Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having trouble with Zsnes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Anyone having trouble with Zsnes?

Hey, Zsnes wont run in Gusty for me. It opens as a black screen and than closes. It is version 1.5 (I got it from the package manager). I have the full text output, but it is huge, so I'll just put the end. Thanks in advance for any help!

"Aborted (core dumped)
    "
    I can put more of the output, just tell me and you will have it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Arrow Re: Anyone having trouble with Zsnes?

Yeah, ZSNES didn't work for me either when I tried to install it from the repositories, I had the exact same problem on Gutsy. The only way I could get it to work, was by going to the ZSNES homepage and get the .tar.bz2 from there and install from source. But it works great for me now.

Website can be found here: http://www.zsnes.com/
    Last edited by mister_k81; October 21st, 2007 at 02:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Anyone having trouble with Zsnes?

Does this thread help, kevindubrow? It helps to look for other threads on your problem before posting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Sorry, I did look for a thread, but found nothing like that. Also, that isnt my exact problem. Anyway, I am optimistic that acoustibop's way will fix my problem, but the problem is that I have no clue how to install ZSNES with the .tar.bz2 file. Any help? Thanks a lot for the replies!
    Last edited by kevindubrow; October 21st, 2007 at 06:14 AM.

Beans

zsnes (1.51 & previous releases) work fine and always have for me. the one from the gutsy repo actually works better in one way: the audio works as expected.
    i compile from svn & apparently with svn if one has an onboard sound card (chip) audio can be scratchy...
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... I haven't noticed any problems running it from source, sound and graphics all seem fine to me. Maybe installing it from the repo configured the sound differently for you though, disturbedite.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindubrow View Post
    Sorry, I did look for a thread, but found nothing like that. Also, that isnt my exact problem. Anyway, I am optimistic that acoustibop's way will fix my problem, but the problem is that I have no clue how to install ZSNES with the .tar.bz2 file. Any help? Thanks a lot for the replies!
    If you have to install from the .tar.bz2 file, here's some directions:

1. unzip zsnes_1_5.tar.bz2

2. open terminal and change directory to the "src" folder in the "zsnes_1_5" folder by typing:

desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop/zsnes_1_51/src (or whatever directory your zsnes_1_51 folder is in)

3. run the "configure" file in the "zsnes_1_51/src/" folder. You can do that by typing:

desktop:~/Desktop/zsnes_1_51/src$ ~/Desktop/zsnes_1_51/src/configure (or yet again, to where ever your zsnes file is located)

(note, that it may ask for a certain dependency when running the configure command... it did for me, I forget what the dependency was called, but I easily found it in the repositories.)

4. Next, in terminal type:

desktop:~$ make

5. when that is done, type:

desktop:~$ make install

And that should be it. It doesn't create a shortcut by making it from source, but you can just start Zsnes by opening the terminal and typing: "zsnes" (without the quotes)... or you can just make a launcher and put "zsnes" in the command line. There are also icons in the zsnes src folder that you can use.

I hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Anyone having trouble with Zsnes?

Quote Originally Posted by mister_k81 View Post
    Hmm... I haven't noticed any problems running it from source, sound and graphics all seem fine to me. Maybe installing it from the repo configured the sound differently for you though, disturbedite.

If you have to install from the .tar.bz2 file, here's some directions:

1. unzip zsnes_1_5.tar.bz2

2. open terminal and change directory to the "src" folder in the "zsnes_1_5" folder by typing:

desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop/zsnes_1_51/src (or whatever directory your zsnes_1_51 folder is in)

3. *snip*
    Good directions, I'd like to recommend variations from step 3 on.

This will gather the required dependencies to build zsnes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep zsnes
    sudo apt-get install libao-dev
    ./autogen.sh
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-libao --enable-release
    make
    sudo make install
    I just compiled zsnes an hour ago to get libao support, I don't think the one in the repositories uses it...

Best of luck.

P.S. If you have a dual core setup
    make -j2
    Will speed things up quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro

^ Those are much better directions .

I didn't know that you could gather dependencies like that. I'm still new to Linux and have only been using it for about a month, so there's a lot I don't know.

Also, I have to ask, whats the name of that rom? It doesn't look like Zelda 3: Link to the Past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey, no luck with those instructions, can I get some more help? Sorry if its a bother.

The first error came after the sudo apt-get build- dep zsnes:
    E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/medibuntu.sos-sts.com_repo_dists_feisty_free_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)

The next after the ./autogen.sh:
    Generating build information using aclocal and autoconf...
    ./autogen.sh: 6: aclocal: not found
    ./autogen.sh: 7: autoconf: not found

Another error within that same code:
    configure: error: You need NASM installed to compile ZSNES

Do any of these errors make any sense to you all? Thanks for all of the help!

-------------------------
    Oh and hey FranMichaels, which Zelda is that? I have never seen that one...and it is even more confusing that is is in super nintendo!
    Last edited by kevindubrow; October 21st, 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Beans

@kevindubrow:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nasm build-essential libsdl1.2-dev zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev
    There's an even EASIER way to install zsnes 1.51 in gutsy... *points at sig*

@FranMichaels - I like the Star Ocean pic, I wish I had more time to play that game...
    Last edited by dfreer; October 21st, 2007 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast