View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 86 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Installed Gutsy 64bit at last! It went beautifully, not a single problem. After all the horror stories I've been reading it's a huge relief =D>

Admittedly my hardware is very conservative:- nVidia 7300 GT & 17" LG crt monitor @ 1024x768 resolution. But not to experience even ONE of the glitches makes me wonder if some people are making basic mistakes:

1: are people verifying the installation media before trying an install?

2 : I was surprised to see that the screen resolution (when using the restricted nVidia driver) shows 1024x768 @ 51Hz. The monitor itself is reporting 68.6kHz @ 86Hz. Many people are reporting low screen refresh rates and perhaps it is just an illusion and not a bug.

Now to adjust the desktop effects. Compiz is making me feel sea-sick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My only gripe with the gutsy install CD is that it takes 30 to 40 to install on my computer when feisty took 10 to 15 minutes.

Beans

I just upgraded to Gutsy. Not a problem at all. Easier than ******* ever was. I'm thrilled. It even remembered all my old settings, wallpaper, screensaver, etc. Amazing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by tj.brewster View Post
    Got it installed by removing windows. Now I cant access the other ntfs drives (pic attached) What have I done wrong? I cant work as root either, during install I dont remember being asked for a root password, so I cant get into Root. Total NOOB needs help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDreamZ View Post
    For security the root account is disabled by default in Ubuntu. Use your normal account, open a terminal and type either:

sudo <command...>

or

sudo -i

For more info on sudo type

man sudo
    I don't think that the root account is "disabled", as you state.

I also noticed that I was not prompted during installation for a root password (see my earlier post in this thread).

My own account, set up when installing, was already a sudoer.

So I could easily set a new password for root like this:
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    and then become root like this:
    Code:
    su -
    So is every new user account by default in the sodoer list? I would have hoped not.

Maybe the first user account added during installation, but for other accounts added later, it should be a conscious choice to add a user to the sudoer list.

Beef.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

That GUI upgrade tool is a joke. I should have known better than to use it. Jesus what a nightmare. This wasn't ready for production, not by a long shot. Thing froze about 5 minutes into the install process after downloading. Reboot and X failed. Virtual terminal worked so trying to upgrade from terminal to see if I can salvage anything. I upgraded from xubuntu while in Gnome (I didn't have gnome-desktop installed, just gnome for some reason worked). Anyways. Upgrade to 7.05 from 6.10 was a nightmare too, I should have learned my lesson by now right? I have learned it now. From now on I'm doing clean installs, which means I wont be upgrading every six months, because I can't reconfigure and reinstall everything that damned often. My slackware system has no package management, and I have never had any problems with it on the scale of this.

I probably wouldn't be so pissed right now if the GUI didn't make it look like it was easy. You can't pull it off, you never have been, so be honest about it. Stop making shiny little tools with single buttons and no information.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Linoobius View Post
    I guess my biggest disappointment is the inferior sub-pixel font rendering. I was expecting a major improvement with Gutsy and maybe it's ignorance on my part but I'm not seeing it yet. MS's on screen font quality is still superior to Linux. This may be insignificant to most Linux users and it certainly doesn't dissuade me from using Linux but I think it is important if Linux aspires to usurp Microsoft or at least be considered a laudable desktop operating system among mainstream users.
    I believe that's a patent issue. The fonts used by Apple and Microsoft and Adobe has something to do with this are all non-free. There's much discussion of font issues in linux. It's not a technical issue, more of a legal one.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by s|k View Post
    I believe that's a patent issue. The fonts used by Apple and Microsoft and Adobe has something to do with this are all non-free. There's much discussion of font issues in linux. It's not a technical issue, more of a legal one.
    MS Fonts may used as long as the EULA is included.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You know what would be cool is if you could generate a list of all your installed stuff and then when you do a clean install, you provide the list and ubuntu installs all that stuff. Then all you'd have to do is save your configs (probably back up your home directory or have it on a different disk) and life would be good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For me upgrade experience was so bad. But let me point that I'm not new to ubuntu. I'm a happy user since Hoary and Dapper was the last release I downloaded to install, after that used to upgrade and even when I switched to Xubuntu did this by apt-get install xubuntu-desktop.

In my personal desktop (AMD64/2Gig RAM/Nvidia Geforece 7300LE) there was an issue that I wasn't able to solve, maybe with Nvidia card that makes the machine to freeze randomly, even not doing anything. Almost got myself crazy searching any hint within the system messages and logs but everything seemed to be fine. Also googled a lot, with no success.

Also crash report utility made so many backup files with no advice to me that consumed about 80 Gigs free space i had! I've never had any single dialog box about those, i've only discovered them untill my hard disk was totally out of space. Then downgraded to Feisty wich for me is far more stable, reliable and robust.

Unfortunatelly i was not able to discover the exact conditions that caused the crashes as to file a bug report. but sent many of the automated crash reports generated in the hope that would help developers.

After reading various post from people who had no issues and everithing went just fine to them, turn myself more confident that things should go better with Gutsy. But at the same time I wonder why so huge amount of users voted bad, the percentage almost doubles that of the everything worked fine! I think that should not happened with a stable release. Only justifiable with a beta... but Gutsy is not that anymore!!

Despite of that, I'm still hooked on ubuntu (Xubuntu for me, please ) and hope development team would solve the issues with gutsy and correct the way towards Hardy. I mean, i consider Ubuntu way is turning so *******. I hope that would change...

Maybe someone would think that i'm not the right person to blame as i'm a 2-year forum member with a riduculous participation of 3 posts, but that's because of my language i'm more used to help in another spanish ubuntu forums because i know here are a lot of englsih-spoken that would explain things much better than myself. This single post takes me 1 hour to write forgive my poor english, please.
    Ubuntu on the beach...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My experience was near nightmarish. It didn't recognize an upgrade was available for a LOOOOONG time, and after several attempts at updating 16 packages. when it did, it crashed during the process, rebooted, and it and said i needed 1304 packages. i tried to update that, and it crashed. i rebooted and it never completed a boot session again. i had to reinstall from scratch. fortunately my /home is on another partition. the good news was i was tabula rasa. Disappointingly, I still experienced the blank screen gutsy bug even on the official release iso of kubuntu. and i've now been forced to reconfigure samba (remind me to automate some backup in the near future). and reinstall all the software, which i'm still haven't had time to reinstall all of them because many have to be compiled. so far, i haven't had any problems compiling anything. i have been having problems with Dolphin crashing. i just haven't bothered switching to konqueror as my default yet. i really wanted to give Dolpin a good try.

Page 86 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast