View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 153 of 176 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I cannot figure out how to get the driver working for my ati radeon card.
    I'm new to linux
    so i expected some curves

Beans

I have successfully updated to Gusty (from fiesty)on my Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 which uses the restricted ATI drivers to display. No Video issues with upgrade, but I had to deactivate the medibunu repositories in the synaptic package manager for the upgrade to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Power management and screensaver both do not work after upgrade, but my sound card works with all of my apps now (something about a default card). Not sure what to do about the screensaver / display power mngmt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've two distros of ubuntu and I always install the newer one over the older . now I've Gutsy and feisty . both are working flawlessly.
    Linux user #434738 - Ubuntu user #9391
    Be happy .....think of others and thank GOD.

Kindly mark your thread [SOLVED] if it is done.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I decided to install Kubuntu to Dual Boot with my XP. I backed up everything expecting to have a rough time, which I didn't mind, as I really wanted to cut my teeth hard first time around. I defragged XP, then went and booted up the LIVE cd. Much too my surprise, it installed practically perfectly. I was actually a little disappointed that I wasn't forced to look up a bunch of stuff, but it's got to say a lot about the progress of Linux installation. Just a few things of note:

If you have a usb keyboard and/or mouse, you'll want to check your BIOS settings to make sure USB peripherals are enabled by default. This is because if you use GRUB to dual boot, you won't be able to use a USB keyboard to choose which OS to boot into if USB peripherals aren't enabled by default.

Also, I've read numerous times that you want to Defrag XP before installing Linux alongside with it, I believe to make the partition management a bit smoother.

Finally, the only set up I had to do myself was using apt get to install the nvidia-glx-new driver. And I was done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have for a long time wanted to build a Linux based PC but the one thing that has always put me off is all the hoops you have to go through to install software. This has over the years got much much better, but as I have found out installing the latest Ubuntu release, it is still not quite there yet.

The problem I'm having is installing video drivers for my graphics card. It works on a monitor using the generic drivers, but won't output to a TV using S VHS link.

On the old XP home box it was in before I downloaded the driver and double clicked on it and it installed.

This time around I have to log in as root, turn off the GUI and return back to a CLI to get thing working (unsuccessfully at this time, but I'm still working on it).

I tried Linux once before but got annoyed with all the 'to install this you have to install that utility and another program which allows you access to some part of the OS you need to edit to change the way something else works and so on, etc.'

This time I'm determined to give it a proper go and figure stuff out.

Beans

Hey kids,

Gotta say, the new install for Gusty Gibbon was fantastic! I was an old user of Fawn but abandoned after some Photoshop CS3 needs were needed. I'm now the proud owner of a dual boot again and haven't been back in Windows for 2 days now!

This install, with the exception of a few timeouts while the installation was "scanning mirrors", was practically flawless. I've moved from "get familiar" to "get me some eye candy" faster than any install before and the OS hasn't run into any snags that haven't been easily solved (less one).

Kudos on this build - well put together and so far very slick and reliable.

A few questions from this re-newb:

1. Anyone know of any good click icon sets (I'm a black, sleek, high rez kinda user).
    2. Can't remember how to remove programs, I don't need two mail programs for instance
    3. Anyone recommend a good media player - not that I don't like Rhythm box, but I'd like something a little more along the lines of Amorak for KDE if possible (I'm sticking with Gnome this time, however)?
    4. Emerald themes has a nasty tendancy of causing me to loose my window title bars if I change themes (and themes don't change unless I run the terminal "--replace" command), any thoughts?

Still to test:
    DVD capability
    Torrent downloading (know of a good one folks?)

I'll post my results and my To Dos as I run into them... or just browse the forums like usual!

One final note: Before it seemed to me like the Synaptic Package Manager was easier to use, or less scroll through bunches of packages and more click on the program and all the required packages would auto-select... am I dreaming this? Anyhew, seems to me like that could be a little more user friendly... but all around awesome!

Beans

Over a year ago I bought a newer personal computer, a non-brand PentiumD-3.0ghz/1gb ram, with XPHome, at high expense for my means, but was soon disappointed by poor performance as compared to my XP office system, and by the high cost involved in getting legitimate software for virus protection, productivity, etc. Thus I explored shareware/freeware options for most activities successfully, but crashes and ocassional bugs kept annoying me. Most significant were system crashes that degraded the health of expensive new hard disks (monitored thru several different programs).

My sister then handed me down a Gateway P2-450mhz that I decided to habilitate for my daughter. It however had lost its licensed win98 installation after a years-past hd failure, and ran pirated win2k. I was also thinking of resucitating my old p-133mhz pc (in which I could still run some structural design software up to a years before). Concerned about hard drive health, I thought about using NASLite to make the p-133 into a hd storage server, and thus began to investigate current Linux systems by association.

I was surprised to discover the current state of user-friendliness of many Linux distros, as I had worked in SCO Xenix a decade before (at our engineering office propietary accounting and project management programs still ran out of a UNIX server). Things had come a long way.

There was then a viral outbreak at the office systems that required going into command shells and editing registries, despite the use of three different av-programs. That and another home crash during system idleness spurred to finally take the plunge into Linux.

Wanting something with a friendly GUI, I chose ubuntu after reading good comments on PC Magazine, which praised the live CD system, also downloading DSL for test in the older boxes. Gutsy ran perfectly as live CD and I decided to install it. Being storage-paranoid, I had several backup drives, and chose to use a 200gb one exclusively for the 7.10 install, for a double boot retaining the XP Home.

It worked. Integrated video and audio worked, the two nfts hard drives were instantly recognized and could be accessed without problems. USB, then Ethernet web connections both worked at high speed. MP3 playback was enabled with a couple of clicks. Did not like the video players active, but VLC Player installed perfectly, and the bundled software and repository offerings appeared quite promising. The printer/scanner was actually easier to install than in the xp experience. No need to even open a terminal. The Spanish-language keyboard was also recognized better than in XP. Only the webcam did not work and I had no interest in that. An external digital video converter box is untested but it was buggy in XP already and I have not needed to use it yet.

Firefox ran stable. File operations were fast. USB enclosures (including a VENUS T4U box with 3 drives on it, 500/250/250gb) were easily acccessed. Changed the theme a bit but was ok in general with the environment. I used Deluge satisfactorily and later used WINE to run uTorrent, and later configured dvd playback with a little consultation to the onboard help files. Tested encoding programs.

Hardly used Terminal at all, and I consulted the forum here mostly to sample the community.

There were application halts but NO system crashes. EVER.

The only miiiiiiinor gripe was that the system startup got lengthier,, taking a noticeable time before loading the GRUB, but once there Gutsy loaded so fast I did not care.

Ubuntu is now my main home system. The only thing I still need XP regularly for is STAADPRO structural design software. (Which along with Autocad, is what keeps me from switching everyone at the office, too).

I then tried installing Puppy Linux into the p2-450 gateway, an excellent top of the line system for its time, which had the first dvd player I ever saw. Puppy however ran into trouble with the maxed up 384mb ram, some of which may be working erratically from my past clumsy experiences in system mantainance. My tinkering made things worse and not only Puppy would not load, win2k would no longer boot, having messed up the bios setting. BUT to my surprise, Gutsy ran perfectly on it from the live CD. Sound card, video card, internet ethernet access, USB, everything worked. It reassured me I had not killed the old machine.

I also tested Gutsy on a P3-899 HP I was thinking of buying as an extra, but though with 384ram it seemed responsive, the integrated-video displayed annoying vertical lines and "grit" over nice bright colors. But a test win2k install gave me only 800x600 video resolution, so ubuntu had actually made better use of the system.

Also this month, another virus scare had nod32 locate a nasty virus it could not erradicate, so I simply loaded the ubuntu liveCD in the office DELL P4-3.0's and manually deleted the offending files.

My Ubuntu 7.10 experience is great. The system fulfills my needs, and I have needed almost no command line work. My sister recently used it to do web browsing and printing without needing special instructions on its being a "different OS". Everything was intutive.

I think part of what made things so easy for me was my use of an independent hard drive for the install, and the generic-ness of my non-brand machine. I will test Fluxbuntu and Xubuntu in the Gateway soon, using an old 3gb drive for the install.

Any future computer I set up will also run Ubuntu or a derivative.

I live in Honduras, Central America, where 400 dollars is more than most people earn, and having a modern, topnotch OS that is free and works in generic and old hardware is something great. I will push ubuntu and other forms on linux on several people who can benefit.

I hope my eventual upgrade to Hardy proves as easy.

Muchas gracias.

Jorge Rapalo
    Last edited by ksennin; February 15th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MailmanTX View Post
    Hey kids,
    2. Can't remember how to remove programs, I don't need two mail programs for instance

3. Anyone recommend a good media player - not that I don't like Rhythm box, but I'd like something a little more along the lines of Amorak for KDE if possible (I'm sticking with Gnome this time, however)?

Still to test:
    DVD capability
    Torrent downloading (know of a good one folks?)
    2. If you added them thru the Package Manager it is just a matter of opening it up and deselecting as active the one you wish to remove.

I used Deluge for downloads and it worked quite well. However, as I save torrents sometimes in removable drives to be taken to other systems, the lack of a "Force Re-check" option made me run uTorrent in Wine instead. Looks funny but works great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

HI guys

I am a newbie, do not know

I have downlade install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

How to do i untar it?

what the the command please?

Page 153 of 176 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast