View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 25 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

When I attempted an ungrade from Fawn to Feisty (bear in mind this is the 3rd distro upgrade w/o reformatting), it was ugly and all kinds of things were wrong (/home wouldn't mount, nvidia restricted wouldn't "stick", various other niggly things). I decided to reformat the OS disk and maintain my home directory partition today, and everything seems just fine. I'm very pleased with the fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The Upgrade seemed to go fine but now when I boot up I get an :internal error" that "HAL" failed to initialize. I don;t know what HAL is.

Also I have to go into Network Settings to connect to the internet.

Other than that everything seems to have come through fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by alzie View Post
    The Upgrade seemed to go fine but now when I boot up I get an :internal error" that "HAL" failed to initialize. I don;t know what HAL is.

Also I have to go into Network Settings to connect to the internet.

Other than that everything seems to have come through fine.
    I was getting that to. For me it had to do with my printer. For some reason I need to have my printer (A USB Lexmark X75 All In One,) on when I boot up Ubuntu. I guess it is looking for a printer and when it can't find one that error comes up.

Beans

Upgraded Ubuntu midnight on the 18th, went flawlessly, took a squeak over an hour to complete.

Only issues im having are with recordmydesktop and WoW within wine ( not Ubuntu's fault )

EDIT: I forgot, the Vol on my KB is controlling my mic now for some reason, searching for a fix

Awesome Distro guys, keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Little vid of my desktop, choppy in vid, but its recordmydesktops fault

HERE
    Last edited by Popple2000; October 20th, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

All Gutsy users (especially upgraders from earlier distro) should read the Gutsy release notes for issues that may require attention:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710
    Building on Ubuntu using [pbuilder]
    Other resources [Upgrading from CVS, Gaim2, Anjuta, Rhythmbox]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Upgraded from Feisty, (upgrade went flawlessy) and thought the graphics card problem in earlier versions to be a thing of the past, but no. It couldn't detect my NVIDIA 8600 GT. The upgrade rewrote my carefully tailored xorg.conf and now it gives me a error message. Do I have to go through the same hassle as in Feisty and remove all graphics drivers from Synaptic and rewrite xorg manually ? Other than that I think Ubuntu's the best linux distribution ! (spoken from a Windows veteran)

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installing 7.10 on third SATA drive in a 64-bit dual core system. The GRUB seems to be screwing up. On the drive is a 450GB NTFS partition. I am putting the Ubuntu root and swap partitions in the remaining 50GB. If I tell the installer not to install the boot loader, the installation proceeds, but then I cannot boot into Ubuntu even if I pick the third drive from the boot list (F8 on my ASUS mobo.) If allow the boot loader to install, then the installation fails with a read/write error. I do not want GRUB on my Windows XP64 drive, but on the third drive. I have tried directing GRUB to install on hd2, sdc, /dev/sdc, /scsi2, and have even allowed it to install on the default hd0, which made me nervous. In each instance, the installation fails with a read/write error. I have had a previous instance of Ubuntu installed in this space when I was running the first two SATA drives as RAID and that was a nightmare installation, believe me. Ubuntu does not like other operating systems in a RAID when it tries to install the boot loader to only one of the RAID disks. I had to unplug both RAID disks and just have the third SATA running during the installation. I would hate to have to go through that mess as I have to move my heavy server case to open it and unplug SATA 0 and 1. That kind of hardware hacking should not be necessary with a sophisticated operating system. What is the trick to getting Ubuntu to install with Grub on a third SATA drive?

Beans

Re: Upgrade Hangs

Hi,

My upgrade to Gutsy from Feisty AMD64 was progressing well. After many hours of downloads and installation work however the process has hung up, the message showing for over an hour is

Configuring xvnc4viewer
    About 27 minutes remaining
    Image attached.

After a long wait, I did restart as I did not see any other solution.
    Ubuntu did restart but it only got to a blank yellow screen with a mouse pointer over it.
    Can't do anything here.

Any suggestions?

Please help.

thanks,
    harshad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

As I posted elsewhere, I did a 7.10 clean CD install over 7.04. Console ping and ftp worked ok but Firefox and Evolution didn't connect to the servers (two installs). Reverted to 7.04 FF.

Beans

Installation was 100% ok and fast... (AMD 64bit). But then, when I'm using my PC for sometime it totally freezes! With no reason. Tried and re-installed it but the outcome always is the same.... Any ideas? Can it be the NVIDIA driver that freezes my machine?? Im a bit disappointed.. I had Edgy for a long time in the same machine, with no problems at all and I was waiting for Gutsy with high expectations......

Page 25 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast