View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 36 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I was already running the Gutsy testing version, but still got a note telling I could update. The update itself worked flawlessly, but also installed a lot of programs that are default in Gutsy, but I didn't want. Perhaps this is intentional, but I have already chosen a set of programmes I want to use myself, and I'm not waiting for additional programmes. Maybe next time add an option to ask what programmes the user wants to install when upgrading? It could be combined with a dialogue that shows what the new features of (K)ubuntu are (like the announcement on the website), with checkboxes next to them to allow the user to select the features he / she wants to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I was completely new to Linux a month ago. In that time, i've learned how to navigate using terminal commands, and some of the likely causes of problems when stuff goes wrong. I was wary of upgrading to Gutsy 'cause... well, Feisty was working so d@mn well. I guess i'm ballsy, so when I initially installed Feisty, I did no backup, no preparation for things going wrong - to be honest, i'm not even sure I had a kosher XP disc to hand at the time...

Upgrading to Gutsy has been lovely. I did however have some issues, that, although they were completely down to my *ahem* eagerness, might befall some other newer users.

Repositories. I don't know the ins and outs of them, but they were what prevented my upgrade from going ahead. A quick edit of my repos list was all it needed. I only had a couple of repos in my list - I wonder what it did to the people who had a massive (silly) repos list.

Also... what the hell happened to the Ubuntu Studio Theme that took me like an hour to install the first time in Feisty? I just hang around here, so I don't know if something's happened with the Studio Devs/Artists, but the new look is AWFUL. New boot splash actually looks home-made (i'm sure most of the art-work IS home-made, but you know), and the 'glossless' Gutsy Studio theme isn't a patch on Feisty's Studio theme. I'm glad they have at least put the old theme on the site to download (and i've since done that).

Loving Linux, have recommended to everyone I know, and can't wait 'till I feel comfortable enough to finally delete my XP partition.

Soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Worked almost flawlessly, had a problem with the tzdata package which broke dependencies (already fixed), the only thing that annoys me is that the upgrade process didn't properly finish, so I have a lot of stuff under the "Other" menu that I didn't have before and I don't know if some other tasks were left undone...

Did this happen to anyone? Anyway to fix it?
    still browsing through the forum on this issue...

Beans

This is for a Gateway laptop:

When the upgrade option failed for the tenth time, I decided to download the image and go with that.

The first 3 images I downloaded had bad hashes! That was a drag, as each download took hours and hours.

I finally got the correct hash from the Mexico download site (the US ones did not work -- at least the ones I tried.)

So... the live CD with the correct hash actually started to install but froze at the detecting kernal moment -- usually at 52% -- sometimes at 60 %. I tried this disk over and over.

Finally I downloaded the alternate version so I could do the text install, hoping this would work.

The image was good.

The install went well. IT SEEMED.

When I was asked to restart, I could see the login screen and entered the correct info.

Then the screen started to flash, as though the system were looking for drivers or something... well... it went black and never came back.

I don't know what to do.

It has been 48 hours of trying to intall 7.10 and now I have a laptop that has Gutsy on it but somehow I cannot see the desktop (or anything) after I log in.

Advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Should I go back to Feisty?

Help.

Beans

the upgrade took forever but everything worked when it was done with 2 minor issues.
    1 I had to reinstall the nVidia driver, I was expecting that.
    2 I needed to reconfigure CUPS, That was no major deal.

Great job guys it was better then upgrades I've done in the past with other distros.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Right, I gave up on upgrading since that just did not want to work, and did a fresh install. Everything is working very nicely, the one thing I noticed so far is that the fan is nice and quiet even without using the CPU throttling monitor (which I had to do in 7.04).
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Did a fresh install on a blank hard drive and then transfered my data. Install went flawless and everything was easy to customize. A++ experience for me.
    Ubuntu User # 11197 * Linux User # 439846

Beans

Yikes! 40% have errors they haven't been able to solve so far.

So it isn't so!

Beans

I installed and everything worked out of the box on my Dell Inspiron 9400
    But I had some difficulties customizing and tweaking the thing. I had the resolution Problem and still get a flickering once in a while. Using my Second screen was not as easy as I hoped it would be, so I use only one until I have the time. It's ok I guess
    Friend of mine had a rather bad start with Ubuntu. No sound on his Laptop, hope I can help him fix that...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Upgrading was easy, However, it created 2 problems for me...

1.) VMware - workstation had to be re-compiled to run again... That took about 5 minutes to fix...

2.) Multimedia - packages where removed, So now I have to download and configure them to play DVD's again...

I would have bet money that I would have to re-configure my VMware workstation, but I was surprised by the multimedia configuration...

In either case, I believe that this operating system is going to be the best hands down... And would never stop using...

Page 36 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast