View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 41 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I tried to upgrade a few days before the official release, around Oct 15. The upgrade failed midway because I had a conflicting version of some of the libraries manually installed over the existing Feisty versions. Using apt-get and dpkg, I forcefully removed those packages and the upgrade completed smoothly.

Issues after upgrade:

• Compiz fusion wasn't turned on automatically (I needed to individually install xgl, I have a kernel requiring the proprietary fglrx driver)
    • Suspend/Hibernate is broken due to the incompatibility of fglrx with the latest kernel. This could've been explicitly stated in the upgrade. It's an important issue, IMHO
    • Using vpnc with nm-applet no longer saves the group password in keyring forcing me to enter that information each time. This wasn't the case with Feisty.
    • trackerd doesn't work for me. Among the key issues are (i) It doesn't index my music/photos despite specifying the paths (not in my home dir) and reindexing, deleting all tracker state & rebooting (iii) it's search quality is poorer compared to Beagle
    • Evolution 2.12 is badly broken w.r.t. message filters and junk mail scanning for Exchange folders. I couldn't even find this bug in the Gutsy release notes.
    • Firefox's forecastfox was messed up in its display and I had to change to a different weather extension (Weatherbug).
    • Ubuntu's firefox doesn't honor many of my tab extension specifications such as opening windows as tabs.

I have been with Ubuntu since the very first release and I think that this is the worst upgrade of them all. All I have is better eye candy (but what a great eye candy) with key functionality broken.

Despite the complaints, I thank you for all the hard work,

Shomati

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Did a clean install of Xubuntu 7.1, and I'm now experiencing random sound card error when playing online media, or simply playing mp3s on xmms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

well I managed to fix my networking problems
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=repositories
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    ~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Imagination is the key to Success.

Beans

Backup Thunderbird before you start.

Last night with a forecast of two or three hours I left it downloading. Came down in the morning to face question and told it to keep my old settings. It then told me it would take a day and six hours to complete. It did it in about an hour. But while Firefox is as functional as previously, I have no Thunderbird but a blacked box which comes up to say "Failed to execute child process "mozilla thunderbird" (no such file or directory).

Any suggestions?

Might switching to Evolution find the missing files or make recovery impossible. just realised that there was an Evolution in previous setup so will try from there
    Last edited by Ilyan; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: There was little used evolution previously

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Partial Upgrade will run well, but it will pause, awaiting some user input. Click on the word "terminal" on the partial upgrade box, and you will see the text it is waiting for. Work out the correct response; press enter; and it should continue well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I firstly did an upgrade from feisty to Gutsy, had trouble with graphics card (I have an ATI X1650) and compiz. Eventually got to work but there were lots of bits and pieces that I had installed and seemed to cause niggly problems.

I then downloaded ISO to do fresh install but couldnt get live CD to Boot, tried everything but nothing would get a screen to appear.

Downloaded alternative CD and installed from that, Install went very smoothly, very easy install. Again had problems with Graphics. in the end I had to tick the box in restricted drivers, it installed FGLRX, rebooted and got low graphics box, selected my monitor then fglrx propriety drivers rather than opensource (default) and it works excellent.

Then installed Xserver-Xgl via synaptic manager and then compizconfig-settings-manager (ccsm) via synaptic again and everything is smooooth.

Now I can see Gutsy as it should be and am very impressed, everything has a better polish to it, more user friendly / faster and I won`t hesitate to install it on my parents PC.

Go Gutsy Go!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy in kubuntu using adept didn't work for me. The installation phase failed completely. I cancelled the upgrade, ignoring the warning about leaving an unstable system.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, logged in and tried do-release-upgrade. It complained about being unable to get an exclusive lock. ps showed that dpkg was still running but sleeping. Killed that but it restarted. Turned out that adept was still running and spawning dpkg instances. After killing adept and the last dpkg, do-release-upgrade worked.

I did a quick check of xorg.conf before rebooting and whadayano! Everything seems to work as it did before but with a few cosmetic changes. I voted "upgrade worked with some fiddling". Mine is an HP/Compaq TC1100 tablet PC.

Beans

I did a fresh clean install. The live cd starts up perfectly, and everything "seems" to work nicely so I install Gutsy. After installation I reboot and wait for around 6-10 minutes for Ubuntu to boot(the splash screen doesn't even appear). Ubuntu Gutsy looks very nice, but it is that minor or "huge" in my case that is stopping me from using it. I forgot to mention desktop effects didn't work even though they work perfectly with PClinuxOS2007. I'm glad I didn't get rid of the LXF dvd.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My specs:
    Widescreen laptop(1280*800)
    AMD 64 mobility 3000+
    512 ddr sdram(333 mhz)
    60 gb
    intel 2200 wireless chip
    128 vram ATI radeon 9600
    -------------------------------------------------
    All the other Ubuntu's worked nicely, even though the ones coming out after 6.06 messed up the resolution which I fixed using a xorg file from the net.

I guess will wait till 8.04 when they fix most of the bugs.
    Last edited by EdThaSlayer; October 22nd, 2007 at 11:33 AM.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Upgraded flawlessly from Feisty on my Inspiron 1300. Took about an hour.

Beans
    Hidden!

Update of my home system by the web with only one problem. On of the repositories had a problem that was stopping the upgrade. remarked out the repository and everything went well. It was a KDE repository that I am not sure why i have enabled in the first place.

downloaded the Alternate CD to do my laptop install. The CD did not like my system, It hung when selecting upgrade from the disc
    Finally did the laptop update online, no problems with the update process. After reboot screen was on 600*800 and only 3 screen options. Was able to fix it by looking in the past terminal commands (don't use command line often) by using the up key to find it (xrandr....). everything else seems to work.

good upgrade on my systems, but would have not managed it as a newbie.

Page 41 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast