View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 13 of 176 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

First I did an upgrade on my x64 installation of Feisty. It worked mostly, but I lost graphics. This helpful window came up and asked me for monitor and graphics card specifications, so I entered them but only got 800x600 resolution.

My system is:
    AMD Athlon x64 AM2
    nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256 Mb
    Compaq S720 monitor (which btw isn't listed, but S710 is so I chose that one)

I actually didn't even try to resolve this. I just downloaded the CD and did a clean install (I have /home on a separate partition so it's the easiest way anyways). The clean installation worked great immediately, but since I could only choose one I answered on the upgrade issue in the poll.
    Just trying to help...

Beans

I tried to upgrade, Nvidia-glx failed, then soffice.bin crashed and now nothing loads at all. Looks like I'm downloading the CD and starting afresh.

Beans

upgrade went really slowly, probably because everyone else in the world was also upgrading from feisty.

The upgrade removed beryl from my computer which is unfortunate because I'm already missing some of the cooler effects that aren't included with fusion like the magic lamp and fast window select. But at least it's more stable.

Firefox got seriously messed up which might be because it was open during the upgrade. Basically it froze every couple of seconds while browsing just about any site, with the exception of this one. The fix was to rebuild my mozilla profile by renaming .mozilla in my home directory.

Beans

The upgrade failed.I received a reply that several repositories could not be reached I tried to upgrade through the update manager. The servers are obviously going into meltdown. I'll leave it for a few days now.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I have not even got past the first install screen.

Gutsy thrashes away at my floppy drive then crashes out at the first hurdle. I've tried the alternate iso with no more luck. I've even disconnected the floppy drive and disabled the FDD controller in BIOS but that makes no difference.

I've been using 6.06 successfully but I really want to upgrade. Is there no-one who knows what this problem is???

Beans

Angry Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

The upgrade process from feisty to gutsy gave me troubles!!

On Xubuntu I started the upgrade graphically and saw it downloading the files and upgrading my /etc/apt/sources.list to gutsy. The upgrade process asked me some questions about files under /etc like passwd (this one I let the upgrade script install newly). So far, so good.

However, I had to leave for work and thought I would finish it when I got back.

Then when I returned from work, I got back at my PC and wanted to start again.

Troubles awaited....because the xscreenserver 4.2. was refusing to log me in again, and kept complaining after I had given it my correct password. The answer I got was that my authentication had failed.

I then managed to ssh into the machine, but I couldn't get my screen back so I couldn't know where the upgrade script was....

I rebooted and saw a glimpse of the upgrade script, that it would be finished oin 2 minutes and then after the machine rebooted, I saw that there was a kernel panic and I couldn't start th PC.

I then reverted to systemrescuecd and got my files of the harddrive and now I'm using the xubuntu 7.10 iso to install the system.

Beans

Upgraded from Fiesty to Gutsy via update-manager.

A few minor issues like it's hard to keep the NVIDIA drivers installed and restricted-manager doesn't work well from the command line (what happened to bulletproof-X?)

When logged in Gnome, clicking the red logout button in the upper right freezes X completely. Have to SSH in adn kill the process or ctrl-alt-backspace out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did a fresh install on my Compaq 2100 laptop, 40GB HDD, AMD Athlon XP2400+, ATI IGP320M. It went well, despite the fact that my BIOS has randomly decided not to recognise my CD-ROM drive anymore (it's a gamble whether or not it will find it when I boot up). Really only two things have cropped up so far: X decided my graphics card was a "vesa", but this was easily fixed in xorg.conf (switched to the "radeon" driver). The other problem is my wireless card, which is a Netgear WG111v2 usb dongle. I've had this problem since Feisty. Network manager for some reason does not like this card, it hardly ever connects to an open network and has never connected to a secure network. Up till now I've just used the "sudo dhclient wlan0" command to connect to an unsecure network and wifi-radar to connect to a WEP secured network, I've not had much luck with WPA. The wierd thing is, is that KNetworkManager works almost perfectly. Well, it hasn't been too much trouble though, no worries right now. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with 7.10!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Within the past two weeks I upgraded from dapper to edgy to feisty and now to gutsy. In general, no major problems. Evolution and Firefox kept all their settings (except it took a bit of work to get Flash fully upgraded). My big problem is that my repository list seems to still have some remnants of dapper, so I get some errors every time I refresh the package list. I'm going to do some more searching before posting a new thread about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

X server issues when attempting dual monitors via Screens and Graphics.

HP dv2415nr Lappy w/Nvidia 6150 integrated.

Also, after MUCH dickering around and finally using the nvidia-settings utility to force fix xorg, I got dual monitors working and Compiz, but frequent and random lockups ........still..........occur. This is an issue that follows Feisty up. Will probably follow into the next release too as its apparently not considered serious that peoples X screens are buggy while in Compiz, and dual monitors via that joke they threw in with Gutsy called "Screens and Graphics" cant properly setup xorg.

Page 13 of 176 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast