Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else excited about Fluxbuntu 7.10?

Beans

Re: Anyone else excited about Fluxbuntu 7.10?

So, I guess there won't be a 8.04 release, but there will be a 8.10 fluxbuntu release (according to dev on irc).

Not sure when (if?) 7.10 will be released (with a livecd).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by w3stfa11 View Post
    So, I guess there won't be a 8.04 release, but there will be a 8.10 fluxbuntu release (according to dev on irc).

Not sure when (if?) 7.10 will be released (with a livecd).
    There may be a small amount of developers. This would make development slower. Also, (Fluxu,Xu,Ku)buntu, etc will NOT be LTS releases. This is for 2 reasons mainly.
    1. Canonical really only mainly supports Ubuntu, not the derivatives.
    2. This gives the other derivatives a time to improve, as they are somewhat not stable.

Beans

I'm really excited about this project. I'm looking for a lightweight distro with the power of Ubuntu's repositories (or Debian's). I may put this on my old pentium 3 computer. I'll also give MepisLite a try.
    Last edited by w3stfa11; April 4th, 2008 at 05:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

has anyone tried it on eeepc yet?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow. This false happiness is the true cause of your sorrows!

Beans

I'm really excited about this project. I'm looking for a lightweight distro with the power of Ubuntu's repositories (or Debian's). I may put this on my old pentium 3 computer. I'll also give MepisLite a try.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

(Not separate distro, mind you, and it does involve some work. )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Many people have been waiting for this for a LONG time, including me..... and have since moved on to other great (Lightweight) distros, of which there are many.

You could always try antiX, which is a Debian distro that uses Fluxbox. Lightweight, fast, solid and very usable "Straight Out Of The Box!"
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

I use fluxbuntu and like it. I love to play with fluxbox. Another light distro that i could recomend it Linux Mint XFCE. Its lightweight and comes ready out of the box with codecs, office, samba/windows network connection and a few other things. As well XFCE is somewhat easier to tinker with than flux for the users who like gui. I setup a Mint XFCE for some kids on a 900mghz with 256ram, 10g hd, and wow it surfs, plays divx movies, runs gimp, plays games and lot of other stuff they do like a champ.

All depends on the user i guess, fluxbuntu is a lot of fun for the hardcore user, but im not saying its not usable by the average user, fluxbox is very usable by any user. Mint XFCE just adds some more apps out of the box, and more gui setups and stuff.

Beans

i LOVED fluxbuntu but the updates seemed to break it....i also tried mint flux and it was terrible! it was just the xfce beta with flux...
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

right now look at my signature. That is what I'm using with Fluxbuntu and I'm very impressed! Most of the time, it hardly touches more than 100MB RAM. The only lag I get is using Flash in Swiftfox.

Other things like disabling the Flux boot splash, switched to Swiftfox web browser, and disabled IPv6 altogether. All said and done, its a great linux distro but it still needs some work like a LiveCD, cleanup of its menu, and some accessiblity functions for "disabled persons" (like a GUI mouse config).

Just take a look at my screen shot:

Beans

you could probably use less ram if you disabled more startup services
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast