View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The purpose of this thread is to share your experience installing/upgrading gutsy.

Did it worked flawlessly ?
    Did you got problems ?
    Did you manage to solve them ?
    if yes how ?

Feel free to post your experience here and think to explain how you solved the problems you got, it might help other users in your case.

Thank you for contributing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Updated through Ubuntu and (after a 13-14 hour process) I rebooted to a new, working version. Yay!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I voted "Upgrade worked flawlessly". I did have to install the restricted nvidia driver, and activate the 3D stuff, but I consider this an 'extra', as the system works ok without it, so I do not count them as issues that 'need' resolving.
    The last great frontier is In Your Mind!

Beans

I just voted Install - Worked but had a few things to solve. Under your definition (which is fair) I'd have to say that my install worked flawlessly.

I couldn't install from the live cd without going to the install with driver update option. I don't have a driver update cd but I found it was the only way to install ubuntu. I didn't insert a driver or other cd when asked I just pressed enter and it carried onto the install page. Everything installed ok... I presume

I downloaded the live CD from a link on this site. I did this because I updated with the update manager , I was using 6.10 I think, but I got a blue screen on my lcd. I presumed the install has messed up, I have read some advise to do a clean install rather than update, but later I found out it is a boot fault with the splash screen. I lost a hard drive in the process, re installing back to 6.10 etc... not very happy as its a major balls up in my book.

Beans

Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyes View Post
    Where's the upgrade failed or didn't even get started option. I tried to upgrade through the update manager but the servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.
    The upgrade I tried yesterday was extremely slow, I'll try later on today or tomorrow when the servers are less loaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What do you expect, with probably 60% of the ubuntu population trying to update all at the same time.

I'm glad to say that the upgrade only took me six or seven hours, but it worked flawlessly. Even kept all of my compiz/emerald themes and settings.

I did have to reinstall emerald, but that was the only problem.

Have not come across any errors at all yet. I'm very happy with the ubuntu devs.
    Ubuntu User Number #18102

Beans

I was going to suggest a solution: Why not use the CD image for upgrades?

Everyone can torrent the CD image, server capacity is not a problem there. At the same time, the CD image is guaranteed to contain all files that need upgrading. So why not give the update manager an option to upgrade from the 7.10 CD or CD image instead of over the servers? All it would need would be a map on where to find all the little bits and pieces...

I did a clean fresh install after the update manager told me it would be 14 hours to finish... it was a pain but better than wait 14 hours...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to upgrade right now. I wanted to have a look at the forums in order to know some other's experience before doing it.

Forum staff should encourage people with positive upgrades experience to write on the forum, since I assume only people with bad experiences write posts looking for help and this gives the upgrade a bad impression.

Since dapper, I had overall positive upgrades with only minor problems.
    Last edited by zasf; October 19th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast