View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 34 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

HP zd7000 series laptop (zd7102us) with NVidia GeforceGO video and Broadcom 4306 Wireless.

Install went fine. Compiz works pretty well, aside from a few graphical glitches on some transitions (which disappear after the effect ends).

Wireless did not appear to work right out of the box, so I tried a few things and finally managed to see that the LED doesn't light up when the device is recognized - it only lights when the device is transmitting/receiving. So, it may have worked earlier, I don't know. I used the easy-script for BCM43xx wireless (a sticky in the wireless section) and after activating it, it's working properly, even through a reboot.

I'm too "scared" to re-enable the default Ubuntu restricted driver, since this is all working right now. Maybe I'll try it later.

So, everything looks to be good now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My upgrade from Feisty went generally well, with one (and only one) issue (which I haven't solved yet).

I was using the proprietary Nvidia driver (nvidia-glx from the repos) in Feisty, it worked great. IIRC all I had to do was install the package and update my xorg.conf.

I have a Geforce 4 Ti 4800 (AGP).

Having less luck so far in Gutsy with this. If I enable the driver from the restricted drivers manager, x just shows me a blank black screen (which I can kill just fine).

I tried commenting out the extra options, but it still wouldn't go, so I switched back to the nv driver. I also tried using the config section from my old (Feisty) xorg.conf, which I had backed up. No go.

I tried using nvidia-glx-new instead, but the restricted driver manager still wants to install nvidia-glx (which I believe is appropriate for the Geforce 4 series; the notes for the nvidia-glx-new driver say that you might need to use nvidia-glx for that particular line of cards).

Not sure what the issue is yet; I haven't put much work into it. It's kind of a bummer, since it worked so flawlessly in Feisty.

That's my only issue, though. Everything else worked just fine. Pidgin even grabbed the account settings and such from the GAIM 2 Beta I had been using in Feisty.
    Last edited by irish_flu; October 21st, 2007 at 04:54 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

My 7.04 -> 7.10 server upgrade ended with this. And yes, I did use the official method of upgrade.

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-server
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    rkhunter

Could not install the upgrades
    The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a).

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
    E:Sub-process /tmp/tmpRJVj2w/backports/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Setting up rkhunter (1.3.0-1) ...
    Updating the file properties database:
    Default logfile will be used (/var/log/rkhunter.log).
    The SCRIPTDIR configuration option has not been set by the installer.
    dpkg: error processing rkhunter (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    rkhunter

Could not install the upgrades
    The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a).

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
    installArchives() failed
    Setting up rkhunter (1.3.0-1) ...
    Updating the file properties database:
    Default logfile will be used (/var/log/rkhunter.log).
    The SCRIPTDIR configuration option has not been set by the installer.
    dpkg: error processing rkhunter (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    rkhunter

Beans

Fresh Install. The OS works "flawlessly" with some minor issues that don't really affect functionality. My only real gripe is the increased boot time for the OS (it takes like 2 whole minutes to get to the log in screen while Feisty always took less than 40sec.).

My graphics are really pale now (like wayyyy to much gamma - though that is not the problem) using the ati driver. I'm using vesa now which sucks.
    -- quixotic-cynic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wouldn't boot after upgrade from Feisty. Got through Ubuntu splash screen and progress bar, and then hung with monitor going into standby and floppy drive activity light on continuously. Rebooted in recovery mode and it hung with indication "/dsdt.aml not found in initramfs." Running Asus P4C800 Deluxe (i875P chipset), 1gB RAM, P4 2.8C cpu, ATI AIW 9700 Pro, Samsung 1280x1024 LCD monitor. Was using Beryl with Feisty. Restored Feisty image and gave up on Gusty for now.

Beans

I installed Gutsy on HP DC7800 and faced no problem during installation. However, the sound card (as always for HP computers) did not work initially. After disabling "Enable software sound mixing (ESD)" from Sound Preferences, I got sound from the front earphone jack. Could not get sound from the internal speeker, yet. Still, it is enough for me at the moment.

Other than that, no real problem, graphic card works without problem.
    I really liked gutsy, especially "Scale" plugin of compiz rocks.

Murat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The upgrade process was fine, it takes about 5 hours. The first thing I notice in the upgrade process was the notification window what shows the packages that will be uninstalled: My nvidia-glx-new package will be removed (in certain way i was not very surprised, because I install it using Envy). After that I get surprised when realize that Gutsy includes the new version of TVTime (hurray!) and other very nice packages like Audacious. After restarting the system I proceed to activate my compiz-fusion (that was running fine in Feisty), but oh-surprise! It doesn't work! (damn it!). My first step was to install the nvidia drivers using Envy, but I realize that my Envy version will not run in 7.10, so I proceed to visit Alberto Millone's site to download the last version of Envy (thanks Alberto!) It's good to know that we have the community's support when there are troubles and the quick response they provide.
    Once Nvidia's drivers was working, the next step it's to fire up Compiz, but still no luck, so I decide to purge all compiz related packages and (this is very important) the config files in ~/.config/compiz* and ~/.compiz. In addition, the Nvidia cards owners must setup the xorg.conf file correctly in order to get compiz working. You have to check that your xorg.conf file contains this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "nVidia Corporation GeForce 6200 A-LE"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "Allow GLXWithCompostite"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    EndSection
    Well, after that and restarting the computer, everything was running fine, and really worth it! I realize that even Compiz in KDE, the system have a very good response. I recommend upgrade to 7.10, it runs smoother than 7.04.
    Keep the good work guys!

Beans

every time I tried to upgrade I get
    "Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...rce/Sources.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)"
    any ideas other than wait a week???

Beans

I upgraded from Feisty Dawn and once in a while some package or other wouldn't install or wouldn't configure, the end result is, after the upgrade, "Gutsy" will not boot - AT ALL!! Multiple error messages and the boot process just stops.

If this had happened to ******* I would know what to do, but since I am a total Linux noob, I am lost. Fortunately, my emails are backed up to a Windows NTFS partition, as is my pictures and music, etc. I could just delete the partitions and start over again with a clean install, but I would really hate to do this!

Short of this drastic step, is there anything I can do?

Page 34 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast