Thread: Proposition: Vectorised Menus

Beans

Question Proposition: Vectorised Menus

I'm quite satisfied with my newest upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon, however, when viewing it on quite a large screen I observed something that could be changed.

Instead of menus using raster graphics, as they currently do, perhaps vectorised menus could be implemented. Meaning simply, no matter the size of the menu/gui it would never lose its quality. And would perhaps be more efficient.

What do you think?

Beans

Re: Proposition: Vectorised Menus

If you are talking about the icons, that depends on the icon set you use. Otherwise, I don't know what you are talking about.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: Proposition: Vectorised Menus

Quote Originally Posted by Roo-kie View Post
    I'm quite satisfied with my newest upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon, however, when viewing it on quite a large screen I observed something that could be changed.

Instead of menus using raster graphics, as they currently do, perhaps vectorised menus could be implemented. Meaning simply, no matter the size of the menu/gui it would never lose its quality. And would perhaps be more efficient.

What do you think?
    Oh, you mean the Ubuntu "Application, Places, System" menu? Yeah that needs to be changed and some applet things (weather, etc) they don't get bigger and the notification update icon gets bigger but looks fuzzy.
    Last edited by adamorjames; October 20th, 2007 at 09:08 PM.
    iteam - A, soon to be, revolutionary Linux game.
    Go->Site Go->Thread

Linux user number 455707 http://counter.li.org/

Beans

Re: Proposition: Vectorised Menus

It's very easy to implement, since many icon themes have SVG versions of the icons, but there is a problem: in small sizes, the icons tend to look too blurry. The 16x16 icon size, for example, is not just a smaller version of the SVG, but is edited to have sharper edges and a thicker border.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.