View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

well, i created a bad upgrade for myself on my desktop. (you know, the kind of scary for a new user thing, which i am not, so i only get annoyed) for instance, seeing something downloading and saying "when did i ever install that?" is probably a bad sign. recommendation to others: dont let your system get messy. having to run several things repeatedly just to get every package to configure is not fun.

my laptop, OTOH, with a fairly standard xubuntu 7.04 install from several months ago, was a clean and easy upgrade.
    DO NOT run any command that contains rm in it unless you know what it does. The intentions of some people are malicious; tu ne cede malis! more information.
    registered [linux user: #422056] [ubuntu user: #19016]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Extra,new S-ATA disk installed just days before gutsy came out, so fresh install made sense.

ISO dowload from local ftpsite took only ten mins. Had the disk already partitioned and formatted.
    For some reason i chose ext2 as filesystem, which turned out Ubuntu doesn't like: Got a message in install when choosing partitions that filesystem has non-compatible options.

Decided to let the Gutsy one do it's own formatting in ext3 and within 30mins i was up and running including dowload of propriatry ATI fglrx driver (meaning no compiz). It even set the proper resolution of 1680x1050 on my 20" LCD automaticaly. It required a reboot, but hey...

Great stuff.

Amorok complained when firing up last.fm about not being able to play mp3, so had to get all the dirty stuff, which took a few mins to download and install, but since then:

I'm impressed and thinking about getting an nVidia 8500 just for kicks (and compiz).
    There's more stupidity around than hydrogen, and it has a longer shelflife -- Frank Zappa

Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo-P Intel Core 2 Duo 1.9 DDR2-533 2GB
    GeForce 8500GT Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

New box featuring Asus M2N-VM DVI moboard, AMD Dual Core 4400+ CPU, 2 gigs 800MHz DDR2, onboard nVidia 7050 video with 256 meg shared memory and Hi Def audio.

This same system was initially loaded with Feisty Fawn but there were problems with the video and audio so I held off my client until I could try 7.10 - VERY PLEASED!

After DLing by torrent and burningto CD the installation was perfect including installing the correct nVidia video driver.

Thanks Team Gutsy Gibbon - Very Well Done!

CD Baric

Beans

My upgrade completely failed.

The first thing I tried was upgrading through the Update Manager. After a long wait it reterned complaining it didn´t download all the packages.

Second try was restarting through the Update Manager (servers can be full, I can understand), then the update manager just stayed "not responding" after pressing the button.

I tried a few more times where both the update mnanager would not respond or the downloads would simply stop coming in.

Then I downloaded the alernate CD and tried through that path. First it suggested to upgrade through the internet but then the files would not come in again. So I restarted again and tried directly from the CD. Preparations went okay, it even came up with the fact that certain packages are not supported anymore, but then it failed on 'adjusting the software channels" saying that there was an unknown error and I should report it together with certain files from the I believe /etc/upgrade directory and it reverted.

Tried again through the Update Manager but now from the Dutch servers and switched off all 3rd party sources, but it was on all all night long but still the files did not arrrive.

Tried again with the CD just now and now it says it can't determin the genuity of certain packages (like aMSN and Amarok) at about the same point as before.

Anyone have any suggestion?

All my upgrades from 5.10 always went okay and I don't have any special software running. I might even just delete the partition and start over again, the only ting I am worried about is getting my dual display setup running again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just wait that the server load decrease a little bit IMO, i don't think you can do more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i tried to upgrade my feisty to gusty yesterday. although i had a very fast internet connection i took a error message and couldn't upgrade. i could install it with a new cd.. except having slow update time(in both synaptic and update manager), it is working flawlessly

Beans

I installed on a virtual machine made by VMWare Server 1.0.4 running under Vista <ducks>. Love the new wallpaper but I have no mouse pointer and my two side-by-side monitors now behave like the right screen is above the left (?!?!) . Why my Vista monitor settings have been broken by VMWare (or possibly Gutsy) I can't figure! Very impressed with speed of install tho' (from iso onto VM) and with boot speed also. Hopefully I can get to actually use the booted OS soon too .

Edit: Mouse easily fixed but couldn't resist mentioning that my calendar reported August 22 1938
    Edit II: Found that my monitor arrangement had actually been changed in ATI CCC - perhaps while upgrading VMWare Server from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 <shrugs> . Very mysterious...
    Last edited by marlinman; October 19th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Really should have been a "upgrade failed or didn't even start" choice.
    Have done the upgrade prosess earlier,but this time when I tries the update manager it's just crash.

But I have done an clean install on anoter machine and there the process were painless.

Beans
    Hidden!

i waited 14 hours for 60% and then my connection failed so i am now downloading the alternate cd because i heard that you can upgrade though that. i would wait a week or two if i were you before upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I did a fresh install as I was still running Dapper. It would worked more or less perfectly if it had not been for the usual suspects... my wireless (Ralnk) adapter. But that was a minor hassle, everything else worked perfectly for me.

Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast