View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 15 of 176 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Got the live cd to boot, but could not install it. Installation gets stuck at 22% all the time. And when i used the check cd for errors option, it showed one error. I lost my previous ubuntu installation (7.04) as i had to do a fresh install cause of change in hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux rocks!

The only issue I had with the upgrade was the Medibuntu sources had changed. I removed the sources, performed the upgrade, found the correct location and everything works! I'm not sure I can find the changes in the O/S, but one major change is that flash works much, much faster in my browser of choice: Opera. I used to have problems and would launch Firefox when visiting Flash-heavy sites, but for some reason, Flash absolutely screams now in Opera on Gutsy!

In any case, no problems and one improvement so far, on hardware that is over 6 years old!

Awesome job guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Worked out of the box! I do have twin monitors and can easily get a twin head set working with about 2 or 3 clicks! Unfortunately My video card won't let me have that much desktop real estate AND compiz! Oh well. I can't seem to get my monitor on the digital connection to be the default but thaat's no real hardship... Great job Thanks. (The final candidate seems much more stable than the final release candidate was.) I'm loving my life!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It worked! I was complaining about the LiveCD bootin problems, but when I installed it, it automatically recognized my screen size and offered the Ati drivers!

I can't use fglrx, but this is an issue I had with Feisty too, looks like my Ati X800 is the problem =(. Compiz disabled, but everything else is nice.

Beans
    Hidden!

The upgrade worked for me without any problems at all. So I voted Upgrade - worked flawlessly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nothing but problems. I won't even go into them b/c Ubuntu has already wasted far too much of my time today.

Market share? Ubuntu made no friends, but *LOTS* of enemies, today at my company. In fact, it's goodbye to Ubuntu forever for several people I thought I might persuade otherwise.

Me? I've decided to buy Vista. (Yea, it was that bad.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I chose to do a fresh install onto a second hard disk rather than over-write my 7.04 installation. Whilst things were a bit slow as all the mirrors were being hammered by people like me who couldn't wait a couple more days, it all went well.

Only mistake I made was to leave the original hard disk drive connected whilst running the Install for the new disk. I wanted to copy over my documents, settings etc from old to new after the installation was done, and that worked ok. But the installer seemed to assume that the new disk didsn't need to be bootable, as there was already a bootable disk present. Not a problem till I removed the old disk today, and the system wouldn't boot! Had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to refer to correct drive number (hd0 not hd1) and ran a Grub utility I had on CD to make the new disk bootable. Everything lovely now.

Next time I install an OS to a new drive I will disconnect any other hard disks first.
    Tony
    --
    Linux Mint 14, Linux user 456436

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I upgraded two computers (1 server, 1 laptop) and both worked nearly flawlessly for me. Gutsy fixed two long-standing problems I had in Feisty: poor video resolution and no good codecs to play quicktime.

I had to reinstall hplip 2.7.10 (out today) to get my fax working again, but apart from that the upgrade was amazingly clean.

Beans

Fresh install on a laptop that had been running 7.04
    Screen stuck at a single resolution that is unusable.
    Firefox has no flash and the pluggin finder service locks up.
    Unable to steam .pls MP3
    I'm going back to 7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Gutsy on a Dell Inspiron 5150 + Broadcom...

Lots of problems. I did the recommended upgrade via the network. Well, it was on the first day of release, so I think the entire world was downloading the Gibbon. I have a medium-fast broadband connection, and it was crawling at sub-dialup speeds.

I had my Feisty fully up to date, but there was no "Version Upgrade" button in my kde or "Update Manager" in my gnome, as advertised. I have no idea why, and I got bored with trying to figure it out. So I just followed the command line instructions for the server upgrade. (sudo apt-get install update-manager-core, and sudo do-release-upgrade.) Possibly, that was stupid. But it trundled at, as I say, slow dialup speed half the day and all of the night, and when I woke up in the morning I had to answer a few questions to get the upgrade to finish.

It booted fine. It preserved my old settings for Firefox, my desktop, and so on. I was quite pleased. I like OO 2.3. I like the new icons and such.

I normally use kde. In gnome the background has become very dark, so I wanted to change it. The desktop configuration didn't work at all. The window came up, but none of the buttons (except "close," thankfully) were active.

My big interest in Gutsy was to see if it made connecting to Bluetooth devices and my wireless easier. I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a Broadcom 4309 (ver 3) chip. As far as I can tell, this was the only one ever made, and it never works with anything. Despite a couple of hours spent trying to install ndiswrapper without my beloved Automatix, I got nowhere. And who knows what I broke in the process. The other thing that amazes me is the WEP-only default encryption. I mean, I have WPA on my Feisty, for Pete's sake.

The Bluetooth didn't work by itself. I'll try some troubleshooting tomorrow, but my track record so far has not been good. (I'm trying to establish as connection to a treo 650. I also have a hack on it to turn on bluetooth DUN.)

So my overall impression is that the Gibbon would be a great companion if it would come out of the trees. I'm waiting for a supply of bananas to use as bribes.

No, seriously. It would help to have the command easily available that one needs to fix broken installs. It was sudo dpkg something, or sudo something something. You know the one I mean? Because for all I know, there's just something incomplete about my install that needs to be fixed.

Page 15 of 176 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast