View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 5 of 176 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

My upgrade to Gutsy started out very well but midway my net connection got disconnected and had to start the partial upgrade process. Will this have any effect on the installation?

Desktop (2.40GHz, Intel865GBF 1GB RAM): Dual Boot - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope and Windows XP
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 17049

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

does not works with my ATI RADEON even with livecd F4 VGA function
    cd itself is good, i have tried to copy entire content to my HD and MD5 is good

i stay to windows

Beans

Foolishly, given the fact that I am not an experienced Linux usuer, Istarted the upgrade from my Feisty Fawn installation to Gutsy on the day it was released, and ran into trouble that I do not understand quite.

At the end (?) of the automatic upgrade, the system hung, and on reboot into Gutsy, screen resolutution was set to a default 800*600. I notice on the forum that a number of people have experienced the same problem and I dare say there will be a solution to this.

The other problem is a non-operative Terminal: when I start a new terminal windows, it is totally blank, no borders, no name, no prompt and no action. I have no idea how to solve this, so shall watch the forum to wait for other unfortunates who will doubtlessly experience the same problem and know more than me, and will be able to suggest the solution.

SOLVED the problem, by downloading and running ENVY which produced a new nvidia driver setup and made all behave as it should. Thanks for help!

System specs: AMD 4200+ Gigabyte GAM55Plus with 1 GB memory; nvidia Geforce 6100 display adapter
    Last edited by resac; October 20th, 2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: solved the problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I voted "upgrade with a few problems". Mostly it went flawlessly. I downloaded the upgrade .iso via Bittorrent, which took an hour, and burned a CD on my windows machine. Booted into my current Ubuntu version and stuck the CD in the drive. When the menu popped up I selected to upgrade the machine and then when asked also selected to proceed while downloading updates from the internet. The machine hung on fetching the files, I assume because of the server volume issues, so I quit the upgrade and tried again without fetching updates. The upgrade worked flawlessly on an oldish IBM T30 laptop. It gave me the resolution I was hoping for and connected via my ethernet to the Internet without any problems.

I voted "with some problems" because a) my machine will not enable any desktop effects and b) hibernation mode gets stuck in a loop - black screen, then it asks for a password and goes back into Gnome. I think both problems are a driver issue.

I have been using Ubuntu on and off for a year now, though I have probably only spent 30 - 60 minutes on the system in that time. So I'd consider myself an absolute newbie. I was thrilled with how easy the original install and the subsequent upgrade processes were, except perhaps the last few long nights spent downloading/upgrading from 6.06 to 6.10 to 7.04 in preparation for this release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Unfortunately I have to say the upgrade process was rubbish for me. I have 4 machines all with 7.04 on them. The upgrade worked perfectly on 1 of those 4 and failed miserably on the other 3.

Machine 1: Dell XPS Gen2 Laptop
    Upgrade failed at around 70% .. hardlocked the machine and rebooted to kernel panic. Still working on this box.

Machine 2 - 3: Both Dell desktops
    Upgrade failed to configure tzdata and all related files and dependencies. I was able to reboot and remove tzdata and reinstall it through apt-get and finish the upgrade process manually. Although this was a total pain.

Machine 4: Dell desktop (same as machine 3)
    Upgrade proceeded normally. Completed and rebooted. I should mention that this was a completely fresh 7.04 install with all updates applied.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My upgrade didnt even start. Update manager keeps freezing up and nothing happens...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I tried to update to 7.10 an on the second step where you fetch the files, it stops...=\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Desktop upgraded fine from Xubuntu 7.04 (originally installed from Live CD) to Xubuntu 7.10.
    Downloads were slow, but servers probably busy.
    All went well, no problems whatsoever.
    (And having Automatix installed wasn't a problem)

Started on my laptop this morning and a very different story indeed.
    Downloads very fast, but after update from Xubuntu 7.04 (originally installed from Alternate CD) to 7.10 applied, my user account was not allowed to switch the laptop off-please contact the administrator That's me! (or so I thought)
    New kernel won't load, won't sync, kernel panic.
    (No Automatix on the laptop.....)

Nevermind, currently downloading and burning a 7.10 Alternate CD for a clean install on the laptop.
    Hopefully that'll work OK.

EDIT Laptop is a PIII 500mhz 192mb RAM Toshiba Portege 3440CT, Desktop is a self built Core 2 Duo E6300, 1Gb RAM, AsRock ConRoe945G-DVI
    Last edited by gn2; October 19th, 2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Specs added

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

According to that non-scientific poll, only 20% of users had a problem-free experience. That, unfortunately, is a total failure.

I think I'll hold off on installing it.
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by inhabit View Post
    Command line upgrade seemed to go well, but now gnome-panel won't load [even for a fresh user account, not sure if other parts load either], and the kernel parameter vga=791 gives a blank screen while booting [without splash and quiet].
    Uh, that's because it should be vga=792

http://cro.alienpants.com/index.php/...y-compaq-f500/
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Page 5 of 176 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast