM in Mythbuntu

Is there any way at all to do this at install time?
    I have a 40GB drive as sda and an 80GB drive as sdb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To LVM in Mythbuntu

You can follow these manual steps prior to install if you would like. There is no GUI (yet) for this however built into the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

OK. Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is one other way to do the Mythbuntu install with LVM. I used the Ubuntu Server alternate CD to install Ubuntu server on a 2 HDD system with LVM. I used the server install because I wanted an install with as little extraneous packages as possible. I then installed the mythbuntu-desktop package via the commandline with:

sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop

This method gives you a bit more options for setting up your partitions and LVM.

One tricky but easy to deal with issue I ran into was installing the proprietary 3D drivers for my Nvidia card. I found out that you have to uninstall the server kernel and install the generic kernel, because the server kernel does not have a pre-compiled package for the restricted kernel modules

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Is there anything else one needs to know to convert a ubuntu-server install into a mythbuntu install? It looks like ubuntu-server makes LVMs trivial, and I'd much rather just install that and then apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop than mess with the 30-odd steps mentioned in the first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by trimeta View Post
    Is there anything else one needs to know to convert a ubuntu-server install into a mythbuntu install? It looks like ubuntu-server makes LVMs trivial, and I'd much rather just install that and then apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop than mess with the 30-odd steps mentioned in the first post.
    Yeah you should be able to go this route, but you will just have post install configuration steps to sort out still that are normally handled by the installer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: How To LVM in Mythbuntu

Hi,

LVM is fantastic and I now use it for everything (mediabox, laptop, desktop, SLUG). The ability to grow a FS or take a snapshot (or even add another distro) is invaluable for managing a myth box.

Compared to the original poster (thanks for bringing LVM to people's attention =D>), I preferred to go a little more fine-grained with my LVM setup. I have created LVs for each of the music, pictures, recordings and videos directories (as well as /home and the root partition...and my swap partition is getting more nervous every day ).

With this scheme you can allocate your space more efficiently and also use different file systems for different directories (I use JFS for recordings and videos, and ext3 for the others...you can use your favorites instead).

Also, when trying out a new distro (e.g. when I tried Mythbuntu!) you can easily reuse your /home in the new installation, and your music/pictures/videos will all be accessible from the VG.

Here is the relevant output of my mounts:

/dev/mapper/vg-mythbuntu64 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    /dev/mapper/vg-home on /home type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/mapper/vg-images on /var/lib/mythtv/pictures type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/mapper/vg-music on /var/lib/mythtv/music type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/mapper/vg-root on /media/old-mythtv type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/mapper/vg-recordings on /var/lib/mythtv/recordings type jfs (rw)
    /dev/mapper/vg-videos on /var/lib/mythtv/videos type jfs (rw)
    For those of you who like GUI stuff, there is a tool called system-config-lvm that is very useful for getting a n00b head around this LVM business. Unfortunately it isn't available in the repos but you can get a hold of the RPM and use the alien tool to make it into an installable package. See http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ty-7-04-a.html (first google hit) for details on how to install it.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For what it's worth, I recommend people use LVM even if they don't think they need it. It makes it much easier to expand or regroup later on.

For example, I have a 500 GB RAID 5 array (3x250), and even though this is one device, I use LVM to make one logical volume out of it. Next summer, I hope to buy two 500 GB drives, and make a 500 GB RAID 1 array (2x500). Since I put an LVM layer on top of my current RAID array, I'll be able to add my new 500 GB array to the volume group and expand the physical volume to 1 TB without ever taking my volumes offline (except to shut down so I can plug in the new devices).

Beans

One reason you might want to size down the partition is to replace hardware for even more capacity. As an example, I started out with three 400 G PATA IDE hard drives in my current system. When I replaced the motherboard a couple of weeks ago, the new motherboard only came with 1 PATA IDE bus, but 4 SATA IDE interfaces. I elected to add a couple of 500 gig SATA drives to my LVM, and along with the SATA DVD-R/W(+/-) and a sata to pata plug I now have all existing drive interfaces in use.

Let's say I would really rather use all of the SATA interfaces for 500G drives as one logical volume to improve performance. (It's not necessary. The highest bandwidth requirement I'm going to have when handling video files is moving them, which in my case is almost always across the net, but just for consideration.)

To do that, and have a dvd drive that doesn't use a usb port, I'm going to have to drop at least two of the 400G hard drives that are in the LVM. The process is time expensive enough to be reasonably discarded for many people. After all it's just video, you can almost always re-record it. Right? Well perhaps. But in this case I would rather not. At the very least it's a pain to copy things back and forth over the net.

Similarly I could decide to replace all the SATA devices with 1 TB drives in the next couple of years. Having the opportunity to re-size the LVM to get the hadware that I don't want to keep in the system off the LVM is somewhat handy. If it can't be done with XFS, that suggests to me that XFS isn't the correct file system for a dynamic system.

Now there are "out's." You could use an external drive or array of drives via firewire or USB to backup the entire LVM, replace the hardware, and build a new LVM around the new hardware, move the content back off the external drive, and re-mount the drive at the appropriate mount point.

Another option is to use a USB to IDE adapter to attach the drive you are migrating off of through a USB connection, then pvmove the content from that drive to the new hardware, extend it, etc. However I've had some mixed results with some of those adapters. I'm inclinded to sugest using them as a last resort.

All that said, Start by getting the hardware that makes sense for you to get, and work out what strategy you want to use to deal with migrating to new resources if that is something that will come up.

Beans

Fantastic tutorial. Just got this working here
    I tihnk there's a typo at 12 though:
    fix sda3 with fdisk.
    Code:

fdisk /dev/sda

Should be fdisk /dev/sda3
    Otherwise you'll end up formatting the entire drive rather than partition 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast