View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 9 of 176 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now but haven't got into the nuts and bolts of it yet.

I'm running Ubuntu on an dual CPU board with a couple of 600MHz Pentium and 1Gig of RAM and with a possibly similar vintage NVIDIA graphics card with an 80Gig Seagate HDD and an LG DVD Burner

My 7.04 install was working quite nicely and I'd even got it to play commercial DVDs quite OK (and was rather proud of myself for that).

Unfortunately 7.10 only recognizes CPU1 which is slowing things down a bit and, amongst other things DVDs now play jerkily and with two adjacent vertical blue bars on the right hand side of the picture with both blue bars having feathered edges on the right hand side.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can get 7.10 to recognize CPU2 as I suspect this is the root (pun intended) of my problems?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Peter
    The partial victory will be when Redmond makes Linux versions of their software and the full victory will be when Redmond goes open source!

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Without Safe Mode, the screen simply goes black ... I'm going to keep looking for other solutions.
    Same problem. The black-screen is a major downer and so far no single solution seems to be working for everyone. I'll have to throw in the towel and go back to Feisty if no solution is forthcoming. I'm totally bummed over this... Wanting Gutsy pretty damn bad.

Home-built machine: AMD-64 4200+ X2, nVidia 8800 GTS and 2GB of Corsair RAM all hitched to an Asus A8N-SLI mobo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My dual screen setup is completely screwed and this bullet proof X is not working for me, more like against me.
    Also my wireless is manually up only. ndiswrapper just doesnt load automatically anymore.

i'll give it some more hours of dedication before going back to feisty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

X not working with Ati X1300

I just upgraded to Gutsy. Took a looooong time I guess everybody is upgrading now .
    Anyway after the upgrade I can only run X in 800x600. I tried running the config tool but whatever I change I always end up in 800x600

BTW: when I click on 'test' to test the new mode I select, afterwards the configuration simply closes. Annoying

Beans

Re: X not working with Ati X1300

Quote Originally Posted by systemgod View Post
    I just upgraded to Gutsy. Took a looooong time I guess everybody is upgrading now .
    Anyway after the upgrade I can only run X in 800x600. I tried running the config tool but whatever I change I always end up in 800x600

BTW: when I click on 'test' to test the new mode I select, afterwards the configuration simply closes. Annoying
    I experienced this too. The way I got back to something better was to boot up a different, older kernel. I haven't booted back up into the latest kernel yet, but I will try that tonight when I get home and see if what I have working in an older kernel still works in the newer one. Its still not perfect for me yet, as I still have to configure my dual monitors.

Try the older kernel, it helped me get something working.

Beans

Toshiba Satellite Pro with 512MB RAM and external monitor. Gutsy beta failed to load - started to but screens went garbled - various colored splodges. Release candidate loaded and installed - and works. Now full release behaves exactly as the beta. Selecting safe graphics does not help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi all!

I have just upgraded from FF to GG and I am a bit dissapointed.

First, I have been happily using FF with beryl and after upgrading it to GG, X server failed to start (I only got black screen, the thing everyone here is talking about ). I corrected this easily - entered recovery mode, typed in
    Code:
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and fixed it.

Then, there is a problem with Kopete - when I try to connect to MSN account, it crashes. Every other protocol that I tried (ICQ, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC) worked, but MSN fails. As I wanted to make sure that this isn't just my imagination, I installed GG cleanly on a brand new toshiba Satellite Pro L40 and the problem is still there - Kopete definitely crashes when trying to connect with MSN. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, Beryl was removed, and I installed compiz-fusion. It works faster then beryl, and therefore, am I pleased

BTW, It seems that there is a bug with Intel HDA sound. When I installed GG on a new toshiba, i got only right channel sound. When I try to modify the volume - the sound stopps. Then, the only thing that helps is hard-restart. I yet have to solve this glitch... Does anyone have any idea how?

I tried using ALSA and OSS, but the effect is pretty much the same.
    Last edited by elfuego; October 19th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I downloaded the ISO for intel 386 via a torrent last night in about 20 minutes. I had previously had the Feisty AMD64 build, but a few weeks ago it blew up with kernal panics unable to mount the root volume. I figured I had nothing real valuable on the partition, so I'd install over it (and going with the less problematical version this time, the 64-bit "experience" wasn't worth the hassle).

Writing the ISO via Nero in XP was no problem and then the install happened. I wonder if I chose the correct option here in that I chose the Guided, use the second partition. I feel in retrospect I probably should have done a manual one to ensure I overwrote my old install and don't have it alongside it.

The install took a while, maybe 30ish minutes, and recognized my single user account from Fiesty, which I chose to import and then rebooted w/o the CD in.

X started up fine on one of my two matching 17" flat panels (I had no end of difficulty with this in Feisty and was looking forward to the new control panels), I got the restricted driver heads-up for my Nvidia card. It told me to click to enable. I did and X became unresponsive.

After about 12 minutes I realized it wasn't delayed, but dead. Luckily CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE was able to restart X just fine and then I was able to install the Nvidia driver. The repos were very very slow, but I expected as much. The Nvidia driver went in cleanly and restarted X again.

On to the monitors! I fired up the control panel for the monitors. While it seemed straight forward I had to try about 6 combinations before I got it to bring up the monitors in the correct resolution and arrangement. But now it works every time. YAY GUTSY!

Now that I had the correct video driver and monitors I didn't have my second sceen blinking crap at me, so I could actually pay attention without worrying about slipping into a convulsion.

It didn't seem to have imported any of my old documents, but all I found was my bookmarks and my Pidgin account info (wahoo!). I suppose that's good for a start. It also auto-mounted my NTFS drive, so I was able to access my MP3s... so time to fire up those so I could rock out while I checked out the new stuff.

Again, the restricted driver manager jumped in and guided me to download and install the correct packages. Slow, due to the repos' getting creamed, but it all came down and was successfully installed.

So far, so good - but that's when my dog summoned me downstairs (she's recovering from surgery and can't mount the stairs) to watch NCAA College Football with her.

Tonight I tackle:
    - Web Browser (Flash, Adblock etc)
    - OpenRPG (didn't see it in the repos, haven't tried apt-get yet. Hope there's no problems...)
    - Desktop effects (not required, but I was a fan of the "cube" and edge flipping of workspaces)
    - Seeing if I can find my old docs from my Fiesty install (and making sure I don't have bogus partitions to clean up)

Beans

I just upgraded after going into admin>sources>other and figuring out the fastest server to download from. It took about an hour to download and install the whole thing. The only problem I'm having is the font in firefox and thunderbird is now terrible. And I can't use the special effects because of my nvidia graphics card. Firefox goes black when I turn on Normal Visual Display. Other than that this is the smoothest upgrade I've ever done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I for once was impatient and downloaded Gutsy about a week ago, and ran the live cd, all worked ok, so last night I installed it on a seperate partition all is working fine I've even got compiz working, which was a bit touchy before! I thought I'd do it this way so if it did break I wouldn't loss anything and could always delete the partition without the worry of lossing things!

I've still got Feisty installed, I'll see how things go with Gutsy, give it a month or so and I'll probably upgrade my other partition.

Page 9 of 176 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast