Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locally Hosted Zimbabwe Mirror

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Locally Hosted Zimbabwe Mirror

I would like to believe once a locally hosted Zimbabwe mirror is setup we will have many Zim users switching to Ubuntu. There is a zw.archive.ubuntu.com repo but that is in South Africa and the connection is quite slow and it timeouts. With a local mirror, that will mean cheaper and faster downloads and I would switch most of my clients to Ubuntu just based on that fact.
    (K)ubuntu7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Locally Hosted Zimbabwe Mirror

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Yup, as mentioned in my mail to you previously, I fully agree this is something we need to do. Will keep everyone posted as and when progress is made.

As a matter of interest, when you talk about your clients, are you talking about clients on your local LAN? Or other clients outside your network? If on a LAN, there's always the possibility of setting up your own repository locally too. It doesn't necessarily have to be a full repo either - you could just update your own repo as and when updates/downloads are done from one machine. Just a thought.
    Powered by Linux
    ~~ and coffee ~~

Promoting Ubuntu in Zimbabwe: http://www.ubuntu.org.zw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How about we chat to local ISP's to see if they are willing to "sponser" a domain for the Ubuntu Zimbabwe Site as well as space for a local repo.

I know the repo might be a long shot but whats the worst they can say, if we show Ubuntu/Canonical that we are serious the might fund a PC for us to use for the local repo, the trick would be trying to find a suitable spot for it to be setup that has power backup as well as a decent connection to the web, obviously one of the ISP's would be the best best and who knows they might step up and surprise us...

Worth a shot I think

Come on Ubuntu Zim lets

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You will be surprised at the number of people using Ubuntu.

For some the word Linux just scares them but I think with enough awareness many will join the bandwagon.

Most people I am dealing with are on stand alone machines but if I can get the debs I can easily update their machines.

Long shot, maybe Mark S. can pull a trick or 2
    My fingers are crossed.
    (K)ubuntu7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all the input guys. Nice to see the forum liven up a little

Ok, this is where we stand at present:

We have agreed to follow HT's suggestion of using Yoafrica (if they are willing to provide free hosting). Since they're already hosting repo's for a couple of other distros (and we also found ISO's of Feisty and Fedora Core 7 on their ftp site) I think we stand a pretty good chance. In addition to this, we have been hugely impressed by the speed of their ftp site, which is a big bonus too. So, now that we know "where" we're trying to go, we're just trying to make it happen.

We have mailed Yoafrica (late yesterday afternoon) with an initial summary proposal, briefly outlining our request, and we just need to see if they'll bite.

Not sure what everybody else thinks, but this is my idea of the "big picture" (once we have free hosting organised):

1. The official domain for Zim will be www.ubuntu.org.zw
    2. This domain will host the "public" promotional/advertising web site (which we will have to create, of course. RS, will you be willing to do your thing with graphics?)
    3. From this web site, we should be able to offer local downloads of the latest Ubuntu release's iso.
    4. The repository would be accessible on a sub-domain; something like archive.ubuntu.org.zw.
    5. The site would also contain lists of other resources (both local and international) that are of interest to Ubuntu users - forums, mailing lists, irc channels, how-to's, etc. (As well as any other content we agree should be provided).

What do you guys think?