View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 66 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

On three machines...no problems, restricted driver install, Automatix for the codecs sweet
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans

Dell Inspiron 9400 Ubuntu "Gutsy" 7.10 Install -

This is also my Windows machine so I just bought another disk drive and started from scratch with the Desktop CD. Although the machine has wi-fi I have a hard cable so don't know if wi-fi works or not. The basic install went OK or at least good enough that I got something that worked to the point I could deal with it. I only had a couple of problems to deal with:

- Doesn't run the Compiz Fusion - The machine has builtin ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 controller and this seems to be disabled on purpose. Bummer. If I'm wrong on this somebody say something.

- The resolution seemed to only be 1600x1200. Period. No other choices. The machine is using the "fglxr" proprietary driver (non-restricted comes up VESA. Ugh). The screen on this machine is 1920x1200. I paid a lot for those pixels. I wanted them. The GUI utilities said that the monitor selected was "Plug 'n' Play". Other things wouldn't select. In /etc/X11/xorg.conf there was only one Modes setting and that was "1600x1200". I simply changed that to "1920x1200" and all of a sudden I had lots of choices up to and including the desired "1920x1200". I'm not sure why that simple edit opened up all these other choices. I feel I just got lucky. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me.

- I have a Logitech "Bluetooth Travel Mouse" model M-RBB93 that I like to use with the laptop. The Bluetooth adapter on the laptop seemed to come up OK but it just didn't work. I tried a number of things listed on the forums but I think they are more confusing than helpful. I found the documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothMouse
    and it worked great, including surviving reboots and power cycles on the mouse. Basically you need to make sure HIDD_ENABLED=1 in /etc/default/bluetooth. I do wonder why this isn't set this way by default if a bluetooth interface is found and enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

installed on two PCs and had maaaaaaaajor problems with both!

Some kind of GRUB problem with one PC (as yet unsolved) has stopped windows booting
    (It just says 'starting up...' forever
    ubuntu works on this PC though - gnome is beautiful.

the PC i'm on now had a copy-file error,
    so i'm on the livecd trying to download+burn the alternate CD :S erk

i'll figure it out soon enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This whole experience has been very strange. After looking at the many messages in this thread, I am amazed that there are only extremes, but no middle ground. All of the posts are either "worst experience I've ever had" or "completely painless" which makes me really wonder. My experience was bad (ie, it took over 16 hours) and good (nothing yet appears to be broken or re-set) so I am not sure how to evaluate the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10.

I think I should stick to my original guns and not update ANY OS until at least 6 mos. after its release. Any thoughts?

P.S. Make that 18 months for any Windows-based OS.
    Last edited by PhotoJoe; October 27th, 2007 at 04:45 AM.
    The beauty lies in the walking; we are betrayed by destinations.
    Gwyn Thomas

Beans

My impression of 7.10 is definitely mixed to unsatisfactory. Except for a brief tryout of warty(?) this is my first ubuntu install.

Installation was painless and didn't really take very long compared to some other os installations. Everything on my Dell inspiron 8200 was recognized and automatically configured.

Troubleshooting has not been painless. The installation all works except for unacceptably slow internet browsing. I've attempted every "fix" proposed on the neworking forum to no avail. The teaser is that the only website to work, Mozilla, is blazing fast. At least for my installation dns does not appear to be an issue. Entering either ip or domain name results in almost instantaneous connection, followed by prolonged "waiting for google.com.." etc.

The bottom line for my experience is that I've unsuccesfully messed around with 7.10 longer than it took me to do a full OpenBSD/KDE install. One that you could actually browse with.

I'm not giving up. 7.04 is a third of the way through a download. Maybe it will work satisfactorily.

I think that PhotoJoe is right, it might save time to wait 6 months before installing a new os version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had tried to use Feisty (Kubuntu) Before on my PC (Intel Pentium III 1.13 Ghz, 256 SD RAM, 60+40GB HDD, I know it is ancient... )

everything went fine cept for the net. My ethernet card was a B***** to get to work. The SIlan Sc92031 (will never forget the time I had). So even after nidswrapper I had frequent disconnections.

Now, when I tread that the kernel was upgraded to finally suppport my ethr card, I gave gutsy a try. The network manager doesn't detect anything (or atleast it says so). i went to manual config and gave in my details (chose static IP). Did
    Code:
    pppoeconf
    to setup my broadband.

Now everything works fine (re:broadband). But network manager still shows no network connection. Weird huh? My broadband is full on.

Other than thati had some trouble getting my mp3's to play. All those codecs here and there. Finally totem automatically downloaded some working ones. Didn't like totem though. So now m on Amarok.

Things are great on Gutsy Ubuntu. I love the customizability and security and stability.

I just need a few good professional sound related softwares and video convertion softwares t get me off Winblows completely. I need something as good as Gimp. Man I love it. Beats PS anytime. Much faster. Even on my ancient pc !!!

I LOVE UBUNTU!!! So much better than anything microsoft comes up with.

Beans

Done two clean installations. one update.

Non of the installations went smothe.

The upgraded broke the system, with a little help from myself. (/boot a 134 MB partition was not able to make rom for the new kernel, so the update quited, so i tyred to free up some space by running some apt-get clean something command, and then when that did not work to delete some files)

On the desktop I got some complaints about "120 00921 hda I/O buffer waiting for DMA Logic 1" many lines similar to that one. But after the install the system works, even the nvidia driver.

I took the ubuntu 7.10 to a friend to spread some ubuntu! and that was rather embarrassing. Some minutes with this buffer I/O someting messages pupping up. Then the install goes fine. But NVIDIA drivers wont WORK. I tried reinstalling both the nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new. I also tried for amd and 386 versjon.

Also on my first installation on my friends computer support for ntfs did not auto mount. Had to run force mount. This was a clean install. 30 min later i made a new clean install this time the ntfs worked. Same hardware, same software, different results (before the second install I had disabled a FD that had made some of these i/o buffer complaints)

I think 7.10 never should have been released in this form to the public, now my friend will never try linux again.

Ubuntu is no windows killer, it is a system killer if your are no expert

But it does look sexy and I dont give up.. I use ubuntu with cedega, no need anymore for XP.
    Last edited by uitra; October 27th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I tried upgrading by using the alternative CD. The upgrade worked fine until it was time to reboot...then things went to hell in a handbasket. I got only an error about my Broadcom driver repeated several times on the screen, and the booting wouldn't go further than that. I then used to the recovery mode to edit out the driver, and I didn't get anything at all on the screen. I gave up at that point and performed a clean install, after which things worked much better. I suspect the open-source drivers don't work very well with my wireless hardware, so I may have to resort to ndiswrapper and the Windows driver again. I've had a few other problems as well that have made me consider downgrading to Feisty.

Beans

I`ve tried this morning to download/upgrade to 7.10 but after a few minutes of "fetching files" the upgrade program came out with notification:

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...86/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

Does someone know what is the problem, and how it can be solved! I`am connected to internet through a proxy server, and my bandwidth is 256.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Upgrade went smoothly. But then it starts...
    Thrashing like hell. Very slow. I hate it.
    Removed tracker, as it was a cpu hog. Helped a bit.
    Started googling for fixes, no-one seems to have exactly what I have.
    GLXgears was 1000+ FPS in Fiesty, but I get 9 FPS with Gutsy. That's NINE. And GLXinfo reports DRI is ON!
    I try to fix xorg.conf, but something keeps interfering and rewriting the crap version. How do I turn that off?
    This is a heap of junk. How do I back it out?
    Ex-ubuntu user (Probably)

Page 66 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast