View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 149 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have an HP M7760 Personal Media PC with 2.16 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM and 2x250 GB drives. I also have a 300GB and a 750GB removeable Personal Media Drive (PMD). It is basically an internal/removeable USB drive. I use Vista Ultimate for work but with literally thousands of programs loaded it has gotten a bit finicky and noticeably slower. I use diskeeper to keep the disks defragged and I manage my registry but still have performance/boot/shut down issues.

So, I decided to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu GG. The HP has a 6GB partition on drive C: that housed the original Vista install product. I have since upgraded to Ultimate so I had this space that I could use. I cleaned it out and partitioned it into 2x3GB partitions - one for Linux and one for Linux swap. That was a real chore because the partition seems to be non-standard and I couldn't enlarge it, for example. those 2 partitions are sda2 and sda3. I changed the Windows MBR to allow boot to Linux and then the grub loader to allow a choice between Linux, restore, and memcheck. It works flawlessly and I have quickly grown to love Linux, the included and available apps, the price and best of all the cooperation among users, developers, and such.

I have 2 remianing issues for now. I have trouble with my Logitech Webcam Ultravision, particularly with aMSN. I do have it working with Luvcview finally but that was a chore also and it still doesn't work with aMSN.. The second issue is that my 300GB PMD isn't consistently recognised by Linux. (I have posted on the beginners forum for this issue)I have to remove it and reinsert it before it is recognised (most of the time). I also had to use the Windows "Remove Safely" routine that I admit to not being careful about. Vista doesn't seem to care as long as you aren't accessing the drive when you go to remove it.

So, that is my experience in a nutshell. If anyone has any thoughts about the wEBCAM OR THE pmd i AM ALL EARS.

tHANKS.

Beans

I've been looking for an alternative to the Vista Home Premium on one of my desktops, and was pleased to stumble across Ubuntu. Pretty much new to Linux and had never seen Ubuntu before.

I initially installed 7.10/32-bit/i386 on a separate 40G WD hard drive and it mostly went OK; I had to use the alternate(?) video driver. When configuring the wireless connection I had to change the security on the router to WEP from WPA-PSK for it to work. (I have one router plugged into a second)

When I saw that would work, I installed the 7.10/amd64 version, and that installed with no problem whatever. I didn't have to do anything except connect to the wireless network and set up the printer. Also, I connected to the second router, which has WPA-PSK security; didn't have to change it. Very Pleased!

Here are the specs for the machine:
    MSI MS-7094 motherboard/on-board sound
    Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
    2 Gb Ram
    NVIDIA 7600 GS AGP graphics card
    40 Gb HD
    no floppy
    Lite-On DVD
    Netgear WPN311 wireless PCI adaptor
    Proview 17" LCD
    Networked Canon PIXMA iP4000 printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have had a good experience with feisty and decided to try gutsy. I have a Toshiba A105; 2 G memory; 120 G HD. Gutsy installed with huge (90 pt) headers and the same for user name and password. I solved the header problem with playing with screen resolution. Most of the rest of Gutsy didn't work properly. I finally reformatted the HD and reinstalled XP and feisty. It installed right out of the box with wireless working and easily installed the DVD commercial player. I went into grub and set saveddefault to saved, only it didn't. I'm in a position where I have to use MS once in awhile. However, I would really like to ditch it on my 3 laptops and desktop.

That is my experience but after reformatting and installing feisty again I have a new problem. I can't download anything in the synaptic packages or add/remove area. I can connect through wireless and wire without a problem with firefox. I'm looking for a solution.

Thanks to all who have posted their advise on the forum. It has been very helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dual boot Acer Travelmate 803Lci laptop with XP and Gutsy Gibbon 7.10.
    Hard disk (40Gb default) had only a single partition with WinXP. Repartitioned drive using Norton Partition Magic 8.0. This was performed due to the arrangement of data on the drive as both Norton 360, the standard windows defrag tool and O&O defrag V4 were unable to move the offending data.
    PC connected to web via wired broadband connection.
    Installed Gutsy via CD. Manual partitioning was the only option available in order to keep Win XP on the drive. Had to remove partition created by Partition Magic and then repartition using Ubuntu built in
    partitioner. Created a 15Mb system (ext3) drive and 3Gb swap drive in space left by previously removed partition.
    Install went flawlessly. The display (ATI Radeon 9000 built-in) was set to 1400 x 1050 by install.
    Alerted that battery was faulty or old (old in my case, as original).
    No problems noted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thank goodness I'm not on my own. I was beginning to think I was intellectually challenged.

So approximately 33% of those of us who have Ubuntu by way of new installation or upgrade have significant problems. Must mean something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

dual boot done flawlessly!!

i did a dual boot of ubuntu with vista installed....works fine...both OS.
    this is how:
    > i have a toshiba laptop with only 60 gb hdd partitioned with 30gb, 1 gig ram and a dual core 1.86 Ghz processor

>downloaded the gutsy gibbon ....burnt it onto a cd....installed it...works fine no probs.

> at first i thought i lost vista coz at the last step of installation where it says migrate assistant, it did not mention that there is vista on the other partition(which i read in one of the how to's that it should mention)...but still i went ahead and voila!!! it did detect vista and normalcy was restored...so now working on ubuntu!!!

Last edited by sib13; February 2nd, 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: need to add more

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

new install on a Toshiba Satellite A100 custom. Everything worked on install except for sound and hibernate. Got sound to work by messing with the alsa-base file. Now I just need to figure out standby and hibernate.

I love the compiz-fusion interface BTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Installed on fujitsu laptop Amilo Li1705.Used alternative installation cd as I could not get the live cd to work.Once installed as again the widescreen was still not working I used sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to get the correct settings from the safe setting on grub menu.
    IAN

Beans

Am currently using 7.04 in a dual boot with XP without any problems (install went perfectly unlike some other distros I tried recently).

Wanted to upgrade to 7.10 until I saw this post!.

Two points:
    1. The poll would make more sense if it was separeted into two polls - new install and upgrade seperately so each added up to 100%. It would also allow users to vote in each case as they move from install to upgrade and theyby capture both experiences of an individual.

2. From the current results I can see that 70% of new installs and 70% of upgrades have issues. mmmmm perhaps the powers that be should reflect upon that.

I think I'll wait for Hardy Heron.
    Last edited by bikeman123; February 3rd, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Beans

I had problems with the live cd, it would freeze at "running local boot scripts", which is a problem that lots of people are having. I tried some fixes, nothing worked. Then I used the alternate cd, and it worked flawlessly:

Thanks everyone.

Page 149 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast