View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 175 of 176 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1756

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

[Deleted]

Wrong post
    Last edited by csmth; April 24th, 2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

i spose you going to have problems with any os upgrade/install
    Evil terminator ran on windows, the good terminator ran on ubuntu. shows you that it is good to switch or sarah connor would have been killed by bill gates.

Beans

Hardy screwed my HP desktop up so bad I had to restore my Gutsy backup. Sudo didn't work, gksudo worked after clicking it a second time and then quit completely. It borked my wireless, I got it working intermittently but it finally quit as well. Then the system shutdown button quit working and with no sudo I was had to use the power button to shutdown. Pretty much the worse install of any version of Ubuntu ever and I started with hoary! Sad.

Beans

I'm getting some kind of initramfs problem when trying to install or launch the live-cd. It should be solved by adding irqpoll noirqdebug but it doesn't work anymore. :/

Beans

I upgraded using torrents and was very quick. I have listed the steps I followed here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/u...sy-gibbon.html

Beans

I performed an upgrade from 7.10, and it went very well. I found it less painful than all previous upgrades.

I've always enjoyed upgrading Ubuntu, even when there were life-threatening complications (threatening the computer, of course)

There are 4 main issues I've experienced... Perhaps others will benefit from this:

1. Browsing Windows shares is broken in Nautilus/gvfs (not sure which is responsible). This can be a show-stopper for many noobs.

2. My Compiz-Fusion settings were wiped out; not just the active settings, but the exported settings too! My Emerald settings survived. Backup your settings beforehand! (always recommended)

3. After returning from Hibernate or Suspend events, I have to open a terminal, and enter:

sudo ifdown ath0
    ..and..
    sudo ifup ath0

to be able to access the network again. I know there's a fix, just haven't had time to implement it yet.

4. I couldn't get 'sudo' to work. It would return an error something to the tune of "can't find host". Edit /etc/hosts and make sure lines 1 and 2 read:

127.0.0.1 localhost <hostname>
    127.0.1.1 <hostname>

Replace <hostname> with the hostname as entered in the network-admin program, minus the '<' '>'. Mine initially had a bunch of other text added.

Don't forget to sudo! eg: sudo gedit /etc/hosts

IMHO, the release should have been delayed until #1 was fixed, as it's a high-priority bug, and has given lots of people grief.

(ps: feel free to correct any mistakes I made - I'm still getting the hang of Linux)

(pps: I haven't had this much fun with an OS since the Commodore Amiga)

Beans

So far, it looks like the install went very well -- took an awfully long time, though, and my Desktop Effects (compiz) appears to be disabled at the moment. I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to fix, as it's been working for quite some time now flawlessly.

Beans

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I am a home user with a simple set up so little to go wrong.
    Apart from the long download of the new packages everything went flawlessly.
    First glances are good. The new firefox works very well, and was glad to see that it now has similar functionality to Epiphany i.e. type your bookmark straight into the location bar.
    All my music, videos and photos work well with no need for any tweaking. This was a first for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Everything went fine on my personal desktop, I had to reinstall Guild Wars under Wine for some reason, but that's not part of Ubuntu so I put upgrade - worked flawlessly. The webserver at work upgraded just fine. Since they generally wouldn't like playing Guild Wars at work I don't have Wine installed on that one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Upgrade went flawlessly. The only thing that doesn't work is my zen Ubuntu recognizes it through lsusb, but that's about it.

Page 175 of 176 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176 LastLast